THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandy_candi

senior
Country
Australia Australia
It's the day before my first hip surgery so I thought I would get a head start on my recovery thread. I have had a few little freak out moments but have been keeping busy to keep distracted. Off for coffee and wandering at Some local shops with my sisters today. Husband was annoyed at me spending money but I need to distract myself so it's money well spent in my eyes.
1 day, 2 hours, 6 mins until admission time! Best of luck to my other June Sunbeams!

Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)

All of my best wishes to you for your surgery! Glad you are ignoring your grouchy husband. I wonder what he'd be doing the day before hip replacement. It's a big, big deal! Distract yourself as much as possible, as it's a good strategy!

Oh I have been thinking of you lots today hoping that you are going ok!! Sorry - I posted on your other thread...

Rest and put that brand new hip up. Lots of thoughts and healing energy being sent your way!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hoping all is well and you'll soon be here telling us all how fantastic you feel!

Hope your first shiny new hip is in place and you are doing well!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.

Anxiously waiting to hear from you. I'll post your recovery articles here now so you will have them to hand right from the start:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Wooooohoooooo! Prayers and Positive Thoughts are on their way! Looking forward to seeing you soon!! xoxo

you will be fine i am sure, I was terrified and six weeks on am actually looking forward to the next one, well the results anyway. Take the meds, you won't need them for long so take whatever you need, don't overdo it and rest when you can. I painted my toenails today!! not very well admittedly and hubz will have to go round my toes with the remover but what an achievement and hey you will be there before long too. Good luck :happydance:

Hope your surgery went well yesterday. Rest up and take it easy. Your body has a lot of recovering to do. I hope your husband is supportive when you arrive home from hospital and don't be in a hurry go home. Hospital is one place where you can be waited on hand and foot giving you a chance to take it easy.

Good on you girl for having a bit of a spending spree to distract you before your surgery. I am sure you were sensible with blowing the family budget. Your husband needs to chill out a little. I bet he would spend up if he wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! Sorry for the radio silence! I am on the other side and so glad to be here. It's almost the end of day 1 post op. I will start my post at the day before surgery- thoroughly enjoyed my day out with my sisters - both came and we haven't been out together in many years. Always busy with work and my sister has 4kids under 8 so she has her hands full. We had a lovely lunch and they paid for me- but I did the silliest thing! We were just talking about mobile phones and how I'd never dropped mine and broken the screen and I went to the bathroom and my phone was in my back pocket and it fell into the toilet!!! I pulled it out with a scream and turned it off straight away. My sister looked it up and said to put it in a bag of rice to soak out the water. So that is why I haven't posted. I was kind of glad I didn't have my phone so I just spent time with my hubby with no distractions. It won't turn back on so hubby gave our iPad to my mum and she dropped it off today.

Day of surgery- day 0
I didn't sleep very well the night before so was up at 6am with hubby and we left home at 7:45. My mum drove down too. I got in a little earlier than admission time and was taken straight to my room and given a gown. A young nurse took some medical details. I was sent downstairs for an X-ray and the nurse kept coming back in and asking more questions. The anaesthetist came in and asked some health questions and advised he would do a spinal and light general. I was happy with this option. My physio came in and advised what she would be going through with me. Just some deep breathing exercises and moving my feet up and back. I didn't end up going down to the holding bay until12 noon. I was there for about 45 mins and had one of those heat blankets where they blow hot air into it. So cool. Two nurses asked me the same questions and said i would be sick of answering all of these questions. My surgeon came in and asked some different ones and checked ROM. He asked if everyone had been asking if I was having a scope because of my age! All the nurses and staff were lovely. I was then taken into the recovery area and had my IV put in and had some sleepy meds out in there and I was out! And then the next thing o knee i had woken up in recovery with a pretty big headache. I was there for a bit until that was under control and headed back to my room at about 3.30pm. Had a few tears when I got back. I don't know if it was the relief that it was over or just a bit of fear of the pain and what was to come. I had the booties on to prevent DVT that puff up and activate your muscles and I found them good as it just kept some movement flowing. I couldnt feel the right one for ages and was so excited to start feeling that one on my foot! My surgeon dropped In and said it all went well and he was happy with the results. Hubby and mum left at around 5 and I was getting pretty tired. I got some food around 5.30 and it was nice- just some soup and toast. I fell asleep for a little while and then hubby called and he was almost home. Poor thing got stuck In traffic and took him 2 hours to make the trip that normally takes 1 hour and 15 mins. I had a room phone as I didn't have my mobile and he could ring it directly. I can't seem to call out though. I got up not long after that to go to the bathroom. I still had the effects of the spinal as the nurse checked my bladder with an ultrasound thing and it was still full! So I used a bedpan and felt much better. I was wide awake then so did some quilting and chatted with the nurses. Was just watching television and couldn't really sleep so I got to sleep around midnight. Oh and the nurse had put in antibiotics into a tube that was in my wound and said my surgeon would come do the same and remove the tube in the morning. So that's surgery day over! I was so glad I felt pretty good and had spinal so I didn't feel too sick. I will sign off now and write more later. Bit sleepy. Gotta check in on my other sunbeams!!! Hope everyone is well

Well done - sounds like you are doing great! So glad all went well. Catch up on your sleep and enjoy being cared for in a safe environment. You are on your way! :happydance:

Thanks @jacey and @JMACCA - I am so lucky and have had two plants as gifts- an orchid from my mum, Cyclamen from my husbands friends and a big box of cut flowers- roses, and lillies in various shades of pink

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 221
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member