Back again for RTHR - Mako robotic THR anyone?

Itzdor

Country
United States United States
I am about to schedule my hip replacement surgery and, at one of the hospitals, my doctor uses the Mako procedure. Have any of you had it? Would you please be so kind as to give me your opinion, experience etc. I did have a hip replacement done seven years ago and have been very pleased with it. I received a Stryker implant and it was the minimallly invasive type of surgery.

I have tried researching it online, but I'm not finding much about it. Thank you for any input you can give me. Please cross your fingers, I am nervous to have another one.

@Itzdor, sounds like you are onto a winner - I just did a quick google as I was curious too and found a lot of info. The approach involves the surgeon using integrated robotic technology with three-dimensional computer imaging, All this = a high level of accuracy for you. Maybe someone who's actually experienced this procedure will come and give some more info.

For now, this is one of many things I found - a few pics of the robotic arm and explanation.
http://www.robotichips.com/pdf/hip-patient-pre-op-guide.pdf

Hi all, later this week I will bescheduling my right hip replacement for mid-March. I had my LTHR done in 2010 and now it's time for my other one. I think I am dreading this one as much as I did the last one. It's not that I had a bad experience, it's just the thought of surgery again concerns me.

I'd forgotten how to use this site for postings. Do I just continue to add onto this thread every time I have a question?

My doctor goes to two hospitals. At one he can do a Mako robotic procedure, which I am just learning about. Or, if I go to the other hospital he will do his regular minimally invasive procedure.

I now have a Stryker implant and the Mako procedure is also a Stryker method. Have you heard about this? Or are considering having it done?

I will post the date of my surgery as soon as I have it and I look forward to going through this with you too. Misery loves company, my mother used to say.

All for now. Happy trails to you.

Welcome back!! I have not heard of the Mako robotic procedure but hopefully others will be along who have and can help you out. Hang in there. The waiting is the worse part! :)

Hi @Itzdor - just wondering, did you get my reply to you on your previous post? You asked a similar question if I remember, about Mako.

@Itzdor welcome back! I changed your thread title a bit so that members who are familiar with THR robotic surgery can chime in.

I was more worried about my second THR as well. No one likes to face major surgery. But I found the recovery much easier as I knew what to expect. We are with you again through your second THR.

I'd forgotten how to use this site for postings. Do I just continue to add onto this thread every time I have a question?
I combined the 2 threads you started about Mako into this one thread. Please don't start additional threads about the same subject. And yes, it is better to keep all your questions in one place. Thanks!

Thank you, all, for your responses. I'm still trying to figure out this site again. I do remember from last time how helpful, kind and supportive everyone was...and you are proving that again.

Still haven't heard from anyone who'se had the Mako procedure which worries me...but, as I'm writing this, I've found several utube videos on the procedure that really are starting to allay my fears.

I dId find that The Princess Grace Hospital uses one. You can Google the video. I did post a link, but removed it. I think I remember from 2010 that that is a no, no?

Thoughts? Thanks.

@Itzdor I really can't recall anyone on the hip side who has had Mako. However, I think the answer to your concern is very simple. Which surgeon do you feel you could work with? The approach, implant and technical issue regarding the procedure are all up to that particular surgeon. Leave these details to the professionals. But if you have doubts with either surgeon your decision is made. Being about the question and discuss with your surgeon is key to a success for both of you.

I am about to schedule my hip replacement surgery and, at one of the hospitals, my doctor uses the Mako procedure. Have any of you had it? Would you please be so kind as to give me your opinion, experience etc. I did have a hip replacement done seven years ago and have been very pleased with it. I received a Stryker implant and it was the minimallly invasive type of surgery.

I have tried researching it online, but I'm not finding much about it. Thank you for any input you can give me. Please cross your fingers, I am nervous to have another one.

@Itzdor. Sounds like our journeys are similar. RTHR 8 years ago, same hospital different surgeon. This time Dr used the Robotic arm for my LTHR . Several differences in X-rays and very specific CT scans. But this is what I notice the most: not much swelling and bruising and the pain is less. I am 5 days out. I still have significant pain, but nothing compared to last time. It also took me about 3 weeks last time to get in my bed and sleep. Because moving isn't as painful I move more! I had my self pretty worked up before surgery, but it really has been better! I'm sure it is because I was handled very carefully and minimally. Please look into the articles suggested, but also know your surgery should be much better. Keep in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

I'm alone so I am setting it up that I will spend three days in the hospital, in order to go to rehab for as long as they will keep me (I'm told that is a requirement for going.). Last time I was in rehab for eight days. In these times, the insurance companies decide when you are well enough to leave. After that, I will go to my daughter's for about a week, then I'm hoping to be able to come home and be alone. Where I live it is all one floor so getting around is relatively easy. Maybe this time I will come home directly from rehab!

My biggest concern is my dog. People might think me foolish, but living alone, he is my boone companion. He is very large and strong, but minds me well. He will kennel where I got him from until I come home. Then, it is my intent to have him come home and I will get a dog walker. I am hoping I will be sufficiently strong enough to just walk him in the morning and evening to a close-by tree, then she can take him for a long walk each day. When you have a big dog,it is difficult to find anyone to keep them or even to walk them. I need to be able to count on whoever that is because I can't deal with a suddenly "unavailable" situation. It will be a business arrangement with local backup. I am going to install that "fake" dog grass on my deck for emergencies.

All in all, I remember how to prep my living quarters and have the necessary aids to assist me. However, I find my mind spinning and I have to push the anxiety down when it rears its ugly head. I was able to drive last time when I came home after about 18 days, but it was my left hip. That helped a lot. This time, with it being my right hip, I will just have to wait and see. My doctor's only criteria was that I be off pain medication to be able to drive. That was no problem for me because opids and I don't get along so ibuprofen was my drug of choice.

This is a very long answer to your very kind question which I am grateful for. I always miss my husband, but it is at times like this that it is even more difficult. He would not have thought me a burden, but I worry about imposing on my friends and neighbors. Ah well...

I hope you have a sunny day and a speedy recovery. I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Thanks again for your concern and kindness.

I'm alone so I am setting it up that I will spend three days in the hospital, in order to go to rehab for as long as they will keep me (I'm told that is a requirement for going.). Last time I was in rehab for eight days. In these times, the insurance companies decide when you are well enough to leave. After that, I will go to my daughter's for about a week, then I'm hoping to be able to come home and be alone. Where I live it is all one floor so getting around is relatively easy. Maybe this time I will come home directly from rehab!

My biggest concern is my dog. People might think me foolish, but living alone, he is my boone companion. He is very large and strong, but minds me well. He will kennel where I got him from until I come home. Then, it is my intent to have him come home and I will get a dog walker. I am hoping I will be sufficiently strong enough to just walk him in the morning and evening to a close-by tree, then she can take him for a long walk each day. When you have a big dog,it is difficult to find anyone to keep them or even to walk them. I need to be able to count on whoever that is because I can't deal with a suddenly "unavailable" situation. It will be a business arrangement with local backup. I am going to install that "fake" dog grass on my deck for emergencies.

All in all, I remember how to prep my living quarters and have the necessary aids to assist me. However, I find my mind spinning and I have to push the anxiety down when it rears its ugly head. I was able to drive last time when I came home after about 18 days, but it was my left hip. That helped a lot. This time, with it being my right hip, I will just have to wait and see. My doctor's only criteria was that I be off pain medication to be able to drive. That was no problem for me because opids and I don't get along so ibuprofen was my drug of choice.

This is a very long answer to your very kind question which I am grateful for. I always miss my husband, but it is at times like this that it is even more difficult. He would not have thought me a burden, but I worry about imposing on my friends and neighbors. Ah well...

I hope you have a sunny day and a speedy recovery. I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Thanks again for your concern and kindness.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

@Itzdor. It is good that you are going into a rehab for short stay. I'm on day 6 post op. I would need someone to come in to check on me each day. Preparing meals, even easy ones and showering are things I wouldn't be ready to do alone. I always had large dogs so I understand. Ours passed away a few years ago. I wouldn't be able to walk a dog today either. I think that with your rehab stay and your time at your daughters, you will be good to go when you come home alone. Each day I do better with everything. I had a terrible time with anxiety before hand too. However, the night before and day of I was just ready and didn't have much anxiety. I'm so relieved I do not have the terrible preop pain. I have hope! Let me know if you have any other questions I could help with.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

Opie, thanks for the words of understand and kindness. My thoughts keep twirling and I hate the middle of the nights. It is now 2:50 AM and I've been up since 1:30 AM. I am very concerned about how I'm going to handle everything. During the day I can keep the tigers at bay, but out they come in the middle of the night.

The more I read, the more I tell myself that I can wait longer to get this done. Then, I remember that I really need to focus on not waiting until I am in excruciating pain and to do it now. I don't want to wait until I fall and shatter something and then am in the awkward position of having to do it spur of the moment without any preplanning.

I know this is a condition that does not improve, but slowly worsens and it might even worsen quickly. Forty-two days, ugh!

How is your pain level? What are you taking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Opie, thanks for the words of understand and kindness. My thoughts keep twirling and I hate the middle of the nights. It is now 2:50 AM and I've been up since 1:30 AM. I am very concerned about how I'm going to handle everything. During the day I can keep the tigers at bay, but out they come in the middle of the night.

The more I read, the more I tell myself that I can wait longer to get this done. Then, I remember that I really need to focus on not waiting until I am in excruciating pain and to do it now. I don't want to wait until I fall and shatter something and then am in the awkward position of having to do it spur of the moment without any preplanning.

I know this is a condition that does not improve, but slowly worsens and it might even worsen quickly. Forty-two days, ugh!

How is your pain level? What are you taking?

@Itzdor.. my mind went crazy at night too. I have a breathing technique I use to help me sleep and to stop negative thoughts.. breathe in for 4 counts, hold 7 counts, exhale for 8. Continue as long as needed. Relaxes and calms.

It will only get worse. Stay the course, read all you can, make a list and get your house ready. Have the surgery and then you can work through post op and then get on with your life! I am now day 11 post op and I can honestly say the weeks prior to were the worst. Breathe:)

@Itzdor.. my mind went crazy at night too. I have a breathing technique I use to help me sleep and to stop negative thoughts.. breathe in for 4 counts, hold 7 counts, exhale for 8. Continue as long as needed. Relaxes and calms.

It will only get worse. Stay the course, read all you can, make a list and get your house ready. Have the surgery and then you can work through post op and then get on with your life! I am now day 11 post op and I can honestly say the weeks prior to were the worst. Breathe:)

@Itzdor... my pain is better each day. You must stay true to the pain management, ice, elevate and rest routine outlined here. I had a hard time with this and had many people here encourage me to stick to the plan. I kept thinking I should be weaning off meds sooner. I am on oxycodine and Tylenol.

Here is a suggested schedule for cutting back on prescription pain medications. Stay at each level for 3-4 days or even longer if you notice the pain symptoms increasing. This schedule assumes you are starting with one pill every 4 hours before beginning the reduction process.

1 pill every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime
1 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 4 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 at bedtime
1 pill if you are really doing something active during the day and 1 at bedtime

It is usually better to wean off these meds over several weeks, not several days. But.....if you are still having pain, then your body is healing and you still need pain relief. And in this case, I would discuss your pain management with your GP instead of your surgeon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member