Just a few more days

pajstone

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone, I am scheduled for a LKR on Monday August 14. I have found this site so helpful in preparing for the coming surgery. I am actually just ready to get it done, having waited a number of months. I am a 67 year old retired nurse which is not always a help when switching to the patient side. I also am going into this knowing the right knee will need the same surgery in a year or two. Looking froward to hearing about other August journeys on this board, as well as those more experienced members.

Hi :welome:My surgery is on the 15 so I'm right behind you. I'm so ready to get this over with too. I also find this site a lot of help and relief we are one big family. I'm sure others will be along soon. Take care and well wishes for your surgery. Have a blessed day.

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart, Nursey! I'm an old nurse too. What speciality did you work in? Mine - surprise, surprise, was orthopaedic surgery! And yes, I too found it quite a challenge to become a patient!

Here's some reading you might find helpful

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks for the reading material! I was in Psychiatric nursing - pretty far from Orthopedics :) My last 15 years was administrative. I won' be telling the staff I am a nurse - I don't want anyone assuming I know more than I do!

I also am going into this knowing the right knee will need the same surgery in a year or two
Having had 2 dodgy knees also, and having both done together, I am an advocate of getting it done ASAP and getting on with life, rather than waiting. Just something to think about, obviously I don't know your circumstances.

Hi Roy, I wish I could do a bilateral - it would be nice to not anticipate a second one. I had a DVT in the left leg 20 years ago. I have some post thrombic swelling that is easy to manage usually but will need major babying post op so not a good scenario to add a second leg. My doctor insists on a 6 month wait for everyone. I am not sure why but it works for me as right knee is currently much more tolerable than left.

Welcome to the group. I am scheduled for LTKR on August 16, so I think that covers the first part of the week. Let the count down begin!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom