TKR Jean6183 Recovery thread<

jean6183

Country
United States United States
Update. Came out of surgery with really no pain & it’s continued that way. I’m
Sure it’s from the nerve Block. I was told it was so bad when he got
In there, he didn’t know how I could walk. I’m feeling a little pain maybe level 2 . Here’s hoping the pain doesn’t get out of control

I got up with phys therapy yesterday she didn’t even need to help me. Just used walker.

Excellent news. We'll be here for you when that block wears off. Looking very forward to hearing more and congratuations for being on the "other side". I'm a running that way as fast as my bumb knee will allow.

My block is wearing. Off & it’s getting annoying.

Glad to hear you did well. I did as well but did have a bit of a rough night pain wise. They are dosing me every 4 hrs which is helping.

@jean6183 ,
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Jean6183.
Welcome to the otherside!
Here is your copy of the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Best wishes for your recovery!

I came home Thurs afternoon. My pain level is a 1-2 Icing, elevating & meds. I’m also up walking a bit.

So far, so good. It sounds like you're doing well. :yay: Keep to your pain control schedule (you'll be glad you did) and take lots of naps. Sometimes sleep isn't easy at first.

Yup. Sounds like you're off to a good start! Keep on keeping on.

Thanks everyone. I have my pain meds on schedule and have cut from 2 pills every 4 hours to one pill.. If it gets worse , 'll add the second one back. My pain level is 1-2 on day 4.. I ice all the time and elevate.. My therapist wont' push me and we talked about the aggressive type, which she isn't. I'm feeling very good about this...

My pain level is 1-2 on day 4.. I ice all the time and elevate.. My therapist wont' push me and we talked about the aggressive type, which she isn't. I'm feeling very good about this...
This is fantastic for only 4 days out! You have the right routine and your PT sounds perfect!

Thank you.. I will be doing therapy 2 x's a week and the rest at home.. Even at home, she only wants me to do it 2 times a day so I don't over do it.....

Just keep moving around. Don't sit for too long. No need for bouts of exercises.

I agree with the no need for bouts of exercises, but this early there isn’t a need to move around a lot, either. Plenty of time for that later. Right now just move your knee gently.

This is because:

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

I just meant things like walking to the bathroom or kitchen sort of thing. I used to pace to my front door and back once in a while just to keep moving. Gradually increased to a walk outside and so on. No bends and stretches or squats etc.

Today is week 2. I have been walking more in the house and walked four houses down to the mailbox today.. My foot slipped off the motorized cart at the grocery store today and I think my flexion will be 100 tomorrow at PT ( just kidding) I yelled for my daughter to lift my leg and i was in tears... Im still al little sore, but icing like crazy .. Two days ago, I was able to do ten leg raises, so I think my quads are waking up .... I"m still careful not to over do it, because I did twice and my leg was throbbing . I know this is a slow process and i'm trying to be good to myself.

Sounds like good progress. Your ROM might be better than you think. I was amazed that mine was measured at 90 at three weeks out. I'd not thought it was anything like that based on my own guesstimate.

I"m about 4½ weeks now. I didn't get my measurements done today, but last week, I was at 100 on bend without any stretching and I'm just about straight. PT added some leg presses and low weight and some bands. Still can't walk down the stairs normal but that's because I still have swelling and my bend isn't far enough yet.

I was told I could drive this week and I'm only doing it sparingly because I get tired so easily. Is that normal at 4½ weeks? I still don't have much pain and haven't since surgery. I ice all the time and finally started sleeping in my bed this week.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft