Bilateral TKR in January - I have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being nervous is normal. It is major surgery and a lot can go wrong. But most people don't get infections leading to amputation... They don't get PEs...they don't have major medical complications. If your surgeon and hospital has a good reputation then the probability of an uneventful surgery is on your side. Every time I started to freak myself out, I would remind myself that terrible things (like a major car accident) could happen at any time, but those things don't scare me out of living life, so possible complications shouldn't scare me out of surgery.

Did you see any of the Paralympics? A great number of those were ex-military folk who got bullets and shrapnel in various places and lost limbs as a result. It's common enough but their wounds were sustained in a defintely NOT sterile envronment, unlike you knee which will be done in a sterile operating theatre with everybody gowned and gloved and strict protocols of aseptic technique! You have nothing to worry about!

Kathi 777, I think this is a kind choice for your other half. My other half is as exhausted as I am after my staged TKR's in November. One thing I can assure you. My beloved will never again ask "what do you do all day" EVER!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Kathi 777, it's perfectly normal to be nervous. When you get that feeling ask yourself "if I don't do this, how will I feel 6 months from now? What other things I like to do will I be unable to do?" That helped me see that my surgeries were elective but without them I would be chairbound at some point in time. Ask your surgeon what his post op infection rate is. If he quickly answers that's a good sign. If he gets cranky or evasive you may want to investigate further.

@Red's Mom Infection rate for hospital and Dr were not issues. I personally know many people who he has worked on TKR and a bilateral. He is good, I just am anxious and yes I know in 3 months I will probably be doing things that I wished I could have done last summer! But it's just nerves... I will get there...

There are a lot of different treatments before amputating a leg due to infection. Check some of the threads with infection banners.

@KarriB no, please I am going to just pray all goes well and not think about it! Getting myself all upset over things that could happen is not productive . I need peace of mind going into this. thank you.

Good idea, chances of infection are slim and amputation slimmer. I never gave infection a thought and suggest you don't either.

@KarriB I am a nervous Nellie! It is needed but I could put it off! But I will not. I think I got this... just going to be hard being still.

After TKR I just didn't feel like doing much at all. I had very little energy and to be honest it hurt getting up and down for the first 2-3 weeks. Tell yourself you need to settle in because it's the best thing for your recovery.

so how soon will they have me dancing in the hall? i am scheduled for 830 arrival. prob surgery at 10? the thought was 4 hour surgery. so should be early in the day i wake up?

It all depends on the anesthesia, you'll be out a while longer with a General and awake earlier with a spinal.

All the best @Kathi 777 ! See you on the other side soon!

You will be fine. I was scared to death, I am in good shape now. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties