TKR Donna' s Recovery

donnag1108

senior
Country
United States United States
Well I am 4 days post op. Pain has been an issue but it's improving and the medication is working. I have an odd ache or pain here and there in the leg not at the surgery site which I suspect is probably normal so I am trying not to worry about every little thing. Swelling not too terrible and skin color looks good. My leg is weaker then I expected but I'm getting around ok with my trusty walker. I had a nerve block and spinal anesteshia.

Welcome to recovery!

All you said sounds like what we all went through. :console2:

I meant to post these Recovery Guidelines but hit “post” by mistake. :heehee:

Here you go, and Best Wishes!

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
ONE Recovery Thread.
This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you Jockette! Like I said trying not to worry about every little thing. Just resting!

Yep, aches and pains here and there is normal. During your surgery your leg, muscles, and tendons are moved in all kinds of different ways. That's what causes all these different pains. This recovery takes lots of patience. Gentle movements only and with lots of icing and elevating! Ice is a wonderful pain reliever! I iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down. You should do the same thing. Just make sure you have a cloth between your skin and the ice pack.

Thank you for the reassurances that my aches and pains are normal. I am learning ice is my best friend!

You are very very early into recovery. Try to just focus on relaxing, sleeping and icing. Icing will be helpful for swelling and pain.

Question! I was released from the hospital 12/6. I am one of those people that keeps up with my insurance claims and such. I noticed on the 7th there was a request for prior authorization for Abatacept injection made by my surgeon to my insurance company. From my reading this is an extremely expensive treatment and is for RA, which I have not been diagnosed with. The request was for 35 units and was approved by my insurance. This is not something my surgeon and I have discussed, and I trust him 100%, but could he have found out something during my surgery that may now require this medication? I will be discussing this with him at my post op appt. but anyone know anything about this?

This is not something my surgeon and I have discussed, and I trust him 100%, but could he have found out something during my surgery that may now require this medication? I will be discussing this with him at my post op appt. but anyone know anything about this?
I don't know anything about this and I think your best bet is to discuss it with your surgeon.
It's possible that he mistakenly applied for the Abatacept for you, when he meant to do that for another patient.

Day 6 post op. Doing ok I suppose. Thank God for pain meds. I have been able to go for short little walks with my walker. I have an odd swelling pattern. Knee is swollen of course, although not terrible down to mid calf. Then leg looks normal then swollen below that from shin to ankle, again nothing terrible just seems kind of odd to be swelling that way. Worst pain for me is in the knee cap for sure. Taking it easy and listening to my body.

Swelling can happen anywhere over your surgical leg. I guess the fluid goes to the easiest place to hangout. Be sure and elevate toes above your nose as long as you can, along with icing. Those two things help to drain out that fluid.

First official PT appt in my home tomorrow. I am so grateful I've been reading this forum on this topic. I know what is okay and what isn't and it's okay for me to say no if it's something painful. These folks work for me!

First PT appointment today. She is definitely of the gentle persuasion with the exercises. My leg is very weak so it is hard for me to lift it. Focusing on gentle movement to gain improvement there. I am concerned because it is not bending so well however she wants to go slow, not really focusing on a certain number but slow progress with the bending and she wants me to speak up if something hurts and not to push myself as I would likely pay for overdoing it later.

I had surgery 12/4. Pain has been an issue for me BUT I did learn the hard way dose on time even if I don't feel I need it. I'm not a pill taker so it's hard for me to do but I'm staying on top of it. I know we all heal differently but is there a standard schedule for slowing use of pain meds? I always feel like I am taking too much even though it's as prescribed. Right now I am on oxy 10/325 1-2 every 4-6 hrs. 4 hours works best for me which we established in the hospital and sometimes I need 2. Does this seem like too much? I see my OS Monday and I am unsure if I should ask for another rx or tough it out moving forward. Me just being the worrier I am again! Other then that movement is improving.

If you follow the prescription's dosage, it should be OK.

Just spent the day in the er. No bowel movements for 12 days. Pain meds are the culprit. It was by no means pleasant and it took awhile but the wonderful Dr. and staff got things going. I never want to endure that again. On the upside I'm home resting finally and My knee is hanging in there like a trooper. Follow up with OS in the morning. This day was hell but I am grateful.

Oh my goodness, what an awful experience you had today. At least things are moving. I pray they keep on!

Saw my wonderful surgeon today. All is looking great! No bruising at all and the swelling isn't too bad. Had my staples removed. He is very happy with my progress. Graduating to outpatient PT next week. Everything is really looking good. I totally over did it yesterday with the er visit for constipation issues so my knee is pretty angry today. Refilled my pain meds although I am tapering them he doesn't want me stopping altogether just yet and with how it feels today I agree. So far very pleased with everything and am 100% confident in my choice. He moved and touched my knee today in ways he did prior to surgery and all that arthritic pain is gone!! So amazing after just 2 weeks of healing. This is thebpaib of healing and I am excited about moving forward and learning what I can do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tallguy51
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom