Can my pre-op knee be damaged further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankR

Country
United States United States
Three weeks I was informed that I would need knee surgery. They said I would first need a sonagram of said knee before I could speak to a surgeon. The soonest I could have one is 5 more days away.
No one told me to stay off my feet so I've been using a walker to get around at home. I have so much pain that sometime I think my leg is going to fall off.
Is this to be expected? I know my leg won't fall off but it hurts so much I'd almost rather it did.
Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

A few days or a couple of months more isn't going to make much difference to your worn out knee joint. The pain you have to put up with until your probable TKR happens will not be that much fun. Sometimes the joint pain has some relief for awhile and then the pain may pick back up again. Here's hoping you have a successful outcome and many years of a pain free knee.

Hi, FrankR.....welcome to BoneSmart. You and I are practically neighbors here in the Kansas City area. Who is your surgeon (just curious)?

Interesting that your surgeon asked for a sonogram. I've not heard of that before. Usually just an xray is adequate before scheduling surgery. If you're in pain now, you're probably going to have to endure several weeks more of that before your surgery date. Are you taking anything for the pain?

It's not that you'll do anything horrible if you continue to walk on a very painful knee. You'll get the joint replaced with surgery. But it is possible to continue to wear down bones and make the surgery a bit more time consuming....nothing that the surgeon cannot handle, of course! And, of course, you want to go into surgery with the least amount of inflammation possible in your knee tissues. So, I advise you to continue using the walker and to try and stay off your knee as much as possible. Try icing for the pain as well as medications. Reducing pain will reduce inflammation.

Here's some pre-op information that might be interesting for you to read:

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi, i'm from michigan i had my tkr. on the 17th all i can tell you is ask any and every question you may have. See if there are real people who have had it done both by the surgen and the hospital. Make sure pain management is put in place before your surgery. Start by makeing lists of things you want to know then start adjusting that list when you get answers then add new ones as you go along. Remember thr only dumb question is one not asked.

Hi, FrankR.....welcome to BoneSmart. You and I are practically neighbors here in the Kansas City area. Who is your surgeon (just curious)?

Interesting that your surgeon asked for a sonogram. I've not heard of that before. Usually just an xray is adequate before scheduling surgery. If you're in pain now, you're probably going to have to endure several weeks more of that before your surgery date. Are you taking anything for the pain?

It's not that you'll do anything horrible if you continue to walk on a very painful knee. You'll get the joint replaced with surgery. But it is possible to continue to wear down bones and make the surgery a bit more time consuming....nothing that the surgeon cannot handle, of course! And, of course, you want to go into surgery with the least amount of inflammation possible in your knee tissues. So, I advise you to continue using the walker and to try and stay off your knee as much as possible. Try icing for the pain as well as medications. Reducing pain will reduce inflammation.

Here's some pre-op information that might be interesting for you to read:

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi Jamie,
You asked if I know my surgeon's name. Not yet I went to get what I thought was a was a sonogram today. Turns out it was a MRI. It took about a hour then they sent me home.
This Afternoon they called to tell me what I already knew. My knee joint is pretty badly damaged and would need to be replaced. Duh[emoji851]
They said that someone from the surgeon's office would call to set up the consult.
Typically how long does one have to wait for the surgery after the consult? I had to move in with sister a few years ago due to some other health issues. Her house floor plan is not conducive to wheelchair travel. I've been using a platform walker which helps me take some of the weight off of right knee but it still hurts pretty bad.
As soon as I hear about my consult I'll let you know who my surgeon is.
Thanks for all your help.

So it was your GP that suggested you needed a knee replacement then?

I'm really confused about the process you're going through. Normally, you select a surgeon and meet with them. They take xrays (and sometimes an MRI, although that's really not needed to make the diagnosis), then you schedule the surgery. Your case is the first time I've heard of someone else choosing the surgeon. You need to be careful with that as the choice of a surgeon is the most critical factor in a successful knee replacement.

By any chance are you working with the VA medical system? That's the only situation where I could see the process working this way. The length of time to surgery after meeting with the surgeon is usually 3-6 weeks. But it really depends on the doctor and hospital system. If you're working with a VA Hospital, it could be longer than that.

You do know you will not be in a wheelchair after surgery, right? You will be able to use a walker around the house at first and then graduate to crutches or a cane as you recover.

Jamie, just giving you an update on my surgeon's name. There are likely more than one Dr. Anderson but he is who I'm meeting on March 23rd.
I wish the consult were sooner. Some days my right knee hurts so bad I feel like going to the ER though I doubt that would help.

Actually this sounds fairly quick to me, though I'm sure it feels like an eternity. I think I had to wait 3 months to get an appointment with my surgeon after my referral. And then months after that b/c of my work schedule for the surgery. I was counting the days.

I'm sorry your knee hurts so much. You are wise to be using a walker or cane. Are you able to take Tylenol? 1,000 mg 3 times a day may help. And ice/cold packs.

I try to steer clear of OTC pain meds as I'm already on oxy for peripheral neuropathy. Thanks for your input

Yes, you're right. Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88