THR Kim’s THR recovery

Rogue0208

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking for a few days and decided to actually say hi. I am in need of some support and this seems like a great community to get that from.

I am 45F, LTHR on March 1, RTHR on March 21. I have rheumatoid arthritis which rapidly progressed in my hips. My recovery from LTHR was amazing. By day 5, I was off pain medication and walking with only a cane. I was actually using the cane for the pain in my non repaired right hip because left felt so good. I know this is not typical for recovery and I was very fortunate.

Fast forward to RTHR. I am now three weeks post surgery and I found out at my post op appointment last week that the bone in the socket was so degenerated that the cup would not fit and he had to put two screws in my pelvis. On xray, it looks like one of these screws is protruding out of my pelvis into the space in the middle (I have my xray if anyone would like to see it). I was told that the bone needs to grow around it. Unfortunately, I’m still using pain killers and still walking with the walker. The pain in my right hip is so severe when I put weight on it or sit in certain positions. It takes my breath away and is definitely worse than pre-surgery. The pain is in the groin area and in my buttocks. I’ve been in contact with my surgeon and he has looked at my X-rays multiple times and said everything looks great. I have another follow up appointment next week and he instructed me to only do toe touch weight bearing until I see him again next week.

I am so discouraged. I was in tears yesterday. I know my body has been through a lot (dislocation, extreme twisting, etc etc) but I expected it to be at least marginally better by now, not worse than pre-surgery. Any words of advice/experience/support would be greatly appreciated.

:welome:

I'm sorry you're experiencing a hard time with your second hip. My experience is mainly knees so I'll ask some more hip-savvy folks to check in.

Meanwhile, it may not address your specific concerns, but here are some of our post-op articles.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It is pretty common to have screws, so please try not to worry about that. I'm sorry that this hip is more of a challenge than your first one. It does sound like the surgeon had to do some extra work and that can cause more discomfort after surgery than a hip with few issues other than the arthritis.

This is where we advise people to try and have some patience. Be sure you're taking your pain meds on a schedule as long as you need them. Ice and elevate as much as you can. It will help if you read the articles above that were left for you. They have a bunch of helpful information you can use.

Let us know how the next appointment goes. Here's hoping things will be a bit better with each week.

Welcome.
That's a lot to go through in a short period of time so I'll echo everyone else's advice to try & take it slow & chill.
I had pain in groin & buttocks for awhile. Sometimes when you sit feel like you are sitting on a tennis ball.
If I overdo I can still get the groin ache now & then.
Are you icing? that does help.
Let us know how it all goes when you see your doctor again.

Hello, I had much the same journey just a few more weeks apart including a screw in the socket of hip #2 due to extra deterioration. I too had lots of butt pain in both hips. My PT has been giving me very light stretching exercises to loosen up and that has really helped. I hope that you find relief from your pain because it’s wonderful to have the painful hips gone!

@Rogue0208 Those x-rays with the screws sure are a shock to see! I remember the first time I saw mine ... :yikes: But once you are fully healed you will not even notice them. In fact you will probably get to a time when you even forget you have artificial hip joints .... I did :)

Hi Kim,
How did your appointment go last week?
Please let us know if you don't mind sharing. I noticed you are one month post op to date.
I hope with time and patience things begin looking up for you. :console2:
Take care.
@Rogue0208

Hi @Layla ! Thanks for checking in. My appointment was informative but disappointing. I met with the PA that was in surgery with me and she said it was a rough surgery. My socket was more degenerated than what showed in xray and I basically had no bone in the back of the socket. So when they put the cup implant in, they couldn’t secure it well, even with the screws. She said that it’s basically slightly moving every time I step off and it will become more secure when the bone grows into it, which could be 3 months. In the meantime, I feel exactly the same, lots of pain whenever I put full weight on it. Still walking with the walker. I go back and see my surgeon on May 7 for another check up. For now I’m working hard at just not bearing any weight on it, which is harder than you’d think!!

Left leg is great though!! Just some regular soreness and tweaks every so often.

So for now, it is what it is and I just have to trust this process. Thanks again for checking in.

Still walking with the walker. I go back and see my surgeon on May 7 for another check up. For now I’m working hard at just not bearing any weight on it, which is harder than you’d think!!
I can imagine that weight bearing restrictions are difficult, it's unnatural to begin with, but understand why it's necessary. I hope your appointment on the 7th goes well. Its a special day today...Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty. I hope today is a good one for you, Rogue0208
@Rogue0208

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks