Bilateral TKR Kathi777's New Knees

Good to hear you're in a room. Be sure to get your meds on schedule to stay ahead of the pain.

i walked down to pt not even 24 hours after being operated on. i am doing ok. left knee is hurting worse and range of motion not as good. all in all i feel ok.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

left knee is hurting worse
Each and every joint replacement is different - even on the same person. Ask for ice and elevate if you can. Sounds like you are doing great!

@Kathi777 .... I've started a recovery thread for you and now you can continue to post updates here in the Recovery forum. Congratulations on your new knees! It sounds like you're off to a great start.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you. Rest easy, now. It's recovery time!!!

Welcome to the bilateral club! Glad surgery went well and you are on your way to recovery.

Congrats. I am one day ahead of you with only 1 knee done. You seem to be doing very well.

i am being moved to the step down rehab floor today. all the big bandages came off and thigh pain blocks are out.

@Kathi 777 - here is your post-op reading:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

they must think i am super woman as not even day to rehab place and changed pain meds. not sure how that will affect me. when i get in pain i shake like a leaf. hope this is strong enough.

At least you will be in charge of the pain meds at home. I too shake with pain. Good luck with the journey home. I hope your recovery is smooth. Keep us posted.

Make sure you insist on having adequate pain medication, given on time. If it isn't cutting the pain, insist on a review and keep on asking until you get something that works for you.
Don't go home until you are on a regime that controls your pain well.

they must think i am super woman as not even day to rehab place and changed pain meds
It is funny how they do that:) When I had the surgery last October they had me on a morphine pump. They took it away on the second day because I wasn't using it enough...they were good at bringing the meds timely though.
Feel better!

Make sure they know if you're in pain and be sure to get your meds on schedule. I hope this step down is a good fit for you.

i'm actually feeling pretty good I've done stairs today I also did it's getting into a car and they have you stand on around flap what she disk and they see what your balances like to have you throw beanbags I did that today I have a practice with the wheelchair which I don't think I'll be needing a wheelchair at all. they do want you to na bring your leg up into a band with a sheet pulley type thing that was a little painful but it was doable I'm wanting to get out of this rehab quit because they feel pretty good and I don't want to go backwards!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kathi777 - Welcome to the Bilateral Club from me too! Sounds like you are doing well. When I went into Rehab they upped my pain meds to something stronger since I was doing both physical and occupational therapy.
You sound like you are doing better than I was at 3 days out. Of course, I had a slight heart issue in recovery, (too much pain meds stopped my heart for 7 seconds!!) so they were pretty easy on me until the third or fourth day because I was still in the cardiac unit and not on the ortho floor...Thinking back though, my pain was not all that well controlled, as when I got to rehab they upped me to stronger Percocet, then things were much better. If you are doing all that, getting in a car and stairs already, you can probably go home in a day or two!
Glad to hear you are doing so great!
Blessings,
Lene

I also practiced the car and stairs. Once I could do 13 steps I was on my way home as I have 13 steps to get to the main floor of my ranch home. After I'm up those stairs everything is very close and not a problem. Don't worry about the wheelchair, you'll only use it in rehab and they usually had an aide push me to PT as it was too far to walk at first. However I did get pretty good at it when I was in for the infection, I wheeled myself all over the unit.

thursday, saturday nights both woke up with bed sweated up. iam getting a fever, uti and chest x-ray negative. i think i could just be one of those people who have a sensitivity that will work itself out. feel like they bull doze you into rehab and make you stay the 5 days

Night sweats are typical for many TKRs, but I'm glad they did some testing. When I was in transition unit they brought me a fan from their lunch room.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back