• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hiking Zion 4 months post-op!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairienut

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi Bonesmart friends, It has been many months since I last posted but I have browsed here now and then to keep tabs on you guys. I was pleased to see Mudpro's recent update. I, too, am getting on with my life which is what we are all supposed to do, right? Remember I was the one who was having all those second thoughts prior to surgery because my hip "was not that bad." This forum helped me deal with the doubts of the pre-surgery period and the questions and worries of the post-op experience. I ended up opting for the surgery so I could resume my favorite activity -- hiking in beautiful places with my family. I am attaching photos of our August trip to the parks in southern Utah and northern Arizona -- Zion, Bryce, North Rim. I was very proud of myself for hiking the famous and strenuous 5 mile round trip to Angel's Landing at Zion. No problems with my new hip at all. Yes, that is me crouching down low in the third picture! I am now 9 months out and have some mild bursitis pain in my operated hip but this is resolving with some wonderful physical therapy treatments. Now that the bursitis is fading, I plan to get into a routine of exercise for my extensor muscles which the PT found were quite weak.

Thanks again to this forum and its positive vibes. I especially want to thank Josephine and Jamie for their patient answers to the endless questions and for keeping the forum well-managed and free of bad guys.

Gail, the newfound hiker

age 58, RTHR 4/2/2009, posterior-lateral approach, ceramic-on-metal Depuy, 36mm ball

Attachments

• Hiking Zion 4 months post-op!
    utah trip 1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 182
    utah trip 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 201
    utah trip 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 212
Great post, Gail!!! You look marvelous and that smile on your face tells it all. God bless you for hanging in there to get the job done. you are another wonderful success story!

Great pictures Gail. I hope to have some pictures of my own like that soon... I've not been able to hike in about 8-10 years, even when I lived at the foot of the Bavarian Alps.

LOVE THE PICS! Wishing for some warmer walking weather here...I'm a wimp about getting out in the cold! Great to hear what you able to do several months out.

Wonderful - but ermmm - you don't look 59 - more like 39!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back