Standard Shoulder Replacement Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder

Jamie

Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
I finally had my left shoulder replaced on February 22, 2019. It was 5 long years in the making as I was not able to take time needed for recovery and care for my husband during those years. But it's a done deal now!

Things generally are going pretty well, and I'l post more in the coming weeks about my surgery experiences and recovery. But I thought I'd just get this thread going now that it's been a week since surgery and I'm finally feeling up to getting back on the forum a little bit.

If you'd like to read the saga that led up to this wonderful event, my shoulder pre-op thread is here.

Last edited:
It’s so good to hear from you, Jamie, we’ve all been thinking of you. Best wishes for your recovery! :flwrysmile:

I look forward to learning about shoulder replacement, hopefully as a spectator, but I’m having some issues with mine, so who knows what’s in my future.

@Jamie Great to see you back here! You are in our thoughts. Hope all is going well!

@Jamie It's wonderful to see you back on line :wave: I hope you are healing well and your post-op recovery is progressing smoothly. :cheers:

Hi @Jamie ! I am happy to see you finally got the shoulder taken care of. Rest up!

Hi @Jamie - I'm glad to hear that you're doing all right. :loveshwr: :friends:

All of a sudden starting this past Monday, I've had a tremendous problem with insomnia. I mean being totally wired for days and little rest. I've been so very tired, but restless enough that I could not sit still even enough to watch a television show, much less sleep. The lack of rest has been making me feel very bad.

Consequently, I stopped cold turkey taking the 3 hydrocodones per day I was taking and switched to Tylenol every 8 hours, as insomnia can be a side effect from the drug. That has kept the pain managed, but probably also gave me a bit of withdrawal, which can also mean insomnia and restless anxiety. Ugh!

Last night I was able to get some sleep in my bed instead of the couch (10 hours only slightly broken up with bathroom trips) and it really helped. But I'm still profoundly tired and hoping for a repeat sleep experience.

I'm only two weeks into my six weeks of restriction of movement for my shoulder. I met with my surgeon this past Monday for removal of the stitches and he said everything was fine. But since one of my rotator cuff muscles was so contracted (a problem because I waited so long for the surgery), he is extremely concerned that I might tear the muscle from the humerus where he attached it. Hence, the warning about wearing my immobilization brace a good bit of the day and anytime I might fall asleep and the warnings about external rotation, any lifting (a no-no) and backward movement of my arm.

It's going to be a long wait for a very impatient patient.

Hi Jamie. Yes I know how you feel about sleep. I would love to get a good long sleep.
Otherwise, all is well. Hang in there!

So sorry you are having sleep problems Jamie. Sounds like that medication isn't your friend! Is your pain managed with just Tylenol? Hope you can get some rest! :sleep:

I know after knee surgery sleep is an issue as a result of having had major surgery. It’s probably the same after shoulder replacement. Hugs as you go through this recovery. :console2:

The sleeplessness I had with my knee surgeries was quite different. For both surgeries I stayed on the hydrocodone for about 4 weeks and it didn't make me wired like it did this time. With my knees, I'd wake up with stiffness and do some laps around the house or turns on the bicycle for about 20 minutes and I could go back to sleep with ice packs. There was no sleeping AT ALL with the meds and my shoulder. But, fortunately, it seems that has passed along with the slight withdrawal symptoms I had yesterday. That's pretty typical for it to take about 3 days for everything to calm down after stopping cold turkey. So things are looking up.

And, yes, the Tylenol works great with those 3 doses to completely control pain. I've been amazed at how little pain the shoulder has had.

Glad to hear you are doing good but hoping you start sleeping better. I just found this thread so I will check in more often. Take care of your new shoulder!

Jamie, I hope your recovery keeps moving in a good direction, I hope the sleep issues improve. Thank you for sharing so much of your journey, it's been quite helpful

Sleep is still miserable. I never know what I'm going to get at night, but it's usually not much. Last night I tried every chair, the couch and bed. None were good for much except one position on the couch that got me a comfortable 2 hours. But....it was a position where my surgery arm was facing out and I was lying on a wedge pillow. It was really comfortable lying down and getting the sleep. But when I tried to get up, because I couldn't roll to the side to sit upright, it was so difficult to get in a position to sit upright and stand. I could tell doing much of that moving around was putting stress on the subscapularis muscle that the surgeon warned me was so tight and might tear loose from the humerus. So I won't be doing that again. As much as I tried to guard it and I was in my immobilizer brace, my arm is more sore than it's been. I hope I didn't do anything bad enough to damage it, but I'm not sure how you would know that. Any ideas, @Josephine?

I'm going today to pick up my dog from the kennel. She's been boarded for 3 weeks and I know she'll be glad to get home. Some friends are helping me, so I'll be okay. I hope I won't have any problems taking care of her now. I've really missed her this past week.

I hope things go well with your dog, I’m sure he’s missed you, too.

I’m sure it’s very frustrating not being able to get into a comfortable and safe position to sleep. That would definitely keep me from falling asleep, as I’ve never been able to “sleep anywhere”.

Hey Jamie I know what you mean about sleep. If I lie on my back for any extended time, I get acid reflux and have to get up. However, 2 nights ago I was able to get 7 hours sleep in 4,2,1 hour segments. I guess your body adapts when it realizes it can’t do certain things. Your dog will also give you some relief by being with you. Hang in buddy.

I don't know about what you might have done but in future you need to get yourself in a position where you will find it easier to get up. Pity you can't get hold of a monkey pole to aid your getting up. I found this on Amazon

monkey pole 1-horz.jpg

I actually thought the position I was in was going to be okay to get up from. It wasn't until I tried it that I found it difficult and so than position is now banned from my repertoire of potential sleep positions. The shoulder is better today. I think I just engaged that muscle a bit which resulted in some aching for a while. I took additional Tylenol and kept my arm in my sling more. When I googled some about potential problems, all I found was that if something serious had happened, I'd have pain when I lifted my arm (I don't) and my hand would be involuntarily turning when lying still (it's not). So, I think it was just a case of putting a little strain on the still-healing tissues and they were hollering about it. And for me mentally, it was a case of not knowing enough about all this and being scared that I might tear the surgeon's good work loose. I'm sure at this point that has not happened and all is well.

If I lie on my back for any extended time, I get acid reflux and have to get up.
I was having this problems as well and called my GP to get a short course of medication to reduce stomach acid production. He felt the reflux and stomach discomfort was a result of the surgery and temporary. The medicine allows any irritation in the esophagus as a result of the tubes to heal. The only thing you need to remember when taking this type of medication is that you also need to take plenty of probiobics to keep your gut bacteria in balance. So....I'm doing a daily capsule and yogurt.

I finally did get comfortable after 7 am this morning and slept until 11:30 when the phone rang. I have fingers crossed that I won't be a Midnight Stalker again tonight. But my sweet dog is back home and that should help. She was VERY happy to see Momma when we picked her up. So thankful to have good friends to help me with a big chore like that. It was quite involved to get all of us in the car and home!

Thank you so much for sharing your saga; I’ll be on the post op thread in June. I can only imagine how difficult it is to try to rise from a reclined position post surgery and with immobilization ; just about impossible I think. I’m glad you’re at least getting a few hours here and there, it makes such a difference. Take care and sleep well!:sleep:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts