TKR Day 3 Post-op - good news!

Davestic

Country
United States United States
Very relieved and happy to report a "good news" story 3 days after surgery.

My surgeon uses a robotic assist called ROSA and Im super impressed with the results. The robot uses computer alignment to dial the specific placements of the implants, surgical cuts etc., to hopefully shorten the recovery time.

Today my pain is at a level 1 just taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol. Leg straightens fully and has 77 degrees thus far in contraction. I have additional strengthening and PT to follow but thus far I am feeling blessed. Only weird day was yesterday when the heavy surgical meds wore off. Today my head is clear and I feel good. Definitely less knee pain than I had pre procedure.

Best wishes to all of you on the "other side" of surgery!

LTKR 3/19/24

Hi and Welcome!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Davestic. So glad you found us.

Happy to read that your pain is under control. But don't be surprised if your pain level goes up in the coming days. This recovery can be a roller coaster ride! I encourage you to read the articles Jockette shared above. The information was a big help for me in my recoveries.

Keep us posted. We are here to help!

Hi @Davestic , hope you’re doing well.
I also had ROSA. My first tkr was 2 years ago and the knee is perfect now.
I am 3.5 weeks post op now with second knee and fully expect fantastic results on this side too.
I don’t really think ROSA shortens recovery time; my surgeon says it doesn’t but it gives more accuracy. We are lucky to have such advanced technology in surgery aren’t we.

Hi @Davestic , hope you’re doing well.
I also had ROSA. My first tkr was 2 years ago and the knee is perfect now.
I am 3.5 weeks post op now with second knee and fully expect fantastic results on this side too.
I don’t really think ROSA shortens recovery time; my surgeon says it doesn’t but it gives more accuracy. We are lucky to have such advanced technology in surgery aren’t we.
Congrats Kiwicurls!! In full disclosure my surgeon did not tout the benefits of ROSA. I learned after surgery that it was even used. I was curious and started to read up on it and in their marketing materials is where I learned of the supposed benefits. If nothing more a little positive mental programming cant hurt :).

Today is day 5 post op and my second day off narcotics, pain at a 1-2 level. Getting around on a walker fine and up 20 steps to the second floor shower daily. (Up with the good and down with the bad). Still working on gaining strength and flexibility on my new knee but already noticing the lack of arthritic pain...just recovery discomfort as things heal. My biggest frustration is my stamina. I feel like I did an intense road cycling event after climbing the stairs to shower lol.

I am blessed with great PT coming to my 3X weekly for the first 2 weeks then off-site starting week 3.

Last edited:
My biggest frustration is my stamina. I feel like I did an intense road cycling event after climbing the stairs to shower lol.
That fatigue is completely normal. Your body has been through major surgery and now is using all of your energy for recovery.

This article puts it in perspective (you need to scroll down to the second post);

Energy drain for TKRs

Today is day 9 post op and things are going well. I can get my operative leg to flat and flex it to 81 degrees which means a lot to my PT, lol. I am happy to be able to handle all of my ADL's at this point and am down to one crutch - it's really nice to have that free hand back!

Fatigue is still an issue. My sleep patterns are off and knee pain seems to rear its ugly head to a level 7 between midnight to 2am. Intermittent sleep before that, then taking an Oxy (sometimes two). After that I can actually fall asleep for a few hours. Not a big fan of the meds but nighttime is the only time I really need them.

I hope all of you on this path have a great day today!

Fatigue will be present for weeks - it really takes not just time, but on a cellular level a lot of energy, to heal. When the outright fatigue lifts and you're more active, it will transition to low stamina for a while.

Problems with sleep, even with good pain control, are also really common for weeks. My primary suggestion is to take an oxy an hour before going to bed so the blood level starts to ramp up before you're asleep.

I can get my operative leg to flat and flex it to 81 degrees which means a lot to my PT
That's great -- but please remember: This is your knee and your recovery. It is not your job to make your therapist happy. The only one you need to make happy is you.

That new knee needs time to heal from the trauma of surgery, so don't push yourself -- or let you PT push you -- into pain. At 9 days post-op, you are very early days in this year-long recovery. You have lots of time to regain range of motion.

I can get my operative leg to flat and flex it to 81 degrees which means a lot to my PT
That's great -- but please remember: This is your knee and your recovery. It is not your job to make your therapist happy. The only one you need to make happy is you.

That new knee needs time to heal from the trauma of surgery, so don't push yourself -- or let you PT push you -- into pain. At 9 days post-op, you are very early days in this year-long recovery. You have lots of time to regain range of motion.
:) Thank you for that. I do laugh a little about this. My priorities - getting back to full functioning / movement and the "guide" these folks must work under to gauge performance.

Happy Friday and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling stronger and steadier on your feet little by little.
With any luck sleep has improved also. :fingersx:
A great weekend to you!
@Davestic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back