Cortisone injection

Well, I had the injection this morning... it was very painful but not unbearable and if it gives me relief for a while it will have been worth it. The doctor said that in the past six months he has been asked to do dozens of the injections whereas before that he only had to do a few now and then. He thinks it must be some sort of new trend in the medical profession. My leg will feel numb for about 8 hours and the steroid might take a few days to work. Home now and planning on a quiet afternoon knitting.

The doctor said that in the past six months he has been asked to do dozens of the injections
Unfortunately the "trend" is all about money. For some injections delay surgery - thus the cost occurs later.

Do rest today. I really hope this buys you a bit of time.

That is exactly what my hubby and I said. It really isn't a money saving option as it just puts off the operation.

It really isn't a money saving option as it just puts off the operation.
Very true but NHS finance departments can't seem to get to grips with this. Putting off surgery just means more appointments are needed. Then there are the complications of waiting too long for surgery that can impact other areas.

It's all over the news again today - NHS wait times are at a record high and winter has only just kicked in!

I hope the injection eased your pain.
Have a good day @Fairydell :tada:

Thanks @Mojo333. I had the best full night sleep I have had in a very long time. There's a bit of a dull ache in my groin and I'm trying not to take painkillers today. The doc said I might need them for a couple of days till the steroid starts to kick in properly but if I can do without then I won't bother. Other than a bit of an ache though I have no real pain. I feel like a different person. Hoping that it lasts till at least after Christmas

:happydance: I hope so too!
Sleep is so important for our sanity.
I was desperate for a few consecutive hours with no pain.
Very happy injection is helping.

Another really good sleep. Just been for a walk but didn't want to overdo it. My hip is aching a bit today so might need pain killers if it gets any worse. I was told that it could happen so not overly concerned. Slightly worried that it's all clicking and grating quite alarmingly. Hope the steroid isn't just masking the problem... which is what my doctor thinks they do. He says that pain is there to tell you to take it easy. If you mask that pain then you are possibly going to suffer in the long run.

@Fairydell Just checking to see how you are feeling post injection? Any improvement?:fingersx:

hi @Jaycey I feel like a different person. I have virtually no pain and am sleeping like a top... I have slept better these past few days than I have in years. I am hoping against hope that it lasts.

Wow - such good news! There is no predicting how anyone will react to these injections. I remember my first spinal injection. I had several months of pain free living. I so hope this lasts for you!

Thanks Jaycey. I may have spoken too soon and am hoping today is just an off day. I didn't sleep very well last night.. not that I was in constant pain but I did get a few nasty twinges which kept waking me. I have been for a good walk today but might have been a bit ambitious. My hip is grating and clicking like mad and although I can't say I am in serious pain I'm certainly not very comfortable.

Hi; here is my experience.

I had cortisone injections in both hips and was not allowed to have the surgery, which I had committed to, for six weeks following the last injection.

For me, the injections were more traumatic than the surgery. They really help some people though; I hope they can tide you over.

I had a RTHR 7/30 and LTHR 9/17, 7 weeks to the day later. Best decision I ever made. I opted for the spinal and remember nothing. The pain during recovery was not bad, more with the second hip (every healing is different).

I am still waking up sore during the night, sometimes only once, but I am also walking unaided with big strides and a straight back and have little to no discomfort during the day. Remembering the constant inflamed feeling in my hips when they were arthritic, how easily I became exhausted, I am astounded at the difference now.

Good luck to you!

My hip is grating and clicking like mad
Please don't push this hip. I does sound like it is bone on bone. Avoid excessive activity and don't push or lift anything too heavy. You run the risk of a collapse if you put too much stress on a bad hip.

I think I learned my lesson today. I will baby this hip like its a newborn from now on. I know the surgeon won't operate within three months of the injection. I have an appointment with him in February. Hopefully I will be ok till then.

I will baby this hip like its a newborn from now on.
Sorry if I alarmed you. But I have been where you are. The injection doesn't mean you can use your hip as "normal". It just eases the pain. It allows you mobility but under the false assumption that the bad hip can take normal activity. Baby that hip and it may be there for you until February and in the run up to surgery.

Thanks @Jaycey... I had assumed that after having the injection I would go back to pre hip pain time and be able to resume my life as it was before.. I may have misunderstood what the surgeon said. I love this forum, it's so helpful and informative

Unfortunately the injection does not "repair" any damage that occurs as a result of arthritis. It may mask the pain from that damage.

I had an uncomfortable day yesterday followed by a dreadful night. Got up this morning and I have no pain at all.... not a bit. I don't understand how I can be in so much pain and then an hour later nothing. I saw the program on Placebo's relieving pain recently and wondered whether hypnotism might work on me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom