Ice machines

tollertwins

Country
United States United States
So I was thinking of getting one of these to make icing easier on both myself and hubs.

We’re dividing the house off so that I have the master bedroom area and he and the dogs have the rest of the house (don’t want my old, blind, deaf dog knocking into me after surgery! :yikes:). I’ll have a little fridge w snacks, but nothing big enough to hold ice packs. I was thinking about using alcohol gel packs instead of ice because they stay cold longer.

My worry is whether there is so much “stuff” (cords, hoses, etc) that you are in danger of getting tangled up getting out of bed? Will also have a bedside lamp and places for my iPad and phone. It was just sounding like a lot of cord type things...

I have a Breg Polar Pack. It has a hose to the pad you place on you. It has a small cord that plugs in the wall. Didn't have any problems with it and early days my wife would move it to the bedroom when I was going to bed and then back to the living room after I got up. After the first few days it was just left in the living room next to the chair.

I'm scheduled for April replacement of left hip and in one of my pre-surgery meetings, I asked the physio about ice machines and she said in her view, they were of more use for knee than hip. But based on what I've read here already, seems very useful and so I will be purchasing one myself.

I have a DonJoy Iceman which was recommended following rotator cuff surgery. It helped a great deal. Following my THR, I will definitely use it. Probably get a new replacement pad.

Last edited:
I have the Ossur cold rush and still use it periodically. It was a blessing after my THR.

The great thing about these machines is that you can run the cold water through the pads for about 5 hours continuously as opposed to ice packs for 15 minutes every hour. It was great to use overnite for my shoulder surgery.

Hi @tollertwins :hi:
Best wishes for your big day on Monday.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
Will look forward to your recovery thread.

I have a Breg vPulse that was prescribed for my hip arthroscopy. Insurance covered it because the primary purpose was DVT prevention. The compression/ice sleeve was a blessing. I could wear it all night while I slept to help with swelling and pain. If you can get an ice machine I would recommend.

Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing the Breg Polar Care Kodiak and now my question is around what's best to put under the cold pad? I didn't order any of their pads thinking there's cheaper alternatives - terry cloth towel, elastic bandage?

I just put it on my pants,shorts or pajamas. I kept a small towel handy if I wanted to move it to my knee while wearing shorts. I also used the towel rolled up to keep the pad against my hip while sitting in a chair. Do water bottles fit in your cooler? Mine held 4 water bottles perfectly so we kept extra water bottles in the freezer so I could rotate them out. I wouldn't have to fool with ice cubes and just left the water in it and dropped replacement frozen bottle in and I was good to go.

Thanks @Eman85 - that makes sense to just do it over the pj's. Can't imagine I'll be getting into the tux and dancing for a few weeks at least! And yes, just tested that 3 or 4 standard plastic water bottles fit fine so pulling empties out of the recycle bin now and freezing a bunch.

Y
Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing the Breg Polar Care Kodiak and now my question is around what's best to put under the cold pad? I didn't order any of their pads thinking there's cheaper alternatives - terry cloth towel, elastic bandage?

You'll be glad you got it. I had the same unit in the hospital and they sent it home with me. It does help a lot.

That's great that they gave you something like that to take home. I ordered one today, should be here on Sunday. I had bought a bunch of gelpaks. They only lasted 10-15 minutes before getting to what felt like room temp. Sunday is prep day around here.

The machine is so much better than ice or ice packs. You can leave it on for hours and it's still cold. It won't damage your skin like an ice pack, and you can sleep on it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom