THR Frustrated

@AJinNH thanks for the reminder about the backpacks.....I do vaguely remember researching something to carry things round the house, but I think at least half my brain has shut down in the last week! Have found a tabard apron with 2 giant pockets which is useful, all I have to do now is work out how to have all these useful bits and pieces in the right place at the right time :umm:Reckon I'll have it off pat by the time no 2 is due :thumb:

I didn't think of a big pocketed apron.
I was on walker for a month so my BIL and sister rigged the front with a ridiculous basket which worked really well and then kept wanting to add amenities to it.
I appreciate it looking back, but at the time I thought...you can quit customizing this thing...I don't plan on having it around for long!

I had my pocket apron plus a crossbody bag. Until I was able to sit in a chair downstairs I had to cart my salad, oatmeal, coffee thermos, etc. upstairs to my bedroom.

@anny
I'm using a walker (wheels on front) and it's not great with more than a couple stairs, like into our house. Not the flight upstairs to bedrooms.
I've moved into downstairs study for the duration. I couldn't even begin to think of sharing a bed at this point!
So a couple days ago I added a tray fitted to the top of walker. Genius!! Plus I have a tie bag on the front. As long as I don't load it down to heavy, it works great.
I like the walker but I do not feel it is not doing the best for me for my gait. I raised it but still feel I'm hunching over it.
So maybe crutches are better at helping you stay upright? Do you have two? Are they forearm or under arm?

Maybe by the time we figure it all out best it will be time to throw them in a corner!

Hi BeBe - I've decided there is no perfect mobility aid.......I tried a walker in hospital for a few hours but they took it off me cos I'm fairly tall (5'9") and they said it was making me slump over. I use 2 elbow crutches (apparently the underarm ones can cause problems by compressing the nerves in the armpit so they don't use them here any more) and they have the plastic 'bracelet' bit that you put your hands thro before holding the grips.....stops you dropping them (must have seen me coming!). I thought they'd be difficult to use, but they're really quite easy after a little practice, and I'm amazed that they're also good for stairs. I'm much more upright with them, the main main drawback being that I can't carry a mug of coffee or a plate of food, but then that's what husbands are for, isn't it? :heehee: Maybe you could give them a try and see if you like them....I spent a year slightly bent over because my hip wouldn't open fully, it's such a joy to be able to stand up straight again.

My recovery is going along okay I think....still sleeping a lot in the day. moderate discomfort/pain from the incision area as it wakes up, and a distinct desire to be able to do a week's shopping at the supermarket cos I'm so restless! I had to phone the hospital today over an issue with meds I took in from home. As I expect everyone knows, if you are on regular medication you take it in with you and they dispense it to you during your stay. I take a med for my osteoporosis.....one tablet half an hour before eating/drinking on a Saturday morning. I put 1 tablet, still in its foil, back in the empty pharmacy labelled box and handed it over on Friday morning before my op. On Sat morning, before breakfast a nurse gave it to me (naked, in a little pot) and I remember being impressed cos they'd remembered I need it well before food (even tho they had no idea what it was for, I had to explain). Fast forward to Tuesday, as I was being discharged, a nurse said 'oh, this is yours' and gave me the still foil-wrapped tablet. I said I had taken it on Saturday but she didn't know what was going on, and tbh I just wanted to go home. I thought about it for a few days then decided to let the hospital know what had happened and see if there's an explanation.....even if I dreamed having the tablet on Saturday (in my drug-induced haze!) they still got something wrong by sending it home with me. All the nurses were so lovely, I hate the idea I might get someone into trouble, but on the other hand, it could have been 'serious' medication that went awry. I explained to the Nurse Manager and she's going to look into it and get back to me.

Things will keep getting easier with this recovery business.
Wishing you a restful day, Annie!:tada:

@anny
Found you! I'm trying to play catch up with everyone's threads
The crutches do seem to make more sense for helping to stand up straight.

I put a tray on my walker and started motoring around with it. Great for moving things
around the house but it causes me to hunch over too much. I have been struggling with
not being able to stand straight and having super tight flexors that limit me. Finally it dawns on me to lose the tray! Much better!

I have no desire to go grocery shopping. Hate it even when I could still do it!

As for the meds in hospital? Hope you get an answer?

Hope you've had a good weekend!

Had fully intended to make my thread into a diary of recovery, but although I am physically recovering really well, I'm finding the Energy drop quite challenging. I sleep reasonably well at night (especially considering the lying on the back thing :sad:) but I am so tired in the day, not just in a 'need to sit down way' but I start nodding off if I do sit down and most days I nap morning and afternoon....most unlike me! Anyone else have this sleeping sickness?

After a lot of to and fro-ing with the Nurse Managers at the hospital about my home medication, they have told me it was a 'misunderstanding'.....a nurse asked me if I'd had it, thought I'd said I had to didn't give it to me. I'm unimpressed cos this was 24 hrs after my op when I was still on the morphine pump, oral meds, and still under the influence of the General, so why she was taking my word for it instead of just checking the chart I don't know. Fortunately it wasn't a major mistake as far as I was concerned, and I was told it would be brought up at ward and management meetings, so hopefully they'll pull their socks up before it happens again with more serious consequences. wasn't very impressed with the N Manager tho....she sort of implied I was making a fuss over nothing, and I think it nearly choked her to say sorry!

Recovery wise I'm doing really well I think. The nurse who took the dressing off said my incision is beautiful (in the eye of the beholder :wink:) and said I look to be walking well (one crutch this week....now if I try to use 2 crutches I forget how to co-ordinate them and trip myself up!). She agreed there's probably no point in my going to the physio joint classes as I'm probably doing more than they do, but I may just book myself a one on one assessment with a physio to make sure I'm not lagging in any particular area of movement.

Was thinking of trying a cane next week.....is there much difference between using a cane and a single crutch? Don't want to get ahead of myself....the ODIC is too painful to go there twice!

Hope all fellow Musketeers are also doing well.....I started going a bit crosseyed trying to keep up with everyone, and once you take your eye off the ball it's difficult to catch up :doh: Have a great weekend everyone :yahoo:

is there much difference between using a cane and a single crutch?
I found there was far less stability with a cane. I used one crutch until I was totally confident with no balance issues before I switched to a cane.

thanks Jaycey...maybe I'll give the crutch an extra week before I try the cane. especially as we've only got my husband's 'slashing thro the gorse and fending off rampant swans' cane.....not quite my image, I prefer the 'sporting injury while cross country skiing' look of the crutch :heehee:

:hi: Sounds like things are moving along nicely! The cane scared me at first, especially with stairs. So I did a combo. Cane walking around on the level, crutch up and down stairs. You’ll know when the time is right to transition.

Hey anny. Sorry for your hospital experience frustrations...I've had a few of those in regard to my dad over the last weeks and you're right, they may not be right...but they are never wrong!
Hope your weekend is restful.
Healing Hugs:roseshwr:

I must admit I didn’t go back to using a cane. I went from one crutch to none. But only when I felt confident and only inside to begin with. For the first couple of months I had considerable energy drain. I just have into it and napped as needed
It sounds like your recovery is going great

Sounds like you are getting around great.. I don't know about you, but I wish I had done this years ago. I have no pain in my hip anymore. I've been driving, went mushroom hunting and have full release from my dr to go back to work and all activities he just said my body will let me know. I do get tired but rest when I need it. I feel like I got a second chance and I love it. I don't use any walking aid however I am using my handicap parking sticker everywhere I go!!! Keep up the great work and I know you feel great!!!

Hey @anny !
Found your post! I have tried to log into the joint awareness today and am unable to do it!
So checking on my BS friends!
I really get the energy drain thing but mine manifests as brain fog, dull, can't think straight.
I do not nap during day and sleep 5-6 scattered hours per night normal for me. But feel I am way
low on the uptake since surgery. Wish I could nap - maybe it would help.
It sounds like you are doing great with just the one crutch. I am still needing my walker and have tried to move to cane but can't. Not even in to house. I was doing better my second week prior to my last ODIC PT appt.
I have suffered a real setback and OS has said no more PT. So I'm just walking with walker. Trying to stay positive!

Now that @Deeleigh ! I'm so jealous! Same surgery day as us and look at her go! So happy for her! I know I know no comparing but still jealous:unsure: just human I guess.
I might want to find a crutch and see if it helps move me along?
Hope you are finding some energy and having a good weekend!

Lol @BeBe ! I actually blame my recovery on my 3 boys... Youngest just turned 11. And your right don't compare, we all take different times and we all had different aches and pains.... Our bodies will tell us what to do!

wow you're doing so well Deeleigh! and driving already I'm so jealous :). Think you're probably right about the running around after the kids....not only does it keep you fitter but you feel you can't 'give in' cos you have to be strong for them....a mixed blessing. The small difference of 15-20 years might explain it too :heehee:

BeBe - sorry you feel your progress has stalled a bit.....when I did ODIC it seemed to take me ages to get back to normal (normal??!) but I think you're wise to stop the PT.....I haven't done any and the nurse at my 2 wk check was surprised I was doing so well (hadn't confessed I wasn't doing the exercises on the leaflet they'd given me....what the eye doesn't see....:heehee:). I think as long as you you balance your rest and activity in the day, and just increase it very slowly, it gives everything a chance to heal while ensuring you don't seize up (guess who indoctrinated me with that!). Good idea to try a crutch....it looks as if that might be the missing link between the walker and the cane. It took me about 10 mins to get used to the crutch, and since then I've found it quite secure. Maybe try 2 crutches to start with? I was told not to use the walker after the first day, asit doesn't encourage your body to use it's own balance mechanisms, whereas with crutches you can stand up straighter and get a more natural gait. However, it's horses for courses, and whatever gets you up and running comfortably :dancy: I think I'm logged into the conferences, but they started at such an unholy hour that I've decided to watch them in my own time....hope you manage to sort your log-in, I've heard others are having trouble too. have a lovely weekend, sun is shining here for a change, so will walk round the (jungle-like :whistle:) garden before the torrents of rain we're due tomorrow

You are doing phenomenally well @Deeleigh
And whoever said we can't help but compare is right!
But it's also right that we shouldn't because we all came to the party in different
condions. Age, health, limping, not limping, great pain. minimal pain, assistive device, or not, suffering for different lengths of time. There are members such as yourself who do float through recovery. Consider yourself blessed!
Hope you have a great rest of the weekend!

Wondering what time JRAD is on in your area? Sorry you had problems logging in.
You will be able to catch it here in its entirety and I believe they mentioned
broken down into segments within a couple weeks.
Hope you are having a nice day and weekend @anny

I haven't done any and the nurse at my 2 wk check was surprised I was doing so well (hadn't confessed I wasn't doing the exercises on the leaflet they'd given me....what the eye doesn't see....:heehee:).

I approached my recovery the same way. You have it going on, @anny
Your body is your guide!
Hope your week is sweet...you will get the jungle tamed in time!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
2Cats
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom