Hip or knee?....that is the question.

kymamaw

Country
United States United States
I made my appointment finally with an orthopedic doctor. They ask if I was wanting to see him for hip or knees. Well, I need both knees and a hip. Has anyone needed them all replaced and what did your surgeon have you get repaired first? Thank you.

well yah.. but I went with the most bothersome first. The knee was bone on bone and out of alignment.. The hips were a surprise. At the time neither hip was a crybaby.. Now one is an adolescent with a temper tantrum and the other is starting to cry.
But I have separate surgeons.. In the practice the surgeons specialize in one joint so they do each 300 surgeries a year.

I think the big thing to ask yourself is, which is affecting your life more at this very moment, the knees or the hip.

I went with hips first because they affected my mobility more,but when I went in for my first appointment about my hips alone my OS took one look at my knees and sent me off for about half a dozen xrays on my knees because my GP had already ordered hip xrays and sent them to the OS.

At my next hip follow up I'm going to ask him about booking a consult for my knees.

I just don't know how I will deal with only getting one knee fixed when the other knee and hip are really bad. I know the pain will be managed, I'm worried about the stability during recovery. :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, but glad you're here. Have you considered doing both knees at the same time? Many people here do that and have great success. If I had needed both knees done my choice would definitely been a bilateral; one surgery, one recovery (even though each knee will likely recover differently).

I'm going to ask the surgeon about bilateral when I see him on July 25. I'm just so tired of not having my life, it definitely belongs to my knees and my hip right now. Shew!

kymamaw, I had hip surgery 2 years ago- my hip was beyond terrible "as bad as it gets" said 2 surgeons. My hip is now wonderful and 100% pain free. Now it is time for my knees- I am glad my hip is fixed as I feel I will have better stability when the knees are replaced. I also think the knee is going to be a tougher recovery- not sure that is 100% correct but that's what I have in my head. I used to think I was a tough cookie- now I am a big wimp and am worried about pain control. I will be interested to hear what your doc says about doing both knees at the same time- I know it is possible but I also have heard the recovery is brutal.

I also think the knee is going to be a tougher recovery- not sure that is 100% correct but that's what I have in my head.
It's true that recovery from a knee replacement is harder than recovery from a hip replacement. That's because the knee is a more complex joint.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

I will be interested to hear what your doc says about doing both knees at the same time- I know it is possible but I also have heard the recovery is brutal.
Recovery from a bilateral TKR is hard for the first couple of weeks.

After that, you benefit from only having one surgery day and one recovery. People who have had bilaterals are usually glad they did. @Roy Gardiner had bilateral TKRs and he's glad he did.

Ain't that the truth. And if one can't go BTKR for whatever reason, then as close together as possible I say. I think that having one weak and one recovering knee would be almost as bad as two recovering.

I think you should discuss both issues with a single doctor and see what he thinks. Pain can radiate and a bad knee can cause hip pain and visa versa. My minor hip pain completely disappeared after the knee was replaced. But sometimes not. Let the same surgeon look at both the knee and hip xrays and discuss the issues. Of course, in the end you will need to decide which is bothering you more. Sometimes one looks worse on the xray but the other actually hurts worse. 5 years ago I went in for pain in one knee and was told both knees were both bone on bone. But the second knee had no pain at all. I had my first knee done 2 years ago and only now is the second one starting to hurt now and then. So listen to what your body is telling you. There is no one right answer for everyone.

I went to see the surgeon with hip pain on one side & knee pain on the other .. he advised to have the hip done first (had it done on 20th March this year) & going to see him about knee in August.

His view that that the new hip would be ready to take full support after the knee op... I had the other hip replaced 6 years ago!! Both are very good... different recoveries but ok!

Hope you get an answer soon! xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I had my ortho appointment this morning. Doctor is recommending hip gets fixed first, I figured he would. I got a shot in each knee and I am going soon for a shot in my hip. Hopefully this will help while I try to lose about 30 pounds and then back to the doc in November. Wish me luck.

Good luck!! I’m trying to lose 10lbs before my knee op on 14th October!!

Good luck to you as well Hoppy Nanny. Guess I'm a Hoppy Mamaw, lol!!

You certainly are!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hope you have a good weekend
keeping that pain at bay too xxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks