THR Happy to be past the surgery

That's a great milestone!!! :yes!:

Do try to maintain good structure when practicing this.

Another major milestone, @Freyagirl; you are rockin' it this week! Bet that feels great.

Just be careful not to push yourself onto the ODIC bench. :wink:

Just be careful not to push yourself onto the ODIC bench. :wink:
Hello from the ODIC bench says the lady at 3 am with a one month old hip! I also ditched my cane all day yesterday and haven’t had any Tylenol in a few days. 3 am found me up scrambling for ice and Tylenol. But I still call it progress. Today will have to include lots of time back in the recliner but it was worth making the steps forward!

Last edited:
:groan:Oh no... Make it a drive-thru visit and get outta there soon. You know the drill.
So sorry and wishing you comfort and back to your "current normal" by tomorrow. I did the exact same thing on about Day 11 or 12 of my recovery and was back to "comfortable" after a day of rest and icing.

Trip to Costco today (yes I was on the ODIC bench earlier). It was amazing! I haven’t been able to walk around a big store without major pain for a couple years. I went slow and pushed the nice tall carts that let me stand up straight. I probably bought twice my needs but I will soon have crowds of teenagers at my cabin and need cheap hotdogs, bacon, popcorn and cheese. I am back on my recliner throne with ice while my dear hubs carries it all in. Summer is almost here and I am ready.

@Freyagirl Another milestone checked off!! Yup visiting those big stores is tiring but so fulfilling. and it does sound like you are ready for the onslaught of summer teens ;) :yes!:

I had my six week check up on my second hip today. Everything appeared to be just fine, including the incision that I have been worried about. The doc picked at the spot that I have felt was maybe not healed yet and said it was completely healed. She said there may be a stitch that some day will work its way out but for the time being, there was no infection at all and everything looks perfect. I’m done with the orthopedic doctor now for another year, unless the knee that yells at me once in a while gets worse. Now I’m cleared to get back to my favorite water aerobics. I’m so looking forward to the socializing as well as the exercise. Life is good.

Great news, @Freyagirl! Time to enjoy life with your new hips.

Congratulations.

Since I have been at this recovery since January, I would think that I had learned by now that if I go to bed sore, I will have a bad nights sleep. This recovery is not like when I was 12 and my young body magically recovered with a little rest, I need to take some Tylenol and apply ice to give myself some relief from discomfort, so that I sleep well. I did not listen to my own wisdom, and spent much of the night tossing and turning uncomfortably. the spot in my incision that my doctor was probing to look for a stitch coming out, was particularly sore. I finally got up and took my Tylenol and got my ice and got re-situated in bed. I then grabbed a couple more hours of sleep, listening to the rain. When I woke up, still sore and kind of tired, I had a fun new app on my iPhone to try out. It’s called Merlin Bird ID. It identifies birds by their song. It was fun to lay here in bed with my window open, the rain coming down, the birds singing and learning that I have Robbins and Redwing blackbirds and chickadees in my backyard.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are listening to your body as well as the birds!
We try to outsmart the body sometimes, but in the end it wins.
My partner experiences some sciatica & doesn't want to take Tylenol or Advil for the pain. Says it will work itself out which it does but Advil reduces the inflammation & gives you a break with some of the pain. Men!

had a fun new app on my iPhone to try out. It’s called Merlin Bird ID. It identifies birds by their song. It was fun to lay here in bed with my window open, the rain coming down, the birds singing and learning that I have Robbins and Redwing blackbirds and chickadees in my backyard.
I have been using this too, both for bird sounds and species I’ve spotted. Very soothing

Today was the day that I got back to my water aerobics with my over 65 friends in the pool. It was wonderful. Since many of the other swimmers also have had knee and hip replacements there were many stories to share. When I went back to the pool after my first hip was done, I still had one bad hip and there was still a lot of pain. It was delightful to do my 45 minute workout with both replacements and no pain. I really took it easy and am elevating and icing this afternoon to ensure that I stay off the ODIC bench. I look forward to this exercise several times a week - especially since the outdoor pool will soon be open. It’s just the perfect workout for me as I have always loved the water.

I have pool envy!
A day at water aerobics sounds wonderful. With my bad hip, it's the only real exercise I've been able to do for a while. I enjoy it so much and have made great friends.
I hope you don't have any negative repercussions.

As I have gotten further out from the surgery, It’s hard for me to gauge what improvement I’m making. However, comparing my energy level from two weeks ago when I came to the cabin to this time, I have vastly improved. I am able to move around inside the cabin and easily put things away in the cupboards. Even better, I was able to go outside with my trekking poles and walk around on the uneven ground. I walked down to see the lake and checked out my garden. I made dinner for us and was ready to head outside again, but my hubby reminded me of the “over did it” bench and encouraged me to sit on the deck with the binoculars and watch birds instead. This cabin time is totally my reward for a long winter of surgery and recovery.

I have been clumsy all my life. Tripping over my own feet and sliding off chairs. I’ve been super careful of my new hips and try hard to keep one hand on a solid surface when I step over things. I was outside at my cabin looking at the amazing display of Northern Lights in (obviously) the dark. I went to climb into the golf cart that we use to move around the neighborhood and missed the seat as I sat down. I slid onto the floor with a thud instead. Not a long drop and not hard, but scary and frustrating. Once down there I was stuck until my grandson pulled me up again (embarrassing). I iced, elevated and rested my battered bum. Today I’m more stiff, but my hips seem fine. The sky was beautiful and worth the effort to see it here in the very dark, lake area of northern Minnesota. More light displays predicted for tonight!

OH NO! So glad to read you're okay aside from some stiffness! I can't tell you how many times I've read of these accidental falls early on and by some miracle, no injuries, or dislocations. Whew!
Stay upright, Freyagirl! :wink:
@Freyagirl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member