Revision TKR August 1st 2023 Second TKR Revision Left Knee

Five months after second revision, left knee -

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my last set of bloodwork showed an elevated CRP, 1.99 vs. the max upper limit of 0.5, but the trend was sideways. We scheduled another blood draw on January 10, and if it is above 1.5 we'll set up an aspiration and get it cultured.

The swelling in my knee has increased another cm in circumference since a month ago, so I think the odds of a recurrence of the infection are increasing. The knee continues to be stiff with flexion of about 85°. I am over the flu/cold bug that was running around but I am still tired, don't know if that is from the bug or perhaps from a recurrence of the infection.

I am able to get around, do basic workouts, run errands, etc., but I cannot be on my feet for more than an hour and a half or so, and then I need a nap, so not yet back to any kind of normal.

@WFD So sorry you are dealing with this possible infection. Fingers crossed things start to move in a more positive direction. Please keep us updated!

So sorry to read this, WFD. Hopefully there is no infection. Often the cold / flu we experience is exhausting.
I hope you're able to get lots of rest and receive a good report on January 10th. Stay in touch!
@WFD

So I had the blood draw yesterday and got the results on the portal that night. CRP is up to 3.35 (vs a normal max of 0.5) so there is definitely something going on. Now trying to get a knee aspiration scheduled ASAP.

Boo on PICC lines and boo on oral antibiotics that make me sick to my stomach.

Oh no, I hope it doesn't turn out to be another infection.

@WFD That’s worrisome, I hope you can get an appointment quickly. Please keep us updated.
I agree about antibiotics and PICC lines.

Six months after 2nd revision, left knee -

Well, I finally got my knee aspirated today, which took three weeks to make happen. No one seems to return phone calls these days.

The fluid drawn was very viscous (the doctor remarked on it) and murky. It definitely did not look healthy. Now I have to wait for the results of the culture - last time it took two weeks to get results from the culture, as staph lugdenensis grows slowly.

I pinged my doctor's PA to see if he wants me on some antibiotics in the meantime.

Otherwise I am in a holding pattern, slowly losing ground. The swelling in my knee (which I measure every morning by measuring the circumference of my knee) has been slowly but steadily increasing since about the 6 week mark. My RoM peaked then at about 95° and now is probably about 80°. I can't do more than about 3,500 - 4,000 steps per day without getting stiff and sore.

I hope we can kill this infection, restore a little RoM, and resume improving my ability to be on my feet and do things. I really, really, don't want to have to go through a two-stage revision.

Gosh WFD...I'm so sorry. :sad: The waiting has to be so difficult.
I hope you hear sooner than two weeks from now so you're able to put a plan in morion. Please stay in touch and know that we care.
@WFD

Oh no (sigh)
Please keep us posted. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

This just breaks my heart. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this difficulty. I hope you have plenty of support as you navigate this. You know you can always share here, and there are so many pulling for you to get through this and out the other side where you can get your full, rich life back. You are strong and determined and you have continued to push forward to find a solution. If anyone can overcome this tough experience, you can WFD

That was a good idea to “ping” your surgeon’s PA.
about the possible need to begin antibiotics
I hope you hear back before the start of the weekend.
Like others have said, I am so sorry you are dealing with this again.
Thank you for keeping us updated. We are here for you.

So so sorry to hear of your troubles. I really feel for you going through all this again.
I think you are right to chase the PA about whether you need any interim treatment until the culture comes back.

We are here for you, night and day, whenever you need to 'talk'. We care and many will be praying for you.

I heard back. They don't want to risk starting with the wrong antibiotics. So now I have to wait - it took about two weeks last time.

I heard back. They don't want to risk starting with the wrong antibiotics. So now I have to wait - it took about two weeks last time.
I know the waiting is hard but from an infectious disease standard that's a prudent approach.

heard back. They don't want to risk starting with the wrong antibiotics. So now I have to wait - it took about two weeks last time.
That's really tough but it does make sense.
I guess the risk is of antibiotic resistance if they use the wrong ones.
Hope the time passes quickly and you manage to cope OK. Just take it steady and keep us all posted.

Oh darn. Was hoping they possibly could start a broad spectrum antibiotic.
Please try to eat super healthy and get plenty of rest, fluids? It can’t hurt.
In fact maybe look into our new nutrition page for some healthy tips. I’ve tried to give you the link and am failing while on my phone. Will try again later!
The waiting has to be grating terribly on your nerves. Hang in there!

Seven months after second revision of left knee -

Well, its been a month since having my knee aspirated on 2/1. We had the culture results on 2/6 - the staph lugdunensis has returned. Then followed two wasted weeks trying to get my hospital's infectious disease department to step up but they went silent on us after assuring us that they would schedule an appointment.

I got fed up and found a new ID doc through my primary care physician, and have an appointment for next Wednesday, making it exactly a month since we knew all the details about the infection in my knee. This is frustrating beyond belief. I am very aggressive about pursuing these issues, and I wonder what a non-assertive person does, just sit at home and wait to die?

The ID office that failed me is at St. Elizabeth's, just outside of Boston, and is part of the Steward Medical corporation. They have been in the news lately as they are failing financially and operations at their hospitals are going down the tubes. I am now in the process of extricating myself from having to depend on them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks
Back