THR Diary of my journey to happy times

All very nutritious...horrible sounding, but nutritious!:)
Liver and prunes...who could ask for anything more:heehee:

But joking aside, your body could use the great iron and additional good stuff you are putting in there too heal.
I'm proud you are doing so well @Klassy :friends:
But...um...
Please don't invite me for dinner:beg:

Go Klassy!!!! You’re rocking girl!!!
Yea clotted cream (think ice cream and butter blended). Can be ordered on Amazon.
Marmite...nope... I’ll pass. Not my cup of tea. Crumpets on the other hand... I could easily acquire a taste for.... My ultimate English downfall...fish and chips. Now you English know how to really make them good. Dang... wish they weren’t 5000 miles away :0

I will never understand Vegemite or Marmite, but to each his own!! We eat some weird stuff in America too. I had raw scallops with kiwi and black garlic for dinner—normal fusion sushi fare!!

Glad your recovery is going so well. Before you know it, you’ll be dancing around that jar of Vegemite!!

@Klassy the shower story made me laugh! Not surprised you were tired after all that mopping up. You could incorporate it into your indoor exercise routine along to the soundtrack of “Carwash”!

Mmmmmm! Hot crumpets with butter and marmite or boiled egg with marmite soldiers. Heaven!

Pub last night had sold out of liver so I had chicken supreme with a Hungarian sauce of cream and lots of paprika on mashed potatoes with sage. The manager is Hungarian and the chef knows his stuff. Yummy! Perfect winter comfort food.

Night 25/ Day 26. Well I spoke a bit too soon about avoiding ODIC. I became a member of the extra exclusive Shower-Related ODIC. I’m hoping it is only a one day membership. Last night I had a stabbing pain around the area of my incision. Not a very bad pain, but new. Previously any pain has been a dull ache, and disappeared as soon as I lay flat. This was worse on walking, but was still there to some extent while lying down. I used the last 2 codeine (darn it, had all week to see about a further prescription, but didn’t, and have now run out just as the doc shuts down for the weekend). That got me through the night fine, and today I have managed the pain with co codamol and lots of icing and lying flat. I’ve limited myself to short walks only. Lesson learnt!

Nice thing today was an unexpected visitor, actually my first visitor at home. I kept my impending surgery quiet from most of my social circle, and don’t have family nearby, so it’s just been me and H since the op. But word has got around. Anyway this friend’s timing was excellent because I was ready for a chat, plus although I may have been overdoing it a bit, my efforts at least meant I had clean hair and the house is not quite as untidy as it has been so that there was actually somewhere for him to sit. I was also fully dressed, not a given recently!

Ugh! Marmite soldiers....what is it? Wait, not sure if I want to know. Marmite sounds so nasty.
Liver sold out....Woohoo! :happydance:
Now the chicken Supreme sounds good and I agree....comfort food. It's the best on cold Winter days @SurreyGirl
Sorry for the derail @Klassy

Klassy, I'm so sorry you're still in the ODIC after the all the activity surrounding the shower. I hope it's eased throughout the day and resolves with a night of sleep and another day of rest. I'm happy you enjoyed the unexpected visitor. Hopefully the visit was enough of a distraction that the pain took a back seat.
Let us know how the Saturday overnight goes / went.
Wishing you lots of comfort. :console2:

Oops, I asked about your recovery on my thread. Didn’t realize you were the same person!! Glad you’re doing so well so soon.

Oops from me too @otisbeagle, cos I’ve just been on your thread replying about my recovery, hope that wasn’t a derailment!

@Layla, your message was funny and kind, no derailment there.

I had a good night, but was awake from 4am to 5.30 am, unlike the previous few nights when I’d been sleeping really well. It may have been a rebound from the drowsiness induced by the codeine in the co codamol I’d taken during the day, or because I’d done so little all day. I wasn’t miserable though. I lay there counting my blessings: no pain, no restless legs, no Ted stockings, no requirement to jab myself in the tummy, room temperature just right, no noise, no need to get up at any particular time in the morning. I tried mentally dressing each blessing in a little lambswool outfit and making them jump over an imaginary fence, but that didn’t work either. I don’t know who came up with that rubbish about counting sheep. In the end I took 2 co codamol for their soporific value and that fixed it.

I’m still going to take it easy today (no exercises) but find I can do my strolling to music with one crutch now.

Aww, so sweet. An attitude of gratitude, my favorite.
Leave it to, Klassy, to try and wrap her blessings in sheeps clothing to jump the fence. You crack me up! :heehee:
Hope the remainder of your day is peaceful and relaxing.
@Klassy

Klassy, not a derailment at all!
Sorry about your cruddy night. I was up in the middle of the night as well (with a strange dream about mountain lions on the freeway??). Pharmaceuticals like codeine can definitely mess with your sleep patterns—positively or negatively. Sounds like you’re generally sleeping pretty well for having had surgery recently. I found that my sleep improved greatly once I could easily turn from side to side (within the last few weeks).

Have a great day!! It seems like you’re over the big hump now, and things will start to improve greatly soon.

End of Day 27 and I feel a little bit low, to be honest. Is this the normal time to have a slump? I had no energy and spent most of the day lying flat. If I sat my hip twinged and I couldn’t get comfortable.

I think part of the problem is I haven’t been outdoors for 4 days. I had 2 days of wanting to clear my admin task, which I’ve done. Then H has suddenly got motivated to get on with a repair job outside. It has needed doing forever so I hardly want to discourage him, but I am still very dependent on him. I can’t for example put on my socks and shoes without his help, so today when I might have gone outside it seemed too hard. I guess I ought to grow up and order a sock putter onner thingie from Amazon.

Anyway, tomorrow I’m going outside, no matter what!

And on a more positive note, during the rather shorter indoor walks I did today, my phone actually deigned to count about 80% of my steps (up from 0% a few days ago). I think that previously I was moving so slowly it didn’t notice I was moving at all!

Aww, I'm sorry you're feeling down :console2:

Yes! I think it's a normal time to feel low at one month post op. You're coming along, but not as quickly as you want to. You're bored, recovery starts feeling old. You tire easily because your body is using all of its energy to heal, not leaving you a lot of energy for all of the other activities of daily living which can feel frustrating.

YES, order the sock assistive device, you'll feel less dependent and you can give it away afterward, or keep it in the event you need your other hip done one day. And you must get out no smell the roses, even if it's only for a car ride.

Hang in there, it will get better, I promise!
To brighter days :SUNsmile:
@Klassy

End of Day 27 and I feel a little bit low, to be honest. Is this the normal time to have a slump?
Yup - right on schedule. I call this phase the one month slump! You have seen massive progress and then it all seems to slow to a crawl. The truth is there is still tons of healing going on. This is the bit where patience is definitely needed. Hang in there - I predict you will see significant changes between now and about 6 weeks out.

Aww, thanks Layla and Jaycey. Your reassurance means so much.

Night 27, got to sleep ok and woke up bang on 4.00 am again. But this time I didn’t hang about, popped 2 co codamol and went out like a light, slept through to 9.30. The dosage of codeine is only 16 mg so I suspect the placebo effect was in play, but that’s fine. Placebos are the new wonder drug.

@Layla, you are right as always. My sock aid order is in. I’ve also rigged up my own method for fastening my Velcro shoes, which I hope is going to work. We’re just waiting for a load of washing to finish then we’ll be off for a little adventure, so that I will have something to report for Day 28. Something good I hope!

And in the spirit of recording improvements, I can now lie comfortably on my back with my heels drawn up so knees are bent. This feels good for my back, but until the last couple of days it stirred up a bruised feeling at the back of my operated leg just above the knee. There was no bruising visible but I suspect that someone might have poked a thumb in there while they were taking me apart and reassembling me around my shiny new hip.

Hanging in there!

You're welcome, Klassy :)
Woohoo for sleep :yay: It's awesome to read you had a good overnight.
If your idea for fastening Velcro shoes works you'll have to share.
We all learn many helpful hints here from others.

I'm happy you're getting out of the house today. It will boost your mood and put a dent in the day.
Recovery days can drag on at times. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.

I experienced some actual bruising in my knee area a couple weeks into recovery, along with some of the discomfort or sensitivity you're describing. I was told by my OS's PA that it can take time for some of the fluid to move down to the next joint. From hip to knee. :shrug: I'd ice it along with anything else you're icing and I'm sure it will ease. I think you're doing great.

I hope your day is a good one!
@Klassy

My outing went well, though didn’t entirely follow the script. Plan was, H drives us to nearby posh furniture shop, we walk up stairs, visit their cafe and either walk down stairs or take lift. All so I can practise stairs.

First part went to plan. Lovely wide easy stairs. But then H suggested I try out one of the chairs on display upstairs. That of course signalled a salesperson to swoop. Before I knew it I was trying out recliners. I don’t think I even knew what a recliner was before discovering Bonesmart, but after reading on here how some folk even sleep in one, I was receptive. The lady was very helpful, but the price -eek! - plus where it would fit, the colour, which one... and finally the 12 weeks to wait for delivery, ended in no sale. I did learn something useful, though probably already well known to Bonesmarties, that if you get the motorised model, a THR qualifies it as a disability aid and you get the VAT off, which covers cost of motor.

Next part also to plan, in fact better, as the cafe actually served meals, not just coffee and cake as I expected, and by now it was lunch time. Strangely there was no liver on the menu, so I had to make do with goulash. Delicious! As was the garlic bread on the side.

Now we were off script again, because my hands, and therefore crutches, were too greasy from garlic butter to make me feel safe about taking stairs down, and the toilets were downstairs. Memo to self, carry wipes! So we took the lift and I had a wash. Now we could have taken the lift back up, but then we spotted a chair on the ground floor level that looked just right. So I tried it and it wasn’t quite right. But now we had another salesperson and I ended up trying about 20 different chairs. It was all very informative, apparently a chair has to fit you like clothing, and this fellow was very good at picking out what would fit me. Trouble was I always preferred the look of the ones that didn’t fit. Just like clothing in fact!

By the end of all that manoeuvring round the store and getting in and out of chairs I was exhausted, so we never did do the stairs down. But there were quite a few ramps and pairs of steps to negotiate even staying on the ground floor, so it was a good workout.

Trouble is, we were planning to make the cafe a regular destination for my stair training, particularly as the store is within walking distance once I build up to it. But how can I face those helpful sales people again?

I went to John Lewis regularly for stair training as it is close. But staff seeing me with my stick kept on trying to be helpful by directing me to the lifts.....

:loll:@HertsHippy , that happened too!

Did you have the nerve to tell them the truth?

Sounds like you had a nice outing, Klassy.
Lots of different chairs to sit in, reminds me of Goldilocks. This one is too hard, this one is too soft, this one is just right! :yay: I wouldn't consider a recliner either if I had to wait 12 weeks, you could use it now, not three months from now. I guess if it's a comfy chair you'd still use it. But with all the decisions....where to put it, what color, motorized or not, it's a big decision. I did get one last minute and loved it, but there was discussion beforehand about where we'd store it after a few months because it was in a makeshift place in the living room. I'm sure one day I will need my other hip done so it doesn't feel like a waste and I've already borrowed it to two family members. A THR and TKR. Hey, I'll borrow you mine, Klassy :wink:

Sounds like you had a nice lunch. No liver....again, Woohoo! Goulash and garlic bread sounds so much yummier. You had quite the workout today. Looks like you may need to find another staircase to practice on.
Hope you have a nice Tuesday!
@Klassy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom