Different "Brands" or "Types" of TKRs

Momma-me

Country
United States United States
Hello

Does anyone have a link that discusses models/designs of TKRs?

How does one compare or know which one is better suited to them?

Are there separate models or designs made for males and females?

(OK.. I'm done reading for tonight...LOL)

I would leave it up to your surgeon to decide which implants are most suitable and probably which he is most comfortable with.

Your surgeon will use the implant they have the most experience using taking into consideration your own medical situation and lifestyle. The key is finding a surgeon who does many TKRs per year. Recovery is different for everyone but a skilled surgeon is key.

Yes, that’s about it.

I found out recently that my surgeon doesn’t do very many partials. Surprise surprise, I haven’t had a good outcome. I was so naive and trusting 2 years ago it never occurred to me to ask how many Patellofemorals he had done. It also never occurred to me to get a second opinion.

I had a second opinion last month, at 2 years post op, and I asked him if he does Patellofemorals and he said no. He said there are surgeons who won’t do them and surgeons who think it’s a good procedure.

So, my original surgeon did a controversial procedure with little experience. At my one year check up I asked his office how many Patellofemorals he has done and they gave me the run around and wouldn’t tell me.

I’ve had 2 years of problems as a result.

To answer another of your original questions, yes, some manufacturers do make implants specifically for women, and there may be some circumstances where that would be entirely appropriate; however, most implants have a variety of sizing available, so a surgeon custom fits the implant to your body and makes sure it works properly before closing up your knee. There are also custom designed implants and computer aided installation.

If you just like reading about such things, you can do it, but you are better served to find an experienced and competent surgeon. Without that, the type of implant doesn't really matter.

My OS used different brands for each of my tkrs (a couple of years apart) based on what he thought would work best in my situation. I asked about the type of implant afterwards out of curiosity more than anything. As others have said the important thing is an experienced surgeon.

Thanks for the responses everyone! The surgeon told me yesterday which one they used and I was such in shock from the news that I needed the TKRs... I blanked out on every single bit of information afterwards... :loll:

@Jockette Even though everyone says "nothing is wrong with it" Does anyone recommend converting it to a total? IDK... what is your plan going forward?
What kind of pain do you actually have? I am truly so sorry.... I honestly know how you feel, as I have endured 3 years from hell over this. When I let myself brood over it (not a good thing to do BTW), it makes me so angry that I have lost so much time and energy dealing with this. It overtakes your life sometimes. Some people have such a smooth recovery and others, go to the depths and beyond. I am coming to find, that it's not that simple.. and knee surgeries are so variable and seem to have such different recovery outcomes for different people.

Just call the doc's office and ask to speak to the nurse. Tell her that you forgot the name of the implant he was going to use and she will tell you that info. Then You can look up that implant and find out if you like it. If not, then you would need to find another surgeon. Most of us find that a surgeon who does only knees is more of an expert that someone who does general orthopedics.

e Even though everyone says "nothing is wrong with it" Does anyone recommend converting it to a total?
No, the xray fine, case closed.

My original offered nothing at all.

Second opinion number 1, at 15 months post op, put me on gabapentin, which gave me unacceptable side effects, so I stopped it. He did not offer me a Plan B.

Second opinion number 2 sent me for a blood test to check for infection and/or inflammation, which there was none. He casually mentioned checking in with a neurologist but I have chosen not to. I don’t think all my problems are due to a nerve issue. I personally believe my implant is loose. I won’t be convinced it’s not until I get a bone scan, at the very least, and no one will order it.

My husband is having some medical issues, so right now our focus is on him. We can’t both be heading for major surgery at the same time. My leg is manageable so I’ve put it on hold, since no doctor sees an issue that needs to be fixed. My pain is more in the category of annoying discomfort. I don’t have a limp, I’m just slow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom