THR Happy to be past the surgery

Freyagirl

Country
United States United States
Well, I’m past the worst of the post surgery pain, had little apple juice and such to eat and feeling pretty comfortable in my hospital bed for the night.
I’ve had general anesthesia before which left me with terrible nausea and other complications so this surgery I was given a spinal. coming out of surgery was much much easier and I felt clearheaded and I had no nausea. However, getting the spinal set initially was pretty painful and I am hoping with the second hip it will go better.
After getting some good IV meds, I have been up to the bathroom and moved around the room a little without too much difficulty. I must say I was Very sore when I first came out of the anesthesia but as soon as it was clear that I was feeling awake I got some good meds and got the pain under control.
I sent my very tired husband home for a good nights sleep, and now I am trying to get my brain to shut down so that I can get some sleep too. All in all things went very well today and I am hoping after some physical therapy tomorrow I will be on my way home.

@Freyagirl Welcome to the recovery side! I hope you are able to get a good sleep and have an easy journey home in the morning!

Here, just for you, are the articles and suggestions for a less painful recovery:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the other side @Freyagirl ! It's hard to get any sleep in the hospital. Relax and do keep on top of those pain meds. You are on your way!

Welcome to other side of hip surgery & rest as much as you can these first few weeks.
Keep us posted!

Well, they sprung me from the hospital about 1:30 today and I am feeling good at home. I can’t take codeine or morphine because it makes me so sick so most of my time at the hospital was determining what best cocktail if pain relievers worked for me. So far, I seem to be doing well on arthritis eight hour Tylenol and then a low-dose OxyContin as needed. So far I haven’t needed them very often.
I did a lot of physical therapy and occupational therapy in the hospital before I went home and discovered that that wore me out a lot. But I took it easy so it didn’t ramp up my pain just made me tired. It was good to get home to my well, prepared house, and stretch out in my recliner.
Over the next couple days, my biggest effort will be into some gentle walking around the house and a lot of ice and elevation to keep the swelling down. So far my cool water ice machine has been a blessing at home because I can just change out the frozen water bottles once every four or five hours and keep cool water flowing through but not having freezing cold pads on my hip.
I already have a waterproof bandage over the incision and that I can take a shower tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to that. I don’t have any staples or exterior stitches, just a large, thin, waterproof bandage, holding everything together that will be taken off at my postop visit.
For now I’m just happy to be home in my own bed and I am looking forward to get some decent sleep tonight.

Welcome home!!!!

I had that glue stick kind of bandage instead of staples or sutures on my knee replacements - what a wonderful advance - Iike you, I was grateful for that, my ice machine, and my recliner!

Sweet dreams to you and may your path forward be smooth!

Hi there Freyagirl!
I am glad you made it safely home to your recovery nest. You seem to have all under control and you're off to a good start.
Over the next couple days, my biggest effort will be into some gentle walking around the house and a lot of ice and elevation to keep the swelling down.
Good news because it is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. At this early date all you need is to do a five minute walk every hour or two in the house and normally a trip to the bathroom or the kitchen for a drink or snack covers that.
Best Wishes for an easy recovery!

Huge improvement last night - I slept on my side for 4 hours with a bunch of pillows holding my leg, then rolled onto my back and slept well for another few hours on my back with my leg propped up on an inflatable wedge. I’m back on just Xtra-strength Tylenol and my glorious cold water machine. Now if I can get my bowels back to normal I am ready to rock and roll - or at least able to turn on the Keurig for coffee.
As an aside, the PT and OT staff were very impressed with my preparation and knowledge of what was needed for these next few days and I owe a bunch of that pre-preparation information to this website. It has been so good to have a place to go with not frightening information like you can get sometimes on the Internet, but good sound advice that fell in line with exactly what my doctor and physical and occupational therapist have recommended.
One of the things that I have been warned about is that day three is about that time when the swelling can become a problem and so I am going to work hard to not work hard. After a good nights sleep I feel like I can do anything, and it will be my absolute determination to not overdo it today and just relax. I’ve got a bunch of phone calls that I can make to friends to let them know that I’m doing good which will keep me off my feet. I hope my fellow January hip replacement friends all have a good day as well.

That's great sleep for so early on, Freyagirl. Getting off pain medication should help with the constipation as will drinking lots of water. Add in a few fruits and veggies if you're able and engage in some light physical activity also. We often read about warnings received of the dreaded days three and four post op, but please know it is not always the case. Personally, I never experienced this and you may not either. Avoid the temptation to overdo at this point because it's so easy for that to happen when we're feeling good. It normally doesn't hurt until we stop and then it's too late. Stick to the five minute walk every hour or two this week, which you'll be able to accomplish easily enough. We're thankful you joined us to share your journey and it's good to read that the site was an asset as you prepared for surgery. Stop back often, we'll be here to cheer you on. :yes!:
@Freyagirl

Some milestones passed:
1. I managed a shower which was really good. I had several layers of anti-bacterial wipes and a nice betadyne tan to scrub off. I think my leg is still kind of orange, but at least not sticky anymore.
2. My swelling definitely increased yesterday as I became a little more active. I’m trying hard to keep it iced and elevated and it seems better this morning.
3. My grandson came for a few hours to be my slave and refilled my ice cooling machine, dug out my insulated water mug to have at my bedside, and kept me entertained. My body needs the rest but my head loves the distraction.
4. I took advantage of what I learned during Covid and ordered a grocery delivery now that I know what I feel like eating. Raspberries on my cereal this morning were wonderful.
5. I actually had another good night’s sleep. I’m sure that’s helping me feel pretty good, although getting my bowels moving this morning really improved my overall perkiness.
6. My goal today is to spend time in my chair on the Sun porch and doze out there like a big old cat.
I hope you are all seeing some sunshine today as well.

@Freyagirl It is wonderful to hear you are doing well! Yeah for helpful distractions, good rest, grocery deliveries, raspberries, and all the good things going on for you! Thanks for the inspiring update! Enjoy the sunshine :)

Shower, raspberries, and sun bathing.... You're living the good life!
Yes, let the swelling be a guide on your activity level and Keep on Truckin... I mean Icin'!!!

My best investment for this surgery is a used ice water machine. I got it from Facebook Marketplace for $60. It is a Breg Polar cube and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but consistently pushes ice cold water through a thermal pad that straps to my hip. I keep the water cold with frozen water bottles that I keep in the freezer so it’s easy to swap them out every few hours or so. I can leave the cooler and hoses in place and just open the top to change bottles. As long as I keep a light layer (pj pants for me) between my leg and the pad, it never gets dangerously cold. I think That the constant icing has really kept my swelling in check.
Do you have a favorite item that has helped you recover?

Day 5 after surgery and feeling pretty good. My head says “do more” but my swollen thigh tells me to keep elevating and icing so I stay reasonably comfortable. My anterior incision goes past the crease between my thigh and groin so when I sit up for a while my clothing presses on the bandage. It took me a while yesterday to figure out why that spot was suddenly so sore. Nothing about the bandage looks bad and when I stretch out in the recliner it’s all fine so I guess I’ll be typing lying down until the swelling subsides. PJ pants all day today!
I’m happy that I can move my leg without help and can get in and out of my bed and chair. The fact that I’m feeling antsy tells me I am healing and can look forward to more activities in a few days. I hope that all of you January surgeries are doing well today!

100% agree on the Breg, which got me through both knees last year.
I think I lived in pj bottoms for months postop unless I was going out, and then I chose the softest pants available. Embrace the comfort! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Day 6 and woke up with a fair amount of pain until I realized I slept through my middle of the night Tylenol so that’s probably a good sign. Lots of swelling on my thigh but not down my leg. I’m hoping it remains that way.
I had another grandchild visit last night to help do laundry and empty wastebaskets. Small chores that take so much energy. He works for chocolate donuts and gives good hugs so I’m blessed.

He works for chocolate donuts and gives good hugs so I’m blessed
Aww, I love this. It's so sweet, Freyagirl.
I hope the pain has eased throughout the day and tomorrow is a better day!

Dear Caretakers,
We love you! I have an 80 year old guy trying to cook and care for me. It’s been an incentive for me to drag myself in and out of bed, shower independently, and set up my bedroom and bathroom so I can manage all that without calling for help. He would be very nice about helping, but he needs his rest too.
Grocery delivery including some fresh prepared foods from the deli, as well as soup and casseroles from friends have helped keep my diet healthy and interesting rather than relying on the 10 things my husband knows how to cook. Instead I rely on him for ice bottle replacement in my therapy cooler and the bending jobs of loading the dishwasher and emptying the dryer.
Mostly I rely on him for safety- someone to call the doc if I need help, and for the encouragement and support that he gives me when I’m impatient about my recovery.
For those who are technically inclined, my other caregiver is the voice assistant “Alexa” who reminds me to take my meds, turns my bedroom light on when I ask, reminds me to do my exercises, plays some music, and turns my ice machine off and on as needed. Alexa can also “drop into” the downstairs where my husband may be and ask him for help. If Alexa can’t do it I wait for one of the teenager grandsons to stop by and make my day.

You got this ma’am! I had bilateral hip replacements in 2008 and they were the best! Well until my week old RTKR a week ago. You will wonder why you waited so long in the near future. Happy healing!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bassetmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom