K Wires Smooth Pins Hip Replacement

Squeaks123

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
HI guys,
Just found this website and very glad I have. What a wealth of info and support. I'm in my mid forties from the UK.

I have an upcoming THR shortly and during the same op I will have 3 hip pins removed. I am more nervous/concerned about the removal of the pins.

The surgeon indicated that removing my pins can pose difficulty/complexity to the op as my 3 pins inside my hip which I have had for almost 30 years are smooth K Wires which can not be screwed out as the ends of the pins are smooth. Surgeon indicated it will be a challenge and he may have to consult on the best approach on removing these. Perhaps cutting a part of each pin in half, removing these and then pulling out the remaining halves. I am told the op because of the problem with the pins should last around 3 hours.

Another surgeon I saw confirmed these concerns and indicated that the best approach to removing these pins will most likely be realised after my leg is opened.

Has anyone had any experience with such pin removals as mine during a hip replacement op?

Thank you for your assistance.

:wave:Hi and welcome to Bonesmart!
I believe @Eman85 may have had pins removed?

I know there have been several on the forum and hopefully they will pop by and add their thoughts.

What is your upcoming surgery date?
We will introduce you to some folks that will be recovering along side you and add it to your signature so folks know when they can cheer you on!:yahoo:

Hi mojo333.

thanks so much for your reply.
My op date is October 25th

kind thanks

Hi, Welcome and thanks for joining us!
Wishing you the best. We'll be here for you as you move toward surgery
and through recovery. Stop by often for encouragement and support.
A great week to you!
@Squeaks123

I had pins inserted into my femur almost 50 years ago. I knew they would pose a problem when I needed hip replacement. A few years after they were inserted I still had hip pain and an OS said that the pins were the problem and attempted to remove them, which he didn't achieve.

Fast forward to this year when I went for the THR. My OS knew what he was up against and was very confident he would get them out. I was the first in for surgery to allow time for any extra work which he did have to do.

Post surgery he came into the recovery area to give me the details and the xray of what he did. There is one tiny piece still in me as a souvenir but all of the rest are gone. What was done in my case was they removed the head of the femur and worked on the pins from that side instead of trying to remove them from the outside of the femur. Worked fine for me.

Find an OS that's done a lot of hips and has done pins and it will work.

@Squeaks123 We have had several members with the same concern here recently. Our medical expert @Josephine is the best person to address your concerns. Your surgeon should be able to address this "challenge" fairly easily. Worry not!

Oh my goodness gracious me! Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill! When I worked in theatre and a case came in that had K wires (proper name Kirchner Wires!) I just made sure there were narrow nosed pliers, small mole wrenches and any other device I thought would be useful! I don't ever remember it being too much of a problem getting them out simply because they were smooth and had no thread on them!

Hi Eman85.

Many thanks for your reply and was very interesting to read and very much appreciated. Good to hear it worked and after 50 years of those pins. My surgeon suggested he would do the same, removing the head of the femur then cutting the pins and removing the halves.

I saw two surgeons and both opinions were the same though both surgeons have not removed my type of smooth ended pins before. Maybe I should have searched for a surgeon in my city who has removed these type of pins during a THR but it's booked now and I'm just hoping this does not result in an issue having chosen a surgeon who has not performed such a procedure.

Thanks for your assistance. My next concern is whether to choose spinal or general anaesthesia. I'll check the forums on this.

Thanks again

Thanks Josephine and Jaycey for your reply. I guess I'm over worrying this issue. Appreciate your input and great to feel like part of a community sharing our concerns and advice.
Thanks also to Layla for your welcome.

Actually, we're going to find it more and more difficult to find surgeons who have done this kind of thing. It was 30+ years since yours where put in which means, if I'm not mistaken, that you were about 16b yrs old when this procedure was done. I'm now 76 going on 77 and was 47 at that time! Memories of these old procedures won't be around much longer as all us old'ns drop off the perch!

I also had pins in my hip that needed to be removed for my THR. My surgeon made such a huge issue of them beforehand and I was scared to death. My surgery did last longer than most and my incision was a little larger. It didn't impact my recovery at all though. I had a fast recovery with minimal pain.

As for anesthesia... I've had both spinal and general and I prefer spinal. After general anesthesia, I felt quite unwell for days. With spinal, I felt like myself within an hour or so.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Josephine you make a great point.

These are old school pins way back and a good many surgeons prob have not come across these.

Indeed I was 16 yr old lad with a limp and a twinkle in my eye when had them inserted.

Thanks Alexthecat for your post.

Interesting reading your post and also your view and experience with anaesthesia. Reading other threads Spinal option seems to be popular and recommended.

I've had numerous ortho surgeries along with my 3 hip surgeries. All were general anesthesia until the THR. I was given the option and went with the spinal with sedation. Where was this all of those surgeries ago? It's the only way to go as far as i'm concerned. I awoke in recovery and felt clear headed and ready for anything.

• Agree
Reactions: dlp
Ive only had 1 op many years ago and had GA. never heard of spinal until recent.
It sounds like a better post op experience from reading peoples views on it.
I wonfer if I will be given this ootion pre op . It would be nice to have a choice of either.
The notion of avoiding nausea and also acting as a post op pain killer as legs are both are numb sounds advantageous though some people have mentioned the idea of spinal anaesthesia not having any feeling in legs for a spell post op and messing with needles and the spine might freak them out.
But its good to have this choice / option and it seems many prefer.

I'd go with spinal and sedation any day! Like alex, it was days before I really felt well after GA. I took anti-nausea drugs before and after surgery. But the groggy feeling was a real problem. With a spinal you are awake as you are wheeled into recovery and can have a meal soon after.

I feel after talking to nearest and dearest im now stuck in left field re spinal as they all seem to think its a dangerous procedure if done wrong.
They worry about worse case paralysis.
I guess I have to go with what feels comfortable but most on here so far seem to give spinal the thumbs up.

@Squeaks123 I,had my first THR four years ago. General anesthesia. I had a later surgery, around 3pm, woke up very groggy, no nausea but no interest in food. Took five steps, got light headed.

Fast forward to 9 weeks ago. Had my second THR. 12 pm surgery, general anesthesia. Woke up, thought my surgeon hit me with a truck and the pain was awful....For two minutes! Got to my room, had to pee, went for a walk, went to the recliner, had a sandwich....excellent experience.

Eight days ago, I had a TKR. 7:30am surgery. I was still deciding on general or spinal when the anesthesiologist walked in: same one from eight weeks prior! I went with general again as he said he’d do the same cocktail. I woke up great, went to my room, got up to pee, took a walk, had lunch....another great experience. When I schedule my other knee, I will find a way to request the same anesthesiologist.

There are risks to any procedure. But rest assured only an expert will be giving you a spinal. I have been on this board for years and have never come across anyone who had more than a headache from a spinal. Perhaps have your nearest and dearest read this article from our Library Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

Thanks Inkedmarie and Jaycey.

Some really good informative posts. Greatful for all your advice.
If I choose GA ill ask for them.to pump in some anti sickness to help post op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back