TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

3 months today!

No major milestones to report, but there's definitely progress from last month!
  • Two-mile walk yesterday -- first since last summer. The weather was beautiful here in Connecticut so we went to the beach and strolled the waterfront. What a delight!

• Fewer forays into the ODIC. Through trial and error, I've learned that if I walk a long distance two days in a row, swelling increases. So, instead, I alternate between walking one day and peddling my stationery bike the next. It seems to make a difference.

• Descending stairs is smoother. I've noticed I can walk down our steep driveway normally, instead of needing to slalom across the steep parts! Good signs that my flexion continues to improve.

• Sleep is also improving. I still have the occasion night when I need Tylenol to help me get comfortable, but with fewer trips onto the ODIC bench, they are becoming less frequent.

• Episodes of stiffness and discomfort are still present, but they are no longer so intense that I have to plan my day around them.
So, continued improvement with more to go, but overall, I'm delighted with how I'm doing -- and really looking forward to enjoying this summer with 2 functional knees!

Fantastic news! You’re doing great, Deb.
Wishing you a Happy Three Month Anniversary and a wonderful weekend!
The walk on the beach sounds wonderful.
@benne68

Great report. Doing 2 mile walks is excellent progress.

Most excellent!!!!

What an inspiring post! Great progress which gives me something to look forward to!

Yay, @benne68 !! :loveshwr: :loveshwr: :loveshwr:

Great report! 2 miles is more than I was doing at 3 months post-op. You're doing great!!!

Today is 4 months post-op, so thought I should share an update.

I'm doing well right now, but recent weeks have brought a series of ups and downs! In fact, this month has been a good reminder that this truly is a year-long recovery and I can still overdo thing enough to end up on the ODIC bench! :no-fin:

On the positive side:
  • I can regularly take a 2-mile walk -- although not every day. I need to alternate -- one day on, one day off -- to avoid the ODIC.
  • Low back pain is significantly less -- thanks to the regular walking, easing back into my yoga practice and periodic massage therapy sessions.
  • Sleep problems seem to have passed finally!
  • Descending stairs is become smoother and easier -- although I still hesitate on a really steep set.
  • Importantly, I no longer worry about not being able to do my ADLs.
Still dealing with stiffness and discomfort if I sit for a long period -- especially on car rides. And I'm still find that random pains pop up in different parts of my leg (calf, ankle, hamstring, etc.) as my body continues to adjust to its new alignment.

I'm happy with how far I've come in the past four months and, based on past experience, expect to continue to improve in the months ahead. I have five months until my daughter's wedding, so plenty of time to get back my dance moves! :egypdance:

Just checking my emails and saw your latest post. Yay!!! Glad things are doing better and better each day, week and month that's gone by. You'll definitely be dancing at your daughter's wedding! :loveshwr:

Great update!
It might be time to think about what shoes you will be dancing in, at your daughter’s wedding! :banana-santa:

Last edited:
Wow!!! Two miles at four months is impressive!!! I am imagining the conga line you'll lead at her wedding!
:happydance:

I’ll be 4 months on the 20th and my progress is a lot like yours. I’ve been trying to walk 2 miles a day and ride my stationary bike every day. I think I’m definitely a member of the ODIC. I have a friend that is a PT and she even suggested that I alternate days with walking and riding the stationary bike. I’m also glad to know I’m not the only one with a stiff knee at 4 months!
Happy 4 month anniversary! @benne68

And happy (slightly early) 4 month an-knee-versary to you, @Maggie M!

I agree about alternating between walking and the bike -- it definitely reduces the time on spend on the ODIC bench.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exocoetidae
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom