ConforMIS Communication Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUTCH

Country
United States United States
Hello. I am new to this forum; and have recently been diagnosed and recommended for a Partial Knee Replacement using a custom ConforMIS implant. ConforMIS states that the lead time for manufacture after a CT Scan is a minimum of 5 weeks.

I had my CT Scan this past Friday, 16 December. Yesterday, Wednesday, 21 December (3 business days after the CT Scan), my surgeon's office was advised by the ConforMIS Representative that my custom implant was finished; and they scheduled my surgery for 4 weeks from now.

I am extremely concerned about the contradictory advised 5 weeks minimum vs reported 3 days to complete the manufacture of my supposedly "custom" implant. It makes me wonder what I am getting. If the reported 3 day completion is in error, then my scheduled 4 week surgery date cannot be met.

Hopefully, my surgeon's office can get this confusion straightened out. At a minimum, this whole communication problem does not enhance my impression about or confidence in ConforMIS; and I have advised the surgeon to halt all further actions until this matter is cleared.

Anyone else have this kind of confusion from ConforMIS? Thoughts?

To be honest, I'm not sure where the concern comes from, the implant is done and ready. I'd be pleased, not worried.
Maybe they just pushed on and got it completed before the holidays.
I'd be more concerned about the choice of a partial instead of a full replacement . These seem to have a poor performance and often need replacement in 2 or 3 years.

Oh hi, Dutch. You found out where to post then? I just replied to your pm.

I'm with Tykey, I really can't see what your are uncomfortable with. This firm makes these devices day in and day out. If they give a cautious estimate of 5 weeks but get it completed sooner, then you should be pleased. They probably pushed it through because it was Christmas. No way does it mean you will be getting substandard products.

However, I would be more concerned about having a partial replacement as they do have an very high rate of early conversion to totals in a short period of time. Short in this case being considered as around two years. Have you had two or more other opinions? I think you really should as you don't want to have this only to end up having a revision in a couple of years. There are many surgeons that have given up doing partials for this reason.

You need to be assured that a) the arthritis is confined to the medial compartment b) there is no evidence of damage in either of the other compartments and c) this surgeon is in a position to and prepared to abandon the partial and do a total during the surgery if the need should become apparent. It's very often the case that the real state of affairs cannot really be seen until the knee is opened up and viewed. One simply cannot totally rely upon xrays and scans.

And finally, second opinions should, by definition, be totally independent of your current surgeon. So you need to find people who are not in any way connected with him. You've already put this on hold - I strongly suggest you use the time the get at least two other opinions.

Thanks all. Turns out the miscommunication/misunderstanding was with the surgeon's scheduler.

I'll keep folks posted as we proceed. Thanks again for the responses.

Hi Dutch,
I just had the opposite experience with conforms, my implant took almost 13 weeks as engineer & OS were communicating back & forth. I was actually worried I wouldn't be a candidate it was taking so long! I just had my surgery 12/13 and am on the mend. Just a note to others posting about PKR versus TKR. The conforms implant is rather unique in that it is less invasive and minimal bone needs to be cut as compared to traditional partials & totals; in addition a few holes are drilled in the bone as compared to the more traditional large metal stem implanted. Although the Conformis implants are relatively new, their success rates are exceptional. In my case, I have absolutely no osteoarthritis in my lateral compartment and am on the younger side. My relatives have mostly lived into their 90's. I've never heard a surgeon answer how many knee replacements one could theoretically undergo. I had an iDuo-2 implanted and feel this was the best option for me. In addition, I am still a candidate for a traditional TKR should the need arise. I'm just hoping the science continues to advance quicker than the progression of my osteoarthritis.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted. This forum has a wealth of very useful information, knowledgeable clinicians as well as supportive friends!

Hi swmiller

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm scheduled for the 31st of January.

Because my build of the implant seemed so short, I had a long discussion with the ConforMIS rep about this. He indicated that their lead times had been reduced recently, and that mine would be ready to ship about 4 weeks after the CT Scan.

I must admit I did not ask many questions of the surgeon, and am going along with his recommendation. He came highly recommended by a friend who is an OR Nurse (the best kind of recommendation for a doc in my opinion) and has worked with him in the operating theatre. He is the Senior Orthopedic Surgeon at Regional Medical Center and is Chief of Orthopedics. With that kind of recommendation and those creds I have to put a little trust in him.

Merry Christmas!

Well, I have always said that if an experienced OR nurse recommends someone you can take it to the bank because we see all the bad as well as all the good! All the best anyway.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_christmass.jpg

Couple that OR nurse's working recommendation with the fact that her husband is having a knee done by the same surgeon in January, does inspire a fair degree of confidence in that surgeon's skill.:yes 4:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom