THR Hitch & Get Along<

@NanaKP Oh no!!! I hope today brings more comfort, and you continue to see improvements daily. Great that you have an appointment to see your OS soon. Thinking of you!!

I'm not feeling as sore today @Alitm but I am pretty nervous about those zings of pain that I'm having. I'm so afraid that I've managed to crack that GT somehow (not even sure that is possible without a very hard fall). I know it wasn't 100% healed when they took hardware out but well enough for Hipster to proceed. I am really wanting to start a workout routine again so crossing my fingers I'll be given the green light this week. Hope everything is going well with you as this year comes to a close. You had TWO major surgeries in short order there!! I know you're just as anxious to resume to your old life (without the pain though) and your horses, as I am.

Hey Kim,
We should get your latest date added to your signature. Was it December 14th?
What was the name of the procedure?
Sounds like the zings of pain you've described are just normal healing sensations.
I'd try not to worry and if it's still troubling you, or getting worse over the holiday, call the OS for
some reassurance. I'll bet it gradually eases and it sounds like you're taking it easy this long holiday weekend anyway.
A peaceful evening to you.
@NanaKP

Hi @Layla - I know that for my surgery on 8/1/18, it was the ORIF of the L Greater Trochanter (diagnosis - left greater trochanteric hip fracture). I'm looking through all of my paperwork and I can't see what the actual surgery was called that was done 12/14/18 but it was the removal of the cerclage claw and wire on the L greater trochanter. I hope that makes sense.

I'm definitely taking it easy this weekend. Ran a couple of errands this morning, having a visit tomorrow from one of my sisters and BIL who are up from TX to visit their grandchildren. Looking forward to that. It will be interesting to see how this goes, my sister looks at life completely different than I do. I tend to look at life head on, just give me the hard details that I need. She likes to think everything is always at its best and wrapped up in a pretty bow. My sisters seriously do NOT understand what all is done with hip replacement. (The one asked if the hardware was removed laparoscopically) so they have been horrible pecking at me (like chickens) about when I'm going to go visit our Mom. After every surgery this year, I have been peppered with the same question then guilted for not going yet. I have assured them that as soon as Hipster releases me to fly the 3.5 hours then drive over 1 hour, I will be getting my tickets.

Just hoping to keep my bloodpressure down where it needs to be.:hairpulling:

Prayers your sister treads lightly and you have a nice visit with her.
Ever thought of telling sis that her pressuring causes anxiety, which may prolong your healing, and consequently your ability to go visit mom anytime soon. I have sisters, myself, so I get it.
@NanaKP

I haven't gone that route @Layla but I will certainly keep it in my file (I am the youngest of 6). One of my other sisters was actually pestering our oldest daughter about me going, while I was undergoing the last surgery!! Our daughter was not happy with her "auntie" and she pretty much told her that she clearly didn't understand anything that I had been through this year and that she should pass the word. I know they mean well looking out for my Mom but I just don't see Hipster giving the go-ahead just yet for this trip (& on my own too). Sisters - they can be the best friends ever . . . . they can also make life similar to being pecked to death by chickens! (Just ask my hubs who has witnessed the 30 text messages that come rolling through during the night in our group text, on a regular basis!):tantrum2:

I'm not feeling as sore today @Alitm but I am pretty nervous about those zings of pain that I'm having. I'm so afraid that I've managed to crack that GT somehow (not even sure that is possible without a very hard fall).
. I don't blame you for worrying, not one bit. You've been through so much. Hoping you are chilling by the fire with the ice packs. :flwrysmile:

Yesterday we received a letter from the Anesthesiologist that stated I have a serious condition known as "Difficult Airway"
So strange this should happen with this surgery, and not during others. Now you know why you have been so sore since the surgery in the neck area etc. Keep it on your medical files for sure.

Sisters...gotta love them! Just want to let them have a taste of your life right?!! Of course you want to see your Mum. Good grief, you don't need the extra pressure! :console2:

Of course you had a hip replacement, subsequent fracture...cabled up...severe pain, cable removed...all to get out of visiting Mother.
How clever of you.:umm:

I'm guessing mom must be worrying for you and bothering them about not having seen you!
You are the baby...and mom's favorite:heehee:
No, folks cannot know if they haven't been there, done that.
Make sure you are up to it...you've been through so much.
Hope today is sweet!:tada:

Thank you everyone - I do so appreciate your kind words. I really try not to linger (thoughtwise) on everything that has happened since May. I'm trying very hard to just look forward without super high expectations for early recovery. "Go with the flow, just go with the flow . . . " is my mantra.

I vacuumed the house this morning and picked up stuff, now have laundry going and the ice pack on. Will cook a light lunch then will sit and wait. Hubs decided today is a great day to hook up the extra flat screen in the basement (where my haven is - beloved treadmill, "vacation" bed [tanning], and my sewing room though that has its own TV). I am looking online at a variety of workout equipment, we used to have a great gym set up down there then the kids needed it for a playroom so off went all of the equipment. Now it's slowly being turned back into our 'extra' room (husband's hunting gear is down there as well in a special closet). I really detest stationary bikes, always have, so I'm looking at elipticals right now. Running was always a passion of mine, did several 1/2 marathons back before the hips went bad, treadmill is awesome, super great quality but I know I will be using it for walking ONLY for quite awhile. Sad but accept it.:bawl:

Have a great Sunday everyone, may the day be bright and sunshine filled for you!

PS
Had an online discussion with Direct TV about reprogramming said receiver for the latest flat screen install. He fixed it within minutes, he was BRILLIANT! Now guess who can watch Hallmark Channel while WALKING on my treadmill????? Hee hee.:dancy:

I got sucked into that Hallmark Channel this Christmas, myself.
Now they're advertising Winterfest for January.....NO,STOP!
I'm gonna get a fat fanny, or a flat one :shrug: I need to exercise discipline
but it's so easy when it's freezing out and dark at 5:00 pm...sigh.
Hope you have a nice NYE :)
@NanaKP

@Layla - I just saw that about Winterfest for January!!! My husband is sooooo exciting (NOT). He has hunting tags through January so I see escapes to the cabin for him coming. Hah! I do so agree with you, it's hard to not get sucked in when it's so cold out . . . and dark. I'm already waiting for Spring now that the holidays are over.

Today I decided to give my treadmill a try so I S-L-O-W-L-Y walked .5 miles on it. It felt pretty darn good while walking, I held the railings and was very cautious. I was so excited that it was actually "doable" that I may have shed a tear or two of happiness when I told my husband!! Not to worry though, I iced my hips immediately afterward and have only done walking in the house since. A couple of flights of stairs a few times (can't be helped, we live in a 4 level).

Hey though, on a different note, whatever happened to @SwampHiker? I can't comment on her thread and it's just like she's gone. She and I shared a surgery date so I looked forward to our chats of progress (and I thoroughly enjoyed her uplifting posts). Anyone know anything?

Arrrgh! Sisters!

Mine expected me recently to drive a 2.5 hour journey to see her for a pub lunch over Xmas. Not even at her house. And no overnight accommodation offered either - unlike other family members! So a 5 hour round trip in one day? . Ummmmm. Nope, not doing it.

Offered to compromise by meeting in London as I can now manage trains. Not possible apparently. When I was in hospital she dropped in for half an hour as the hospital was en route on her journey home from her holiday to where she lives.

At the recovery home I was inundated with visits from friends and other family, some of them did a five hour plus round trip in one day to take the trouble to see me. I was amazed and very flattered. From my sister - , not a peep. Sad.

You are doing so well. Walking five miles in the treadmill. Wow! Puts me to shame.

Hope it all continues to go well. Sorry about the rant but your post touched a raw nerve - and not of the hip variety!

Oh @SurreyGirl - I'm sooooo sorry about your sister. Honey, there is not enough time in the world for those selfish people that we are also "blessed" to call relatives. One would think that a SISTER would be different, right?

My visit actually went fairly well although the group was entirely confused that I was put "under" as in anesthesia for any of my "procedures". My husband could only shake his head. My main concern over the visit was that NO POLITICS would be brought up because we are at polar opposites with this group of family members.

Oh heavens I didn't walk 5 miles (I have to go back to see my post), I walked a mere .5 miles (as in 1/2). I haven't worked out for 2 years as I had the stupid tendon tear in my foot for a year before having surgery 8/17 then had the hip diagnosis 3/18. I could only WISH I could walk 5 miles - used to run a fairly easy 5 miles a day just a few years ago . . . then the bottom fell out on my health.

I'm so sorry about your sister and her obvious lack of compassion!

Great news on the treadmill! I felt a bit apprehensive when I first got back on mine also.
I felt like an old lady, actually, like it was my first time on a strange piece of equipment. :heehee:
You're wise to take it slow, gradually increasing time and speed. Icing afterward can't hurt either.
I can relate to shedding a tear. Realizing we're able to do things again that had become difficult, or impossible, is emotional. I'm happy for you! :yes: A great rest of the week to you :SUNsmile:
@NanaKP

My apologies. You are quite right. You did say 0.5 mile! And there was me thinking we had another miracle recovery amongst us!

Thank you for your kind words. Sometimes people’s reactions are unfathamable. Sadly my other sister died so I only have one left and wish we were closer but you can’t choose your relatives!

All the best for your continuing recovery @NanaKP

Going to see Dr. Hipster tomorrow morning . . . did another 1/2 mile on my treadmill after working most of the day. Thank goodness we're warming up and the snow & ice are about to be a memory for now. Stay warm everyone!! Here's to having a short week at work - yahoo!

Good luck tomorrow! I'll bet you have a nice visit with Hipster.
Let us know how it goes. We'd love to hear.
We're warming up here for the weekend too. A whopping 39-40 degrees.
Don't laugh, I'll take it, I'll take it. :happydance:
Enjoy the evening!
@NanaKP

Oh @Layla not laughing at all. I grew up in the midwest where cold is CCCCCOLD!!! 40 is balmy!!! I only hope y'all get it with some blue sky and sunshine. That is the one thing I love about Colorado - we have blue sky and full on sunshine 95% of the time (shhhh, please don't give our secret away) and so though it snows, we can shovel in tshirts (and this girl usually wears shorts year around). Will let ya know what Hipster says - I'm torn once again on what to wear because I'm driving myself and will be trying to get out of my low rider car . . . bummer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom