Finger/Thumb Carpometacarpal (CMC) Joint Treatment?

Sorry to hear the news. I will be thinking of you and hope your thumb starts to improve very soon.

Sorry for the late reply. Hope your thumb is progressing well and the antibiotics have worked. I am still having problems with my knee. Mum banged her head badly a few days ago and had to spend the night in hospital. She seems to have recovered now but it is hard to tell.

No actually. After giving me grief for a few months, it suddenly and completely cleared up!
Thereby proving what a surgeon I once worked back in the late 60s always used to say. He always held that there was a therapeutic value in a waiting list because once a patient thought they were going to get something done about their pain, they invariably got better whist waiting!

I saw my physio again yesterday. I hadn't seen him for three weeks and in that time things have improved dramatically. The pain is minimal now and my movement is almost up to what it should be, as is my hand grip. I just have to work on strengthening the thumb and first finger pincer grip, and thumb strength so that I'm able to push the button in on the handbrake in the car so that I can start driving again. He hopes that my next appointment in another three weeks time will be the last. His first grandson was born last week, four days before my latest granddaughter so there was lots of baby talk yesterday!

I have also been discharged by my surgeon so things are going well. Linda x

what a good report! I may be facing the same option. I am waiting for an appointment at the Yorkshire Clinic.

I had my surgery at The Yorkshire Clinic. Ms Beyermann was my surgeon. I've just posted on your thread! Linda x

Having had a successful trapeziectomy 15 months ago, arthritis has struck once more and the next thumb joint up has now collapsed into my palm. Once again I have little strength in my thumb, and holding things and pressing buttons is very painful. So I've been referred back to the hand surgeon and am waiting for an appointment to see what can be done this time. Hey ho! Linda X

@Coppernob My goodness you have had your fill of this hand stuff! Hope you can get this treated very soon. Please do keep us updated!

@Coppernob Sorry to hear about your thumb joint. What bad luck after your successful operation!

I hope you get some answers when you see the consultant.

My thumb is much the same but have been having a bit more pain with it and the other fingers on that hand are getting stiff and a bit swollen. So will probably end up having the trapeziectomy sooner rather than later.

Best wishes

@SuperSnapper I hope you don't mind me asking, but who was your hand surgeon at Yorkshire Clinic? My trapeziectomy was done by Ms Beyermann and I was hoping I would see her again, but today I've had a letter giving me an appointment on Aug 25 with Mr Wray. I've not heard of him before. I rang to see if I could have it changed to Ms Beyermann but apparently she no longer works at YC so the answer is no! Linda x

@Coppernob My carpal tunnel was done by Mr Wray. He also did my friends carpal tunnel which was fine. Not much bedside manner, about 50ish, but perfectly fine and professional. He's the one who says he will do my trapeziectomy if I decide to go ahead which I think I will. How's the thumb feeling? My hands are dodgy but coping at the moment.

Well I saw the hand man this afternoon and have come home feeling somewhat shell-shocked.

After moving my thumb joint in all sorts of directions that it didn't want to go and then sending me for an x-ray, his diagnosis was that there is some arthritis in the joint but that isn't the main problem. It's rather that the ligaments have stretched and so are no longer holding the joint in position. He said that the only treatment for this is to have the thumb joint fused, but his advice was for this not to happen yet, but to see how it goes.

So for now I go on living with the pain and weakness, but he did say I could be referred back to him at anytime - be it 6 months, 5 years or never. Not quite what I was hoping for but do I really want a thumb fusion? Tonight I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Linda x

@Coppernob Hi Linda, Sorry to hear that news. Have you thought of a second opinion as you are so unsure of which way to go?

Thanks SuperSnapper. I'm seeing my GP again in a couple of weeks so will talk about with him. Have you reached a decision about a trapeziectomy yet? Linda X

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member