Standard Shoulder Replacement Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder

Hope you get some rest after your sleepless night! Sounds like you are doing all the right things for that new shoulder. Getting back behind the wheel must be bliss. Enjoy!

Therapy session number 2 went well. Sarah added in 3 more exercises to work different muscles. They are all very gentle - one set of isometric movements and 2 passive exercises with a stick. There are so many muscles in my shoulder, neck and arm that need work! I had no idea.

She took it easier on me today, though, after my telling her that I had a lot of muscle pain after Tuesday's session. She massaged mostly my bicep muscles that is so very tight and painful. It does help but I think it's going to take a while for it to realize it doesn't have to do all this extra work now. I feel like my rotator cuffs have had a 5-year free ride. They won't know what to think now that they DO have to work.

I am reading this for information, Jamie. I just had a knee replacement, but I also have bone spurs in my right shoulder and am afraid that will be next! By the way, re:your tater caper- I hate to peel potatoes, so I just use white or red new potatoes in my potato salad, no peeling!

@Jamie Oh the shoulder bone's connected to the arm bone ... and the neck bones and the back bones, even to the finger bones and all those muscles and tendons and sinews are connected to each other as well. Isn't it amazing how far the effects of fixing a problem can extend! Dear rotator cuff will eventually get it's act together and relearn it's job :wave: :yay: :thumb: :climb:

I am reading this for information, Jamie. I just had a knee replacement, but I also have bone spurs in my right shoulder and am afraid that will be next! By the way, re:your tater caper- I hate to peel potatoes, so I just use white or red new potatoes in my potato salad, no peeling!
I do sometimes use new potatoes in my salad. But in this case I was trying to use up some taters that had been around for too long and needed to get eaten. Those old skins were plenty thick! It's okay....I'm just like all of you in that I test my limits after surgery too. I actually got a chuckle the next day when I renewed my membership in the Over Did It Club (ODIC).

Right before scheduling my left shoulder for replacement I asked my surgeon to also take images of my right shoulder. I had a couple of bone spurs but no reduction in the cartilage. The right shoulder has great mobility and no pain. He said it's possible that things could change or the shoulder might make it fine with a few spurs for many years. Those spurs are sometimes just a factor of our aging bodies. So try not to worry about your shoulder needlessly. That said, it's always a good idea to treat your aging joints with tender loving care. Practice good habits when pulling, pushing or lifting to minimize the potential of any damage or injury. By the same token if you are regularly engaging in high use exercises or sports that involve your shoulders (like throwing a baseball, playing tennis or racketball...that type of thing), you might consider taking it a bit easier. Regular exercise involving your shoulders and some gradual strength training will help protect the joint. You could either work with a trainer at your local gym or possibly get your GP to write an order for a few therapy sessions so you could learn what exercises will benefit you. Usually a therapist will give you a printout of your exercises so you can keep that and use it at home after the sessions end. A little preventive maintenance never hurts!

I actually do have pain and decreased flexion in my shoulder already. I was going for PT, and it had settled down nicely, until my arms had to do extra work due to my knee replacement surgery! Time to start those exercises again!

The exercises will help you with your shoulder. But don't put off getting it replaced if you need it done once you are recovered from your TKR. It's possible to do damage to the rotator cuff muscles and you don't want that. I have heard people say that you won't get back any more range of motion after shoulder surgery than you had going in, but I don't find that to be true. Once my surgeon got my poor "oval shaped" ball replaced and removed the giant bone spur I had, he was able to get good shoulder motion for me. So I'm hoping I'll get all that range back eventually.

Today's therapy session went very well. I was a bit sore from some of my exercises at home Tuesday, so Sarah took it a little easy with me. And she did a lot of soft tissue massage on my shoulder blades and forearm. Amazingly that loosened up the muscles so much that I made major strides in some of the range of motion she took my arm through.

Before surgery, my shoulder had gotten to the point where I could not lift my arm much above my waist. I knew my muscles had atrophied significantly. Even the surgeon wasn't willing to say how much range of motion I would get back. But it's looking good that I'll get most, if not all of it. Happy day! Now if I just had some muscle tone and strength. Sarah warns that will be a long time coming, so settle down and be patient (something I'm usually not!).

Great news that you have so much more ROM since your surgery. Give it time and your strength will be back.

Can you send me a few Patience Pills? :rotfl:

Seriously, though....I am very happy with my progress in just under 2 months. There are times when I completely forget that I had the shoulder surgery. That's a nice feeling. My shoulder is so different than my knees. I never even think about my shoulder having an implanted joint.

Such good news Jamie! I guess if it took 5 years for the muscles to atrophy it's going to take awhile to build strength. Certainly sounds like you are on the right track with this recovery!

@Jamie :thumb: and here's a Patience pill for you :whistle: ... With my 2nd shoulder replacement my surgeon did range of motion measurements after I was off to LaLa Land ..... and needless to say they were not good. I could (when not under anesthesia) barely lift the arm above my waist .... and that hurt horribly! First visit after surgery they again measured ROM ..... I could already raise it to shoulder height! With very little pain! Don't know if in the OR measurements were done with the first shoulder but that surgeon was very pleased and happy with my ROM ...as am I .... putting dishes up on the shelf now is easy and effortless :) Patience is a virtue, Virtue is a Grace, Grace is a little girl with jelly on her face .... have a jelly and know that ROM will come with time and steady adherence to PT protocols.

:snork: What a wonderful post, @djklaugh! I most certainly will take little Grace to heart when I start feeling impatient. I'll just have some jelly bread and relax. Thank you so much for the smile and the wonderful advice.

Friday's therapy session brought new exercises and a big surprise. Sarah has me passively pulling my arm up my back now in addition to the other pulley movements. Amazingly, I can actually pull my arm up about 1/3 of the way up my back with the assistance of the rope. No muscle strength there yet.

My shoulder that tends to hike itself up when I raise my arm (or sometimes when I'm just standing) is slowly learning not to do that and to let the rotator cuff muscles do the work. But it's a real battle. Some positions with my arm are easier than others. If my arm is straight out in front of me, I do pretty well. The more I move my arm out to the side to raise it, the more I have to fight with my shoulder to keep it from lifting. I think this is because I've been doing those "straight front" pulley movements since the day after surgery so the sholder may have "learned" better behavior in that position. The movements out to the side are newer exercises and the muscles are still new a what is their correct role in the movement.

Sarah had me get up on what she called the "skinny table" on my stomach. It's a padded bench about 18 inches wide with a hole for your face so you can breathe. You lie on your stomach and basically do what I called "flying." It was actually kind of fun and I was able to do the exercises. You start with your arms hanging down at rest. First your push your shoulder blades together without tensing up anywhere else. Hold that for a couple of seconds, then you move your arms either up and to your side parallel to your body or out to the side of your body like wings. I just closed me eyes and pictured myself flying through the air like a bird. Getting off that dang table was a whole lot tougher than any of the exercises.

During the massage and tissue manipulation, Sarah worked her way down into my armpit to find the subscapularis muscle that my surgeon had told me was so contracted that he was worried about it pulling loose after the surgery.

Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder

Oh my!!! It HURT when she touched it. We talked and she said it was going to be tough to rehab because it's so difficult to reach. But she's accepted the challenge, so I am pretty sure she's already thinking up ways to make me stretch it and to work on it herself. She said because of the position of that muscle (so deeply embedded in other soft tissue) it's almost impossible for me to do anything to help release it.

Last edited:
It sounds as though you're doing well, Jamie. :yes!:
I like your therapist!

Up and down - it's the story of recovery. Yesterday my shoulder started hurting a bit even though I don't think I did anything different. It still has some tender spots today and is a bit sore when I move certain ways. I'm going to see if maybe some pulley time will ease the soreness.

Hi Jamie! I am in the same boat. My physio appointments are 2 weeks apart so I don’t get a lot of chance to discuss progress.

`The soreness did get a bit better after the pulley exercises. Those gentle movements seem to stretch things out and calm down any discomfort. I also did a little "ball rolling" over my upper arm muscles that are almost constantly sore to the touch. I still have a fair amount of swelling just to the front of my arm pit and I'm sure that's not helping. Range of motion continues to slowly improve, though.

I had bilateral TKR last June and I’m still having lots of soreness, stuff and just difficult. I’m a good weight and got in great shape prior. Frustrating 11 months.

Now I learned last week I have no cartilage and need left shoulder replacement. He said my pain tolerance is amazing because most would want it immediately. I just can’t do it now. I’ve got to get over the other. In addition I need foot surgery from a break that healed wrong and bone is pressing a nerve. I will likely need my low back and possibly neck fused. I’m in the process of getting yet another round of ablations and if they don’t help, something has to be done.

But I’m terrified of the shoulder limitations. I have a bunch of pets and live alone. My doctor said no use fir 6 weeks (I realize this likely doesn’t include light exercises) and NO lifting etc for 6 months. I don’t know how I would manage taking care of myself for 6 months much less my cats with some being old and sick. Feeding, litter, etc.

I had major bone spur surgery on this shoulder 2 years ago but could lightly use it immediately. Just couldn’t raise it. How do you do this? I’m scared. Upset. Frustrated. Thanks.

I was very worried about the inability to use my arm for 6 weeks. That was what my surgeon told me. But in reality, I was able to use my hand to grip things and I was allowed out of the sling during the day as long as I didn't overdo the activity with my shoulder or carry anything in that hand heavier than a coffee cup. I was amazed at what I could do with one good arm and that little bit of activity from my surgery arm.

I have a dog that's old and needs lot of attention. I boarded her for 3 weeks and that turned out to be a good choice for me. I could not have taken her out on the leash during that time. Those first weeks in particular, you are kind of finding your way. I had help lined up from a neighbor teen, but never needed it. I did have Home Health for about 5 weeks and that made a huge difference.

It just takes a lot of planning ahead for how you'll handle things. You can do it. Can you hire a neighbor kid to help you with the cats? At least they aren't as bad as having a dog that must be walked. You can usually order groceries online and either have a friend pick them up or have them delivered. Check into that ahead of time. Put up meals in the freezer and buy plenty of easy things to eat (canned and boxed goods).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom