THR Going4fun new hip adventure

Yea! ... I have my first PT appointment next week for work on loosening my IT band. Looking forward to this new chapter of my hip adventure.

I am rooting for you, friend:friends:

Hope you are waking up today, @Going4fun, feeling positive and relatively pain free. I hope that PT next week will be a good experience for you, and will help to loosen up that IT band. As I've said before, I've had good experiences with PT and although I don't consider it "fun", it definitely has been helpful. This past Friday's session was a bit uncomfortable and discouraging, but I must say I felt better when I woke up on Saturday morning. I just have to take the long view, that my hips didn't get in such bad shape overnight and it is going to take some time for them to recover and heal. Anyway, have a great Sunday!

Hi @Going4fun
I hope you're having a nice weekend. You'll have to let us know how your PT appt goes tomorrow.
Hopefully it begins to bring you some relief with your IT band. Take it slow and if anything hurts, stop
Best wishes for a good session and a great week!

Oh @Barbaraj, thank you for the good wishes ... and there is some good news to report. I went on a relaxed half-mile walk today ... and something funny happened ... Because of the surgery, because of recovery and all of that ... I am highly conscious of the new hip when I walk ... and I was conscious of the hip today ... but only because I was conscious ... Meaning that I not really feel much at all or any glitches ... It was as if my body had confidently taken over control of walking and my mind didn't really have much to do.

So you have already started PT?! ... I like your long view ... it's true our hips didn't get in this shape overnight ... and it will take time for them to recover .... calling up that thought at the moment of stiffness is the challenge.

I had originally planned to go out dancing last night ... but decided that I don't need to aggrave the IT band .... not sure such aggravation would have occurred ... but just decided to take things easy ... BTW: I am very much like you in that exercise is a basic part of my health and my mental health ... So going easy ... mainly for walks ... has been hard ... but I think there has been a payoff ... might be that the hip was just healing on its own and would have healed as much with more aggressive exercise ... who knows?

Yes, it was a beautiful sunny day out this morning, and I enjoyed that sun ... think I'll try to get out for another walk later, in my favorite cemetery! ... Yes, there is a cemetery near me that is also an arboretum ... absolutely stunning beautiful grounds ... couples picnic there, joggers run through there ... one of my favorite "parks."

Oh, @Going4fun, glad to read that your half mile way, no matter if it was leisurely, was comfortable and you didn't notice any twinges. Sure, it will take awhile before you don't notice it at all, but you are clearly on the right path. I took a slow and careful walk to our local library on Saturday morning, to pick up a book on "will call", and while it wasn't the most comfortable walk (felt quite stiff and a bit awkward) I managed it without a lot of discomfort. And yesterday I was tootling around two large garden centers with a friend who was intent on buying some new outdoor pots and plants to fill 'em, and, again, I felt okay--so, inch by inch, maybe continuing my forward, although clearly zig-zaggy path forward. Glad you're getting some sunshine--walking outside in the sunshine is so nice, isn't it? And the cemetery/arboretum sounds like a great place to stroll. Happy Monday!

Happy Monday! @Going4fun
Congrats on the half mile walk.
It's good there were no glitches and you were able to enjoy the leisurely stroll.
Wishing you more of the same this week in the hopefully sunny arboretum / cemetery.
Have a great week!

Had a great visit with the PT today. I really loved her energy and her thinking and the way she checked on me ... making me stand this way and that ... extend operated leg and non-operated leg ... testing for strength and flexibility ...

Surprise verdict: my surgeon wanted me to get stretching for a tight IT band. The PT thinks there is no way this is an IT band issue. She thinks the problem is primarily a weak gluteus medius that is still recovering from surgery. She says she sees people like me all the time ... she said the gluteus maximus should also be strengthened. She thinks my gluteus medius (to use a word I earlier stole from @Layla, "fatigues" easily. She wants to build its endurance strength.

She was confident that my gluteus medius wasn't engaged very well when walking ... but is not needed so much for climbing stairs (not sure I totally followed her) so it made total sense that I could run up and down stairs and yet feel fatigue in my thigh after a mile or so of walking.

She stayed right next to me as she gave me some exercises to do ... She made sure I did them precisely ... she said I would be "exercise sore" tomorrow ... and to call her if I'm in serious pain ... She was quite confident I could get back to dancing and running. She was positively blown away by my flexibility ... so another good sign ... Later on, she said, she wants me to bring some music to the session and dance as part of my therapy! She believes in functional training--training that fits with real life--so if dancing is my thing, it makes sense to do some dancing as part of therapy! That idea made me feel great and made me laugh.

Anyway, the PT session has me feeling really hopeful after the scare last week when my surgeon said he wasn't sure that my device had bonded with bone and that my device had slightly moved.

The story continues!

What a great PT! Love her suggestion about the dancing . Mine also diagnosed the gluteus medium (it’s in my notes here) and worked on stretching, massage and exercises. It has been a slow process but the walking is getting better and flexibility is good.

Hopefully this is the correct diagnosis for you too.... note to self, must get back to swimming!

That's great, @Going4fun, that you seem to have found a physical therapist who really "gets" you and your issues, and is good about focusing on your goal of returning to dancing and making that part of your recovery routine. So glad to hear a positive review of PT when, unfortunately, too often I've read about bad experiences on other posts. I think this is really a big step in the right direction for your recovery. I know you're still anxious about the bone fusion issue, but we'll all be thinking positive thoughts that there really isn't a problem and that recovery will continue for you in a slow but steady course towards your goal of "100% dancing fool"!

Last edited:
@Barbaraj, love that you remembered your "dancing fool" punchline! ... After yesterday's session, I paid close attention to possible pain later in the day ... None ... just a slight niggle ... Today ... again ... nothing ... Anyway update us on your PT when you can. I'll check your thread.

Hi @Going4fun
It's nice to read that you enjoyed your PT session and most importantly liked the therapist.
That's half the battle...finding a good match. Interesting how your OS and surgeon don't agree on all the ails you. I like her suggestion you bring some of your own music to the session.
Things are looking up, you have good reason to feel hopeful.
Keep the faith and enjoy the weekend!

Something has occurred to me that is relevant to this PT debate ... It's also relevant to an age where there are public videos of various exercises.

I was reading about the gluteus medius muscle, which my PT thinks is the problem with my walking ... and I came to a post by a woman who was really struggling at two months after her hip replacement ... She went to PT and got some exercises ... standard side lying leg raise and so on ... Nothing happened ... Then she tries out another PT ... gets assigned the same exercises ... but ... this time ... and this is what happened with me with my PT meeting ... the PT adjusts the way she does the exercises so that the butt muscles (including gluteus medius) are working, not just the side muscles. Within a short time, this woman was walking well.

My PT literally stood beside me and monitored the exact position of my leg and body as I did the exercises she assigned. She wanted me to work the butt muscles, not side muscles, though the side muscles get some work as well.

Just a thought to add to the PT discussions around here ... might be a good idea to go to a PT that has someone watching closely how you do the exercises ... I've been to PT facilities (for other issues) where the person "shows me" how to do the exercise, then walks away ... ten minutes later yells out, "How ya doing?" ... I notice in online reviews these days that patients will tell you how much individual attention the PT person gives you.

Did a little walking this morning and I don't want to announce anything but my body felt great.

Last edited:
I agree with you, @Going4fun--the physical therapist working with you should be present with you while you're doing an exercise to make sure you're doing it properly, not just the first time but through each of the repetitions. I think PT like everything else, has both good and bad practitioners. Finding a therapist that really focuses on YOU is critical. Sounds like you've luckily found someone who is good--hurray! and congrats on a no-pain walk!

@Barbaraj, I'm holding myself back here, but walking yesterday and my walk this morning felt SO MUCH easier ... just so much more powerful. I think my PT is right that my glutes had gone to sleep. She too (like your PT) has given me some exercises to do everyday. She said the everyday regimen is to build endurance, since I have to use those muscles all the time ...

I'm thinking about returning to the gym today ... my PT thinks I can ease into more gym exercise ... and pay attention to what I'm feeling and report back to her. We'll see ... don't want to jump too far ahead ... but part of wonders if I could have benefited from this woman two months ago and skipped all the worrying energy I spent in frustration ... At some point I'll ask her about that.

Hi @Going4fun
Wake up those glutes! I'm happy for you that you're feeling better physically and emotionally.
Worry is draining and frustrating and not conducive to a good recovery. Please take it slow.
I know you will, but I felt the need to say it anyway. It's the mother in me, lol.
Have a great Sunday!

@Barbaraj, I'm holding myself back here, but walking yesterday and my walk this morning felt SO MUCH easier ... just so much more powerful. I think my PT is right that my glutes had gone to sleep. She too (like your PT) has given me some exercises to do everyday. She said the everyday regimen is to build endurance, since I have to use those muscles all the time ...

I'm thinking about returning to the gym today ... my PT thinks I can ease into more gym exercise ... and pay attention to what I'm feeling and report back to her. We'll see ... don't want to jump too far ahead ... but part of wonders if I could have benefited from this woman two months ago and skipped all the worrying energy I spent in frustration ... At some point I'll ask her about that.
That all sounds like good progress.

I've been back at the gym for a while. As it happens, the gym where I live now (Rochester YMCA) doesn't have one of those adductor/abductor machines I was told NOT to use pre-surgery, but wouldn't mind trying now with very light resistance. Glute-wise, I do pelvic crunches with a small inflatable ball between the knees. The PT gave me one and I'd already bought one from Amazon.

One of the simplest and best glutei exercises the visiting PT gave me was the sit-to-stand from a chair, and in hospital therapist then had me do it alternately with one or the other leg forward.

Good luck!

Do take it easy, @Going4fun, if you do decide to make a tentative foray back into gym world! For me, my paranoia about hurting my newly replaced hips was outweighed by even greater paranoia about my cardiovascular health, with both parents having heart issues much too early in life. I don't "love" the gym workouts but I have always been determined to do something regularly to strengthen my heart muscles, and have been a long time exerciser. Of course, one could argue that overuse of my hips on long session on cardio equipment (stupid stair climber...) may have contributed to them wearing out earlier than they should (because they weren't EVER supposed to wear out in my lifetime!) I think the key here is to start s-l-o-w-l-y and monitor yourself. At least you've been active before with your dancing, and that might be sufficient exercise along with targeted PT. So glad to read that you're feeling like you're on the right track, with a sensible and sensitive therapist who you trust. The future awaits--hurray for you!

Thanks @Barbaraj, yes, I'm trying to take things easy ... My gym closed early yesterday so I missed out, and ended up taking a long walk around the River here ... lots of fun ... My idea at the gym was to get on the bike for like 7 minutes ... and then walk ... so I'm talking very easy ... Today I did ten minutes on the recumbent bike in PT.

It's such a mental gymnastic flip to figure out pacing ... Because there is the factor of being out of shape ... from not moving a lot in the year before surgery ... the factor of being older ... and the factor of a new hip ... So yes, I'm taking things slow. I have to say the first six months has given me time to practice patience. My PT says I can slightly increase my time when I dance again at home. Funny, she did not increase my home exercises this week. She's pacing things.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member