BCSAnna's TKR Prep

Cynof4

I went online tonight to my personal medical record at the hospital that I am having my surgery. Results of my pre-admissions testing were posted and everything is good to go for the 12th. I then checked out the report filed after my visit last month with my OS. Holy Christmas! My knees are far worst then I thought...based on the medical report I just read I am truly amazed that I am still able to walk at all!:sad: No wonder my OS remarked that I should have had the surgery three years ago!

Anna

@BCSAnna,
Great news that your pre-admission testing is complete and you are good to go! My hospital/ surgeon group requires that pre-op testing be completed no sooner than 2 weeks prior to the surgery date so I still have a 2 week wait with that. I'm not concerned about anything, so hopefully that will be all good as well.
I love that in this digital age we can read and see the content of our medical records and reports. I too have found some surprises when reading lab and imaging reports. Both of my knees are trashed as well, but my right one recently went through some trauma that has accelerated the OA throughout the joint and the constant pain surrounds me like a heavy cloud. I'll be relieved to be on the recovery side of this journey!
I've heard from many people that they wish they had had their replacement surgery years ago instead of waiting for years in pain. I'm 53 and I know I could not live the active lifestyle I desire with my knees in this shape for much longer.
~Cynthia

@Cynof4

I have also heard from many people the same statement, "If I had only known how great my replacement knee(s) would feel, I would have had the surgery years ago!

In your case, you are much too young to compromise the quality of your life due to bad knees. If this surgery will provide you with the opportunity to fully enjoy your life, pain free, with unrestricted mobility why would you not go for it. It is a no brainer in my book.:yes:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was ready, willing and able to "pull the trigger" on TKR back in late fall 2014. And then on the morning of December 26th, I got the phone call that confirmed I had breast cancer. And so, faced with the decision of getting new knees or fighting for my life, I opted for the latter. That journey to he** and back, totally took control of my life for the next two years. The lives of both my spouse and myself fully revolved around doctor visits and other medical appointments. There were many times I thought that I would never get back control of my life! It was two steps toward one step back for months.:boohoo:

Well, as you can imagine, when that ordeal finally ended, the very last thing I wanted was to be a patient at any medical facility!:no-fin:

And so, my husband and I tried to get our life back to normal while I continued to put up with my bad knee. We enjoy travel so we went on several nice trips. However, during our last big trip we had to call our airline to request wheelchair assistance because I could no longer walk the distance required at airports. That's when I knew that time was up and that, since both of my knees were now shot, I couldn't put the surgery off any longer.:nah:And so, like you my surgery buddy, I will take that leap of faith once again and enter the OR and hope and pray for the best.:beg:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom