THR Bevelina's recovery

There's no timeline for being off assistive devices, if you need your crutches keep using them, better than falling. At only 6 weeks no sense rushing. Each recovery is as individual as we are.

Six weeks out.... the post-up blues descended upon me....
trying to be patient and get more confident that things really were going to be ok was a bit tough.

Recovery is Boooring:bored:
Good old Vitamin D therapy was also a boost for my spirit:SUNsmile:
Spring is springing full on here in my neck of the woods...
azaelas and dogwoods blooming and the birds and bees are gearing up for Easter.

Keep the faith, friend....

@Bevelina Eventually you will get to a place where having artificial hips feels just the same as having original equipment hips! It does take a while but it does come. LOL I even forgot my surgery date .... at year 12.

And the doddery feeling also goes away just keep walking. Stand as straight as you can and feel the solidness of the floor or ground under your feet. If you still need crutches ... use them. And also maybe practice a step or two around your home without them. I have a small kitchen - just 3 steps across - so that is where I practiced my without aid steps. Easy to grab a counter if I felt the need.

:praying::praying:Thank you for your encouragement, so good to see all comments.
I’m going crutchless today (that sounds a bit rude! Ha!), but i’m switching to one cane to try and wean off the crutches.. like you i have a small kitchen, so little steps from hither to thither. But over 2yrs on them is straining my shoulders markedly now.
I had a 1st physio this week, she was very good, went easy in me as i am still doddery. Trying to rebuild the forgotten muscles and teach my brain how to keep centreline and balance. She also suggested trecking poles for round the house, like stabilisers on a human bike. :heehee: Sit to stand exercises without pushin up from chair arms is a challenge. But its good to know this is still improvement.
My 1st hip is 9mnth post op, the 2nd is 2mnths ago. Judging by what i read here, about a year is a general full recovery, we keep chipping away.
Could it be my goal is now in sight?!
Can i get a life back?.....Finally, after 3yrs of intense pain. Let us pray!

Six weeks out.... the post-up blues descended upon me....
trying to be patient and get more confident that things really were going to be ok was a bit tough.

Recovery is Boooring:bored:
Good old Vitamin D therapy was also a boost for my spirit:SUNsmile:
Spring is springing full on here in my neck of the woods...
azaelas and dogwoods blooming and the birds and bees are gearing up for Easter.

Keep the faith, friend....
Oh mmy yes! Recovery sure is boorinnnnggg! Only so many movies and books you can read. But i took/take alot of solace from hobbies, force myself to do them even when it’s one of those lack lustre days. Plus it kerbs my retail therapy :heehee: of which there’s been lots.
I got me a Lyre Harp for Christmas, never played before, can't read music, but i’ve made some lovely tunes so far. And quite meditative to play...
Anything to keep the spirits up for patience during recovery.
Wishing us all well.

pre and post op i found needlework a good past time, as i could embroider while laying on my good side; made a few gifts which always lifts spirits - doing a little something for someone else gives 2 people a smile.

watercolour painting too - as its quick to work with when can’t sit for too long.

Sounds like you're staying busy being creative and trying new things.
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Happy Spring too! :flwrysmile: Thanks for sharing your recovery here, Bevelina. :)
@Bevelina

Thank you
Now at 9 wks, trying to keep positive that i will be off crutches soon.

Can i ask other members...?
What have other people experienced in the transition to walking unaided post 2 x THR’s? How was their limping situation?

I am still needing crutches, i limp without them still, physio suggests using hiking poles for balance instead but to be honest i don’t feel as steady with them. The limp worries me i’m pushing too much. She said push thru the muscle pain as they’re weak...I understand that but i’m not feeling so sure.. i found walking pain increased after 9days xrcises so i’ve hung back and elevated a little more. (I think i overdid it a couple of weeks ago taking the rubbish down stairs also an awkward job to do, my consultant says get back to normal/off crutches asap so i was trying).

Am I rushing things do y’all think?
(1st THR 9mnths ago, 2nd THR 9wks ago).

Thank you for any thoughts.

i found walking pain increased after 9days xrcises so i’ve hung back and elevated a little more. (I think i overdid it a couple of weeks ago

I'm so sorry that you are experiencing increased pain. Cutting back on the exercises and increasing your elevating and icing are the best ways to get that pain under control.

Were you using crutches prior to your surgery? Perhaps your body just needs time to adjust to its new alignment. After all, you were probably favoring one side prior to your first THR, then everything shifted and you spent six months with that alignment, and now everything has shifted again with your second THR.

She also suggested trecking poles for round the house, like stabilisers on a human bike. :heehee: Sit to stand exercises without pushin up from chair arms is a challenge.
I have also been frustrated with moving away from my walker and cane and just started trying trekking poles around the house. Have you tried them and did it help you move away from your cane? In addition it was just yesterday that my PT was having me practice standing from a chair without using my hands. I look forward to seeing your progress as you are several weeks ahead of me on Hip #2. I hope your recovery goes well.

Hi Bevelina, Thanks for stopping by.
Don't lose sight of the fact that you've experienced two major surgeries within eight months time, the last one only nine weeks ago. Talk to your Physio about heel-toe walking which can help with a limp.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

1713388684121.png

Stay in touch...best wishes!
@Bevelina

She also suggested trecking poles for round the house, like stabilisers on a human bike. :heehee: Sit to stand exercises without pushin up from chair arms is a challenge.
I have also been frustrated with moving away from my walker and cane and just started trying trekking poles around the house. Have you tried them and did it help you move away from your cane? In addition it was just yesterday that my PT was having me practice standing from a chair without using my hands. I look forward to seeing your progress as you are several weeks ahead of me on Hip #2. I hope your recovery goes well.
Hi , how’s your recovery going there? I hope well.
just to say ..about how i’m gettin on with the hiking poles indoors, they are helping, been 100% on crutches for a few years so transition is being slow, but i have done a few walks now without them! Or the poles, HOW simply wondrous a feeling thats been, even doin just a little bit. For me a massive revelation. To stand for abit longer now unaided for one thinv, never thought i’d see the day!
So yes, hiking poles do help in my view, they're not that expensive a prop to purchase too.

So great that they worked for you. I love being able to be outdoors and still have some support if I feel unbalanced.

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Bevelina!
I hope you're doing well. Enjoy the week!
@Bevelina

Really pleased to hear that. imho hiking poles help you to stand up straigter which helps your back and walking too. Don't be afraid to venture outside on a flat surface and extend the time you use them. Eventually you will find that the poles are just being used to steady and reassure you but that most of the weight is going through your leg and improving your muscle strength. I am down to one now and only use it when walking longer distances or carrying something on my back that is heavy. Best of luck!

:happydance:Happy Three Month Anniversary, Bevelina!
I hope you're doing well. Enjoy the week!
@Bevelina
Thank you Layla, :wave: slowly turning corners now, more and more time off those pesky crutches.... its nice being able to do a bit more, tho i do creep into the Overdo It Club a bit. So i make sure pure rest days happen along the way, still elevating, such a good help even now.

Really pleased to hear that. imho hiking poles help you to stand up straigter which helps your back and walking too. Don't be afraid to venture outside on a flat surface and extend the time you use them. Eventually you will find that the poles are just being used to steady and reassure you but that most of the weight is going through your leg and improving your muscle strength. I am down to one now and only use it when walking longer distances or carrying something on my back that is heavy. Best of luck!
Thank you, yes the poles do give that xtra reasurrance, i keep trying just the 1 and focus on my straight centre line and heel/toe focus on walking. It is so very very nice not to always have to use the crutches
(I do have visions of 1 day throwing then off a high cliff into the sea!! :heehee: I never will, but i am THAT sick of them). So a few more months into this 2nd THR recovery life should be so very different to the last few years. Amen! Wishing us all well.

Thank you, yes the poles do give that xtra reasurrance, i keep trying just the 1 and focus on my straight centre line and heel/toe focus on walking. It is so very very nice not to always have to use the crutches
So happy they are working for you. I just spent the weekend walking around outside my lake property with the poles. I have hardly been outside there for a couple years because the ground is uneven and impossible for me to safely walk. With new hips and trekking poles for stability I could meander around and enjoy the nice weather. It was great!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom