Susanne 5 Replacements and Going Strong

susanne

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone.... Just came from Manhattan for my 3 month right shoulder replacement checkup. Everything fine. I also slipped him my left shoulder X-ray. Will soon have to get that done soon. Visited my brother who had his shoulder replaced. omg. He's such a baby you would think they cut out his brain. Couldn't understand why he can't walk. He's not walking on hands. Men are too much. Sorry any guys out there but please......

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart

Last edited by a moderator:
So my poor brother. After having his reverse shoulder replacement had to go to another hospital for a redo. Staph infection. He will be going home tomorrow with a port for antibiotics. My poor mother is out of her mind with worry, what's going to happen, how will he work/ write. My brother is vice pres of communications at the metropolitan museum of art and one if the leading historians on Abraham Lincoln in the country. Thankfully as he says his latest book went to publishers after his editing... I feel worse for my sister in law who has to jump at his commands. So his being in hospital for 4 more days was a good break for her. Is it always harder on the caregivers?? I think it's harder for us the patients....sorry but that's men for you ( not all of you). There are exceptions
Have a great night everybody

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@susanne
I'm sorry to hear that your brother is having trouble with his shoulder. These staph infections are a set-back, but the doctors usually get on top of them after a while. Tell your sister-in-law not to give up hope.

Hi everybody. Bittersweet day. My daughter turned 27 today and again not having our annual bar-b-que which ive been doing until she moved to florida. Good thing is that 4 of her best and oldest friends flew to chicago to celebrate with her all weekend. My shoulder blade is in such a spasm that I can't move my shoulder ( of course it's the one that was replaced) took Advil, layed on foam roller to stretch iced and don't know what to do next. Guess bed it is
Hope everyone is feeling good. Have a sweet peaceful day/night. Love susanne
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1407460157.054652.jpg

Baby Emily at 3 weeks old!?

Need to call shoulder surgeon. Shoulder is in severe pain. So waiting for his phone call , when ever that will be

Hi my friends. Thought id catch up on my shoulder replacement. Just spoke to dr who said I probably strained/sprained it when i hoisted my sisters suitcase 2 weeks ago. Said to take anti-inflammatory which magically made it feel so much better. Getting ready to go away to fire island. I hope I won't bore you all with pictures. I'll keep you posted isn't it grand getting old! Love susanne

It's 10 pm here hoping all is well. Stirring up trouble seems to be my middle name I'm hoping everyone is feeling ok
It's been 10 months since my tkr 4 yrs is since my hip replacement 7 yrs since my hip revision
And 4 yrs since my shoulder replacement. Im Due for another shoulder replacement but can't afford to lose time off form work so putting it off until I can afford it. I'm still teaching special ed preschoolers and the toll it's taken on my body is insane. Life has given me lots of problems, but I refuse to let it get me down. I am thankful to wake up each day even though I'm always in pain but this too shall pass
Hoping everyone had a somewhat pain free night. Remember the grass is not always greener on the other side. With much love

Knee hurts other knee hurts shoulder can't lift arm having girls atvwk help me pull up back of pants can't bend arm back. So embarrassing

@susanne sorry you are in pain. I haven't read your whole thread so I may be off base but have you tried prednisone or cortisone shots for the shoulder pain? I have RA in my right shoulder and get impingement symptoms like you described. It is very miserable but the prednisone helps. I hope you get relief soon.

@minnies knees. Yes I have had cortisone shots (2) in my shoulder. The surgeon who replaced my right one saw the X-rays and said yup u need it replaced. Bone on bone. Have been taking alleve and doing some of the exercises I dif for my other shoulder. Just can't bare the thought if going under knife again
Thanks susanne

@susanne I understand not wanting to have surgery again. Hopefully the aleeve and exercises help. From reading your other posts you have a lot going on every day and are not able to rest and let your shoulder calm down. I am the same way and it has been the hardest part of my recovery. Wishing you a restful night.

Well,heard from neuro yesterday. He said there showsb just a slight difference from the MRI I had 3 years ago more arthritis and some disc issues , again offering meds and PT . PT is out bc can't afford it, plus can do electric tens and the stretches at home and meds well not sure if I will get them refilled. Just a crutch knowing they are there if I need them. More interested in getting meds for sleep. I've been using my scarf as a temporarily sling at work, can't imagine what director would say if he saw my new get up, but I think it's helping a bit by not letting it hang so much. So to make a long story short has to be replaced!
Just don't know when or how I will manage financially. Story of my life 3 steps forward 2 steps back. My ltkr is actually feeling quite good. It's the other one that's starting to hurt. I've been using my cane walking thru parking lot as it's pretty icy, don't want repeat of last year. So I've been using elec tens and taping my knee and shoulder up. I'm ready for the games to begin linebacker anyone !

Well first the good news my tkr knee feels really good. Maybe the cold weather is good. Who knows? My other knee not so great I just ordered on amazon some new arthritis vitamins and creams, had some real good and promising reviews but then again the old saying comes into mind if it's too good to be true it probably won't work or something like that. Now to work on shoulder, I've been doing some exercises, taping, elec tens, icy hot ice packs you name it. Nothing working, so I'm walking around holding my arm close to body...hope not too obvious at work. Esp when putting on coat can't get arms thru need a few hands to help. Going to see to internist tomorrow since the dr I loved moved about 1 hr away. So time to find new one, neuro prescribed new meds since the tramadol and cymbalta do nothing . I hate wasting money in scripts but I'll keep trying some until he gets it right, just looking forward to my pain management dr in February. That should be the winner. Hopefully he will be able to figure out all these pains from back to neck.
Hope everyone is feeling good seems from reading posts lots of people doing better
Love and sleep well......I'm sure I'll be up around 3 am USA time and of course have work tomorrow ...ugh!!!!!

Hi @susanne

That's great news about your TKR but no so about your shoulder. I hope all is ok at home with your bf and everything.

Love Ann xx

Oh dear hmmmm will.extend arms so I.can help you put coat on. Seriously I'm sorry about the shoulder I know how painful it can be. I damaged my.shoulder a.few years back.wasn't looking where I was.going properly sort of.missed seeing the twenty foot drop. Oooooops. Hope you get some relief

Legin THR Sep 14

It's amazing that at exactly 1 yr my knee stopped bothering me. My quads are still a little weak and bike riding and using stairs was suggested for strengthening them.

I had my other knee xrayed too. She said there is some loss of cartilage but nothing to be concerned about I also asked her about this little bulge I have on the right side of knee. Said very common in women over 50 kind of like a fatty pocket. That's all I need. Anyway. Very pleased with report and no restrictions necessary

Now to get other shoulder better. I've been taping it and that seems to help a lot. Just so used to sleeping on back for a year that when I turn on side hurts shoulders
Be well and safe everyone. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Ann. Yes I had my right shoulder replaced. Felt like a bed of nails pounding on shoulder. Dr did experimental left rotator cuff in tact wked around it. Recovery easiest one. Now for the left one
I've been taping it and using salan pas pads. Nothing helps. I hold it in my scarf so it diesnt look like a sling that's all I need
Another storm hit us ice and snow ugh!! Look like a 90 yr old walking with my Yak Trax on my boots to prevent slipping and my cane for moral support
Here's what the city looked like
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1422936755.965325.jpg
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1422936766.466678.jpg
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1422936782.502189.jpg
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1422936805.624582.jpg

And of course kitty saying I'm not getting out of this bed EVER!!

Hi @susanne

Gosh that's what you call snow. I know they get it like that up North where @Legin comes from but all the way down here we don't seem to get very much these days. It's been more likely to fall in February.

Does your replaced shoulder act and feel like a normal one? What problems (if any) do you have? X

Oh poor Kitty is not happy!!!!

Love Ann x x x

Ann. The replaced shoulder feels or should i say felt better. Because I'm overcompensating for the other shoulder right one hurts just a little bit. Remember it's only because it'd use it more and it just hangs there. That's why I keep it in my scarf to stabilize it more. I just can't believe this is happening to me again The unbearable pain, just want to chop it off.
Now all I'm thinking about is going out an cleaning my windows from more snow that we had last night, just can't win!!! Am not a happy camper at all. Thought I'd be through with all this stuff by now . :(. :(

Hi my friends. Been a little too busy with drs and family.

So the news after going to neuro, PT, chiropractors, reke therapy, acupuncture finally saw rheumatologist. Loved her --dx osteo arthritis She said the best of any meds will not help shoulder pain except for a replacement. She said since it's so advanced, arthritis runs in family there isn't much of a choice. Very strict now with narcotics. So we are trying for lidocaine patch if ins covers it just as a band-aide until I can have it replaced. So I cried my way home, at least she said my other knee sounds good and of course with the advice of losing weight and exercising. So no more complaint. Knee feels good, hip is good and so is right shoulder.
Just glad that we have these techniques at hand (no pun) for us.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015