Arthroscopy Excruciating calf pain after knee surgery

Joy44

Country
United States United States
I am 10 days out of arthroscopic knee surgery. Other than expected knee stiffness no issues with my knee. I was able to walk without a crutch within 2 days but for the past 7 days after surgery, I sleep with my leg elevated, and as soon as I swing my leg down to a vertical position my calf has excruciating pain in which I am unable to put any pressure on my leg. Even just sitting with the leg down on side of bed is just as horrible. PA said he never heard of this and thought maybe I injured my calf…not the case. Please help. I will also add on day 3 my calf started getting a purplish / blue hematoma from back of knee almost all the way down to my ankle. Day 10 it’s here but is getting a little lighter and yellow but it’s still pretty purple.

Date of surgery 4/18/24 - left knee

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Consider checking in with your surgeon with your symptoms and see what he or his care team has to offer. Through conversation they will let you know if you need to schedule an office visit.

Please share the exact date of your procedure and identify the affected knee. We will use this info to create a signature for you making it easier for those that stop by to read or comment to see within a quick glance how far you are into your recovery.

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We'd like to support you on your healing journey.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Joy44

Regarding the suspected hematoma,
I have read that they can be drained surgically in some cases and depending upon their size and location can take longer to reabsorb. This process can take a month, or even a few months. Many have dealt with hematomas and you can read their threads if interested by using the SEARCH at the top right side of the page, typing in key words and all threads where it's been mentioned will pop up.

Thank you for the quick response. I've been to the ER twice to check for DVT and luckily it is negative. Going to surgeon today and will report back in case others find this information useful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads