• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Decisions, Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsearching

I am scheduled for THP in two weeks. First my OS recommended highly crosslinked polyethylene liner with a metal ball. In my research of all materials, I came to believe that the small particles from the polyethylene wear have a higher chance to cause my body to have bone loss than a ceramic on ceramic joint. I am very active and need something that wears well (ceramic and highly crosslinked poly wear approximately the same.) I was cautioned about the .5% "squeaking" rate of the ceramic on ceramic. (I ruled out the metal on metal because of the high metal ions and the unknown risk they present to kidneys or other body functioning. I have had reactions to metal from dental work in the past also.) So my question to all you folks who have had the THP already is how you are doing regarding wear and bone loss, and activity too. (I just love that there is forum to even discuss this.)

I am scheduled for a THR March 6 and am going through the same desions, my OS had told me in the past that he won't use ceramic because of the chance of cracking, nor will he use metal on metal, not sure of the reasoning. He uses Titanium base and I think he uses different inserts for different activity levels. I have another appointment on Feb. 14th.

He won't do the "resurfacing" due to they had tried that same procedure about 20 years ago and they just don't hold up. Guess I have to believe him as he is rated one of the top surgeons in the state. Hopefully it's not the case of the best salesman wins out on the parts that the doctor uses!

I will be more active afterwards than I am now I'm sure, but it's still a scary decision.

Hope all goes well for you! I have read good and bad on the site here but have to believe that if you have a good OS it makes all the difference.

Don

I read "Hipsearching's" comments on particles from highly cross-linked polyethylene parts. There is a new procedure used on the poly that virtually eliminates any particles. The material is irradiated. I found an article somewhere on the web about it, and I asked my surgeon. Even though this is pretty new, the poly parts are almost all treated this way. The reason my surgeon is sticking with the poly is that it allows him to use a larger ball which is much more stable and better for anyone who wants to return to a fairly active life. There is a lot of information out there on the web about all of this. I suggest you start with https://www.webMD.com It's good to be well-informed when you're making such a big decision!

Good luck.

Judy

I appreciate your reply and the thoughtfulness behind it. I decided to stick with the ceramic on ceramic. I do not think there is much difference in the cross linked poly and the ceramic to date. I talked to my surgeon about it again before my operation and he was supportive of my choice and my reasons. I had the surgery on Tuesday, Jan 16 and came home last night, Jan 18. I am now into my rehab. I am tired from the two hectic days there (actually 3 days and two nights). But I am home now. In a future posting I will talk about what I did that I believe made the healing easier. I have taken no painkiller of any kind post surgery, nor felt a need to. I will get back to this later. I am so excited to being in the recovery stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom