Does a TKR ever become a "forgotten knee"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen testimonies from some people in the internet saying that they are so happy with their TKR so much so that they cannot tell which leg has been operated on. Well, I can tell you that after 14 months +, my knees still feels stiff and tight and they clunk sometimes when I walk. I cant say how I would feel in 10 years time but I don't think it will be very much different. I feel that unless OA has not affected your ROM or stiffness before TKR, then the knees may feel more natural after surgery. But its highly unlikely because most of us who goes through TKR would have reached a severe stage of OA before surgery.

My surgeon says that you can forget about a new hip but that you never forget you have a new knee

Here is how I feel at 14 weeks, having just returned to work:
I forget about it/don't think about it until about 1pm on a workday, as that is when it is letting me know that it is there and is kind of new, needs a little love, and I should slow down and rest. When I get home everyday I still ice and elevate.
On weekends, if I am running around and working, I usually take a lot of breaks and get that 'slow down ache' at about 4pm.
Otherwise, I forget about it, and then remember that I am not suffering in pain anymore and I am in awe of that new, pain-free feeling!

Absolutely---yes it does. I was asking myself the very same questions during recovery going on five years ago this November! I wondered if the knees would ever feel as if they were truly apart of me! And the answer is, for me---a resounding "YES"!! I can literally go for weeks not thinking about the implants in my knees---they feel great, and I know now instinctively what I can and should not do---and my Stryker Triathlons are now just as a normal part of me as my charming blue eyes...:loll:

I understand how many feel---going through the dark days---weeks ---and sometimes months after the surgery and through recovery. My recovery was long, too---also due to the fact that I went back to the classroom too early.

However...and a REALLY BIG HOWEVER, I can attest that now, my knees feel ever so much apart of me and that my life is now MY LIFE---it does not belong to arthritis. I rarely think about my implants---every now and then.

I'm not sure that's the right question, with respect; "do they feel better than before surgery?" is what I would ask. And that's 100% YES.

My surgeon says that you can forget about a new hip but that you never forget you have a new knee
Then I would dispute your surgeon entirely. I do have a "forgotten knee", absolutely and completely! Were it not for my other knee and my weight :whistle: I could run up and down stairs with alacrity and frequently do regardless though I'm a bit puffed when I get to the top! Also, if it were not for my working on here and looking at my signature a few score times a day, I wouldn't ever give it a thought.

Oh yes I would though! I am so proud to have this knee and delighted with the wonderful result. THAT I don't forget!

Tim, Roy and Josephine - Wow you have inspired me! That you can go for days without thinking of the knees or the knees can be forgotten is reassuring. I find that its the stiffness that keeps reminding me but everything else is great.

I sure am hoping that my knee will be "forgettable" when I get mine next month. Hoping my OS does as well with my knee as he did with my hip. He told me that I would still feel my hip for a year or two and it is only 7 months and I honestly don't know it is there. No pain, no clunks or catches, sooo nice. But I know knee is more difficult.

I wouldn't say that I have a "forgotten knee," because I think of it as my miracle knee. Everyday I am in awe of how great it is and all the things that I can now do without pain.

I had a RTKR July 3rd 2008. I can honestly say that I go days without even thinking about the implant. It was without a doubt the best decision I ever made. OA had taken over my life. I had no qualms whatsoever about having to go thru the surgery and recovery for the second time. I just had my LTKR June 18th 2012. Even at PT I don't even think about my right knee. I mean I know the implant is there, but I really don't even think about it anymore. My job is sitting at a computer all day and the only time I may notice things is if I sit for a long period of time that the knee feels a tad bit stiff. I am just praying that I get the same results in the long run with my left implant. So far so good! Best wishes to you on your surgery and recovery.

Here is a thought: Are my knees as good as the original ones that I had when I was, say 18 or 19 years old? No, they are not quite that good. My ROM today is really very good, but not quite what it was when I was squatting and playing baseball in HS---or playing college football or reffing college basketball.

Looking back, though, I now realize that arthritis, at least in my case, moved insidiously slowly and worked in a way that I could not recognize truly how threatened my lifestyle had become.

After my BTKR, though, my knees are absolutely wonderful---they are not the perfect replacement, but they allow me to do anything that I want to do. I do go for quite some time in not realizing that my knees are not the ones that i was born with. My life is mine now, and I am not being held hostage by arthritis.

Thank you everyone for your very positive replies, I feel really very encouraged.
I have been walking so badly for so long, even though I don't have constant pain in my affected knee, although it is very stiff, but in recent months the "good" knee is hurting more and more, although the surgeon tells me that the X rays look fine, so I think it must be pulled muscles, tendons, ligaments etc, because my gait is so awkward.
My "bad" knee hurts at night, and getting out of a chair and standing is now a nightmare.
I can only walk any distance using a three wheeled walker.
To have a knee that works, to not limp, to stand up straight, and to get my life back seems like an impossible dream.
I can't wait to be "on the other side" and to be able to tell you of my progress.

ladyj, you will get a , "knee that works, to not limp, to stand up straight, and to get my life back " and more. It takes a lot of time and patience to get there, but you will:). I had a difficult recovery, but at 6 months, I started to gain my life back from 8 years of limpimg and constant pain. The very best part for me has been being able to play with my 3 grand kids under the age of 3. I can get down on the floor and play with them, look for lost toys under furnature, chase them around and walk for miles without any pain.:thumb:. Nothing like the pleasure this brings into my life and it is all because of my new knee that is such a welcome new part of my life:happydance:. Good luck with your new knee.:SUNsmile:

Thank you so much, Mimi. It is so good of you to reply. I have two grandchildren, and one on the way, my younger daughters first.
My grandchildren have never known me able to get up and play with them. My mother in law, who is 90 is much more agile than me and runs around with them in the garden. That is very dispiriting, as you can imagine.
The idea of being able to take them out, walk with them in the park, and play with them properly, is more than I can possibly imagine.

ladyj,
Have you got surgery arranged yet ?
Love Viv xx ps is it raining in your neck of the woods ? :rofsign:

Yes I have a date now, 30th July at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.

Pouring with rain most of the time, but luckily we live on top of a hill, or as much of a hill as we have in Essex.

I had a RTKR July 3rd 2008. I can honestly say that I go days without even thinking about the implant. It was without a doubt the best decision I ever made. OA had taken over my life. I had no qualms whatsoever about having to go thru the surgery and recovery for the second time. I just had my LTKR June 18th 2012. Even at PT I don't even think about my right knee. I mean I know the implant is there, but I really don't even think about it anymore. My job is sitting at a computer all day and the only time I may notice things is if I sit for a long period of time that the knee feels a tad bit stiff. I am just praying that I get the same results in the long run with my left implant. So far so good! Best wishes to you on your surgery and recovery.

I have a question Carolinagirl, You say if you sit for a long time the leg gets kind of stiff. My OA knee does that now, but you aren't talking about the same kind of pain and stiffness as before implants correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom