• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR ChrissW's recovery thread

Hi Chrissy, At 3 weeks, I just started feeling a bit more alive, not napping as much. I felt up to going out for dinner and had a trip to the mall but pushed in a wheelchair. Started walking the distance of about 100 steps outside. But really just go at your own pace. There were a bunch of us all within a few days here and it was noticeable how different we all were in our recovery and still are.

@Hoppy Nanny strange isn't it with the injections as you're right, sometimes it stings other times it doesn't. My husband is more squeamish than me so I do my own but absolutely dread that time each day! I've been using sudocrem as its all I had in for the sore bot but not sure if it's making any difference. I keep telling myself that I will eventually find a relatively comfy position! When, who knows, but I will! :giggle:

My hubby used to call himself the ‘grim reaper’ every night coming in with the injection... I think he quite enjoyed it!! Especially if I had been extra demanding that day [emoji23][emoji23]

Think any cream does the trick @ChrissyW but rest assured it only lasts for a short while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the injections for four weeks followed by aspirin for four weeks. My recovery has been blighted by the nerve damage. The surgeon damaged the femoral nerve in my leg and I am suffering agonizing nerve pains. Nothing touches it and it keeps me awake for hours on end.

Good Morning :wave:
I didn't have injections myself, my surgeon prescribed a daily aspirin dose for 30 days.
Blood clot prevention varies across the board, just as restrictions, TED's, driving etc.
Each surgeon has their own protocol. I do know that the advantage of aspirin or injections is there is no need for monitoring through blood tests. Sorry you're finding it uncomfortable, hopefully the time you have left for daily injections passes quickly.
A great weekend to you!
@ChrissyW

So I am really pleased with myself this afternoon, I've finally managed to get out the front door, have a short walk and the step back in to the house.ni never realised I lived on an incline but I do however the sense of achievement is fab and I just had to share. Hope everyone else has a positive, proud moment today. Sharing positive vibes with you all :loveshwr::SUNsmile:

Happy Saturday, Chrissy :hi:
You should be pleased with yourself. That's awesome you got out for a little walk and some fresh air.
Something to look forward to building on.
I hope you have a great evening and a nice Sunday.
@ChrissyW

That’s great!!! Celebrate all accomplishments, no matter how small.

I get what you say about inclines. My driveway is at the slightest slightest incline but walking back up it feels like Mt Everest! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Just another question. I keep getting what I can only describe as thigh cramps. They feel like when you tighten your muscles do do butt clenching/ thigh squeezes but since surgery they tend to happen when I start to stand up, lasting a couple if scones and I quickly walk them off. However today they have been longer and thus evening, for the last our it has been pretty constant, just feeling like I need to shake my leg(which I know I can't and wouldn't even try) Is thus just part of normal healing? Thanks
Chris

Hi @ChrissyW absolutely normal. I was driving a 2 hour trip on Saturday and I got these very weird zaps! across the top of my thigh...I did not want that to happen again!!! I stopped twisting in my chair and they didn't come back. HTH

Some members do get cramps and spasms and they are considered normal, but surely an annoyance depending upon frequency and duration. A consideration and something many try is Magnesium -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you a peaceful evening and a good night's sleep :yawn: :sleep:
@ChrissyW

I had these spasms in the first 2 weeks. My OS gave me a muscle relaxer. Not sure I needed it, but I think it helped, especially at night.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

For me the tightness/cramping was helped a lot by laying a ice pack along the top and another along the outside of my thigh. (actually, I ice my thigh maybe more than my tush!) Also just try a little tour of the house to loosen up those muscles using your heel/toe movement. I also had the zaps and zings - almost always in bed at night shortly after getting settled. There were times they were so intense I could have sworn I should be able to see my skin jump! None of this lasts very long; try to think of it as entertainment.
:giggle:

Thank you for your replies @Bfam85 , @Layla @JennyLynne and @Carriemay60 , feels really good being reassured that it's normal (though it doesn't feel normal at the time does it?)I struggled to describe the feeling to my husband as it is weird to say the least. Anyway, I did icing in bed to help the thigh along and did manage some sleep along the way so clearly it settled. At least now I know if it happens again. I was scared that, because when the spasms came my natural instinct felt like I wanted to shake my leg or screw myself into an odd shape that I'd accidentally do it without thinking but I'm glad my body is reacting more logically than my brain as it seems to be taking control, if you know what I mean.:beg:
Anyway, have a lovely day, I struggle to work out what time it is where everyone is, but enjoy whatever you are up to. It's 6.30 a, here, the sun is shining and I'm feeling positive so blessings everyone:flwrysmile::loveshwr:

I'm 6 weeks post recovery (posterior) and it bothers me that I still feel uncomfortable (I'm guessing my muscles around the area). Even lying in bed, I can't seem to find a comfortable position, and the discomfort varies (sometime in the lateral muscle or the front of the leg, or my back feels a little tight) - yet I can walk without a can for small distances altho I still use a can outdoors. Guess I won't be happy until everything feels normal again. I would not call this pain; but discomfort all around the area although I don't feel like anything is swollen.

I'm wondering if beginning to drive short distances has anything to do with it. I do not have a problem driving (gas to brake), but getting in/out of my car feels difficult. Am I doing something wrong? I don't think so, but I feel so cautious that I'm going to make things worse than they are.

You are not doing anything wrong @Trudijane that’s all par for the course... but it all wears off eventually. In a few months time you will forget you had it all done... honest!!! xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom