Hemi-Arthroplasty Hip Bursitis after Partial Hip Replacement

Quad muscles very sore when walking..need to use a cane.
Started after new therapist initiated very aggressive muscle releases.
Anyone else experience this?

Any deep massage/muscle release should ease the pain, not cause. Please stop all this aggressive PT. It's not helping and if anything, sounds like it is doing damage.

Your comment
"Unfortunately we see injuries such as this far too often"
Do you know how these PT injuries were resolved?...beside RICE?

Injuries to quadriceps or to hip implant?

Can I get feedback regarding how long soreness lasts after partial hip replacement?
I can't answer as far as when it ends, probably when they slam the box shut. My left is coming on 4 years and I get stiffness and soreness. On the other hand I have plenty of stiffness and soreness in other areas of my body that didn't undergo a traumatic implant surgery so I just take it in stride.
I really don't understand the aggressive PT especially if it drove you to a cane. I can do anything I want and walking and stretching seem to do fine for me for PT.

Hello and Happy Wednesday. I hope your pain is easing, PIKEBOB.

Do you know how these PT injuries were resolved?
In my opinion, first step would be to back off “agressive” anything. The rest and ice part of RICE may suffice. Not sure you even need elevation. I don’t feel compression is necessary either.
Injuries to quadriceps or to hip implant?
Quads.
Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change.

Give yourself some TLC, you deserve it. :)

Coming up on 2 years after partial hip implant.
I can ride my recumbent bike 10 miles and feel fine.
But when I walk a mile, my quad starts getting sore to the point that I need to use a cane to take the stress off my leg muscles.

Any other folks that had a partial and experiencing leg muscle soreness like this?

I've had pain in various parts of my leg (R leg hemiarhroplasty) on and off for 2 years.
I've just come across information that hip bursitis can be as high as 19% for people with this surgery.
Has anyone experienced this?
After many visits to PT, it appears I may have bursitis. Am in the process of trying PRP therapy.

I've had off and on bouts of bursitis since my hip replacement last year, actually it's flared up on both hips here and there. My OS said to use Voltaren gel on it but I found it wasn't that helpful and you have to be very careful on how much you apply.
I used Arnica gel, ice, heating pad and it comes and goes.
I guess you can get cortisone shot if it's really bad but I haven't gone that route.

Hello @PIKEBOB,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Please post this under a new thread
"Hip Bursitis after Partial Hip Replacement"
Has anyone been diagnosed with Hip bursitis after fracturing a Hip then subsequent partial hip replacement? I've read that trochanteric bursitis can be as high as 19%.

@PIKEBOB I changed your existing thread title for you so that members who have experienced bursitis can come and share their experience.

It's important that we keep your information on one thread in case we need to advise you.

Earlier on this thread you said you are doing PT for bursitis. What are you doing and how many reps per exercise? All that activity may just be adding to the problem. Are you icing the area?

Here's an article from our Library you might find useful: Trochanteric bursitis with THR.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom