I just fell on my new knee:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluehydrangea

4 1/2 months and I was doing great. Just tripped on of those parking curbs and landed very hard on my new knee. It was bleeding slightly on a small part of my scar, the skin is pretty scraped up and I can see some visible swelling. Didn't land on the knee cap but seems to be more right below on the top of the tibia. I've been icing and resting since then and the only noticeable change I seem to have (other than what I can see) is that I can't bend it as much as I was able to before the fall.

I have my last check up with my os on Tuesday....thankfully. He's not going to be happy when he sees what I've done but am hoping I didn't do any damage to the joint.

If I did any serious damage do you think I'd have other signs of it? I can't stop crying because I'm so upset that I did this. He told me the only thing that could hurt my new knee would be a fall and I was so careful for so long. I just don't know what happened today.

Mary Ellen
LTKR 11-30-09

Mary Ellen, relax. Those chaps are so tough, you'd need a sledge hammer to knock them loose! The reason you can't bend it as much is because you're sore and swollen from the fall. Elevate and ice, remember? And take some Tylenol and ibuprophen to ease things. Rest it and it will settle down. Don't worry about having lost any ROM or anything - won't happen!

You're also feeling tearful and anxious because of the shock of the fall, the scare it gave you and impact. Just get yourself a nice tot of brandy or something and chill out with a nice movie for the rest of the day. You might even feel stiff and sore tomorrow so don't worry if you do. A fall like that can take a day or two to get over.

But your knee replacement will be fine.

Okay now? :cnsl:

don't worry, Mary Ellen, the first fall is always the most spectacular!! I ran into church last year when I was three weeks out to drop off a dish for a funeral. I ran in and then when I came out, I saw lots of folks coming into t he funeral. I tried to run out the side way, but my toe hit a plastic thingy that held the hose around the edge of the yard---and I went flying, head first. I tried to catch up the first three steps, but no--it was face plant time. so, there I am, brushing off garden dirt from my face, neck, hands, etc and trying to be invisible at the same time!!!

My second fall, I fell about two hundred yards while huckleberry picking--just tripped over some grass and went head first down a big slope!! The worst thing is that along the way, I dropped my bag of Hucks!!!! I was inconsolable on that one!!!

So, just dust yourself off and smile---was it a good fall? Kelly

Mary Ellen, like you I took a hard fall directly on my knee on the concrete about 6 months out. I was scared to death. But Jo is telling you the truth. My surgeon verified that no damage was done and it really isn't possible to damage the implant with a fall. You'll be okay.....believe me, EVERYONE falls at one time or another!! It's just part of life even when you're being careful.

Thanks for helping me relax and stop worrying. I've been afraid of falling since I had the TKR because when I went for my three week follow up my OS told me the only thing that could damage my new knee was a fall. Maybe he meant earlier in my recovery. Thanks again!!!!

Mary, I'm sure Jo and Jamie will attest to my various experiences. I've tripped, fallen, stumbled, and crawled on my new knee. Those things are tough....Now the skin over them....that's another story...Odd how I'm at a point where I have scars on top of scars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom