Gel/ ice packs

newpartial

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all - i have my op booked in for the 4th June and starting to get some things organised. I was going to just use ice packs/ gel packs - how many would you advise getting as will obviously need to rotate those in use with those in the freezer.
Also any other 'must haves' - i mentioned a toilet seat raiser to my family (husband and teenage children) at which point they all burst out laughing... very sympathetic :heehee:

I bought a six pack of gel packs and rotated them throughout my recovery. Get yourself at least 2 grabbers as well.

It is very difficult to get up off any low seat. I was lucky that all the toilets in my house were already comfort height toilets, so I didn’t need a riser.

They wouldn’t be laughing if it was them recently out of knee replacement surgery and struggling painfully to get on and off a toilet.

I had a tough time even with the raised seat. And I “only had a partial.”

Hi many thanks for the replies @Jaycey what is a grabber?

Hi all - i have my op booked in for the 4th June and starting to get some things organised. I was going to just use ice packs/ gel packs - how many would you advise getting as will obviously need to rotate those in use with those in the freezer.
Also any other 'must haves' - i mentioned a toilet seat raiser to my family (husband and teenage children) at which point they all burst out laughing... very sympathetic :heehee:

I've bought the Ossur Ice Therapy machine. The use it in the hospital, I've heard they are a god send. Also bought a leg lifter and the lounge doctor to evevate the leg, a 3 in 1 toilet and the grabber. . My surgery is this Friday and I've combed th is forum for tips from those who have gone before me. Think I'm going to need all of them :(

@newpartial,

I've also prepared with a cold therapy machine, leg lifter, Lounge Doctor, toilet seat and grabber. I'm going to use my crutches instead of a walker so I've also made sure they have new arm and hand pads and a bag for my water and phone. We are decluttering our house to make it easier to get around and making arrangements for our 3 Australian Shepherds to stay with one of my sons for a few weeks. I love my fur babies, but they are my constant companions and would be right under my feet!

As for the elevated toilet, my football playing son and baseball playing husband have both had ACL repairs. Both are very athletic and have great quad strength. Both were very glad they could stand to do most of their business!:heehee: I think they are a little jealous of the raised toilet seat I have!!!

~Cynthia

Last edited:
If you can, I recommend an ice machine. I've used both ice packs and the machine for past surgeries, and the ice machine is much better than ice packs. Just make sure not to get one that has a 30 minute timer-I can't imagine getting up every 30 minutes to re-start the dang thing. Some with timers do have a continuous setting also-just double check.

If an ice machine is not possible, I'd suggest at least 4-6 sets of ice packs-you'll need two at a time if they don't wrap around your knee fully-and you want to make sure to always have some frozen and ready to go. I made my own in the past so as to have them custom sized, plus I sewed cases for them with two different fabrics. One side was a little thicker for when they first came out of the freezer and were icy cold, the other side was a little thinner to flip over as the packs got warmer. I also used velcro to close the end so the ice packs didn't slip out. I'd suggest trying the packs before your surgery to see how fast they defrost and warm, how fast your freezer freezes them, etc, so as to really know how many you'll need. I iced almost around the clock at first as it really helps to ice your knee a lot after knee surgery. I also suggest some kind of wrap to hold the ice packs on your knee as they will constantly slip off if they're not attached. It drove me nuts to have to keep trying to re-situate the dang things.

If you can, I also recommend a Lounge Doctor to elevate your knee-I've used pillows in the past and while they work sort-of, the LD is a ton better.

I used a walker for a few weeks so had a folding cup holder on it and also a walker bag to carry items around when my hands were not free. I made sure to set up my recovery area with easy to eat snacks, TV and fan remotes, and a dedicated side table for odds and ends to supplement my nightstand.

With my first TKR, I had low toilets and really needed to use the bedside commode over the toilet; with the last one we had replaced the toilet with a comfort height toilet so I didn't need the commode. Try to get up and down on your current toilet with your surgical knee straight out in front of you and using just your arms to get up and down and see if you can easily do it. After surgery it'll be harder, so if it's hard now, it'll be much harder later, so I'd suggest a toilet riser of some kind. Good luck and keep us posted!

plus I sewed cases for them with two different fabrics. One side was a little thicker for when they first came out of the freezer and were icy cold, the other side was a little thinner to flip over as the packs got warmer. I also used velcro to close the end so the ice packs didn't slip out.
I also sew and it’s such a blessing to be able to customize things to our personal needs/wants.

I agree with the others suggestions. A ice machine combined with the lounge doctor will be your best friends. Use 4 frozen bottled water in stead of using ice. I have a set of 12 that I rotate through the freezer. That way it only take a couple of minutes to renew your cold water. I highly recommend a walker too. Borrow one or buy one at the thrift store for under $10. It will promote better walking habits during recovery.

What great advice.
I hired an ice machine and had 2 gel pads for additional use which were part of a a brace system which I could wrap securely around the knee and then walk with it on! I went out a bit so I could take it with us.
Gel warms up too fast and needs frequent changing. I think after 10 -15 minuted its not cold enough.
Thats a pain.
So if you can get a machine go for it.
Yes to a raised toilet seat esp if it has arms or you have something to steady yourself on close by. I only needed for a short time but you do need it. Its not glamorous. I found my bladder tone took a week to get itself together. Now that was icky. It was the only upsetting thing for me. I sent my husband out to buy some cheap bath mats for puddles! I really hated that but I wouldn't have been able to manage adult incontinence products. It resolved by the end of the first week. Hopefully you won't experience that. It didnt happen to me with my first TKR. Best wishes for a happy and smooth journey.

Thank you all so very much its so good to be able to ask people who have actually gone through this - getting nervous now:scare: so keeping occupied getting ready.

I was going to just use ice packs/ gel packs - how many would you advise getting as will obviously need to rotate those in use with those in the freezer.
I also bought 6 gel packs.
I used one at the front and one at the back of my knee.

Rotating them, I had 2 in use, 2 re-freezing, and 2 already frozen.
They worked just fine.

I'm going to go the other way on this one. I had ordered an ice machine but it got back ordered at the last minute and I didn't get it until a week after my surgery. I had been using gel ice packs in the meantime. I honestly didn't like the ice machine as well as I liked the ice packs. I didn't think it was as cold and I found the noise slightly annoying. It wasnt that loud but I was fussy and not sleeping well already. Amazon has some long lasting gel ice packs. I got the big ones you can wrap around the knee front and back. My favorite one came home from the hospital with me and was huge. I used the ice machine some, especially at night but i probably could have done without. I had 6 or 8 ice packs I think. Sometimes you will want one for other spots like sore back or aching quads. I also used a walker for a week or two, raised toilet seat with arms and a shower bench with two feet in the tub and two out. Much easier to sit and then figure out how to swing your feet over the tub. And a handheld shower sprayer. Also eventually a cane. Relax you've got it. It won't always be easy but the end results are more than worth it. At least they were for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom