High Tibial Osteotomy I had success with a tibial Osteotomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

runman

Country
United States United States
I had 8 years of serious running after a tibial Osteotomy. If anyone has any questions about a tibial Osteotomy, I will share what I learned over the last 10 years to try and help you.

Last edited:
@runman Please do share your story here. We don't get very many serious runners here. I'm sure your information will encourage our members who might be worried about getting back to an active lifestyle.

I agree with Jaycey, @runman . Please do share your success story with your High Tibial Osteotomy (HTO).

We've had some people on here whose HTOs weren't a success, or who struggled with a long recovery period, and that tends to give a negative perspective to the procedure.
it will be good to be able to read about yours working so well.

If you tell us the date you had your HTO, we'll add that to your signature as well. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

I had an opening wedge HTO on the medial side of my left knee in January of 2011. It was painful for the first six weeks, but the swelling and pain eventually subsided and I could start using the elliptical. For all of 2011, I biked, used the elliptical and did strengthening exercises just about every day. I did not attempt to run because I still had the clamp in. The clamp came out in February of 2012. I started to run, but it hurt. So I gave it another few months. I started back up around April. I could only go a few miles at a very slow pace. I was still using the elliptical and strengthening every day. It wasn’t until September of 2012 that I could run pain free. In October of that year, I did my first ½ marathon since my surgery. After that, I was back to normal running. In October of 2013 I did my first post operation marathon. I ran a 3:29. It was not what I was doing before, but I was happy. I continued to run well and completed 12 marathons between 3:29 and 3:42 (including one Boston Marathon). Finally in July of 2020, my knee started hurting. Went back to my doctor and got an MRI. He said the HTO was about at the end of its life and said it’s time for a partial. I always knew this would happen, but I was still disappointed. My PKR surgery is scheduled for January 29th of 2021. I’m hoping to continue to run marathons.

It's good to see your time frame @runman . So from surgery in January 2011 to September 2012 running pain free. That's a bit of time but I'll bet part of the key to your success was that you let that knee heal well before getting back at it.

It's great to see that after the removal of the HTO clamp in February 2012 you had 8 years of being able to run without pain. That's pretty good.

Celle.....let’s hope I have the same experience with my PKR. I will be documenting my progress in another thread.

Sounds like you were properly gentle with your first recovery, letting the knee tell when it was ready to do more. If you follow that same approach hopefully you will see a similar result. I'll look forward to following your progress @runman.

I will be documenting my progress in another thread.
I look forward to following your journey. We need this kind of input for our members who want to return to active lifestyles. Sure, it's not everyone's goal. But for those who long to run again you will be a great example.

I had an opening wedge HTO on the medial side of my left knee in January of 2011. It was painful for the first six weeks, but the swelling and pain eventually subsided and I could start using the elliptical. For all of 2011, I biked, used the elliptical and did strengthening exercises just about every day. I did not attempt to run because I still had the clamp in. The clamp came out in February of 2012. I started to run, but it hurt. So I gave it another few months. I started back up around April. I could only go a few miles at a very slow pace. I was still using the elliptical and strengthening every day. It wasn’t until September of 2012 that I could run pain free. In October of that year, I did my first ½ marathon since my surgery. After that, I was back to normal running. In October of 2013 I did my first post operation marathon. I ran a 3:29. It was not what I was doing before, but I was happy. I continued to run well and completed 12 marathons between 3:29 and 3:42 (including one Boston Marathon). Finally in July of 2020, my knee started hurting. Went back to my doctor and got an MRI. He said the HTO was about at the end of its life and said it’s time for a partial. I always knew this would happen, but I was still disappointed. My PKR surgery is scheduled for January 29th of 2021. I’m hoping to continue to run marathons.
@runman could I ask you about the symptoms and consultations that lead to an HTO?

I was an ultra runner and long distance triathlete until last year where I was diagnosed with medial compartment OA. I've just had an arthroscopy but I'm pretty sure that an HTO is my only route back to some activity given my age (41).

I'm nervous my surgeon won't risk a major operation like an HTO and prescribe me to a sedentary lifestyle

I had 8 years of serious running after a tibial Osteotomy. If anyone has any questions about a tibial Osteotomy, I will share what I learned over the last 10 years to try and help you.
I’m about to have a tibial tubercle osteotomy due to knee dislocations. I’m trying to figure out if the pain I’m in now (after a failed MPFL) will be better or worse than the osteotomy. A lot of the threads on here are talking about how difficult the osteotomy has been and how they wish they didn’t get the operation. Can you give me some insight into any continuing issues you might have? Or do you feel that it was a success? Also, did you have any long term pain with the screws? Thank you!

@Anileigh This person is no longer actively participating in our forums; however, there are current members. I will ask a moderator to open a preop thread for you so responses can go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KatLink
Recent bookmarks