• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Another small step forward to reclaiming my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carousel66

graduate
I mentioned in another post that I used to train/show dogs. I had given more and more of that hobby up the last several years. But yesterday! I made my first step back, meeting with my instructor and having an lesson with my dog.
WOW, my brain felt out of sync and slow at times.... but my KNEE while a also a bit slow and out of sync :DOH: (go figure ahahahah). It DIDN'T HURT.

My instructor has a great building that has some sort of rubberized floor over concrete and then matting on top of that, so that was a big bonus!

On Sunday I have another event planned with my dogs, this time to start my puppy to learn to track! wow..... something I have not considered in almost 4 yrs.

small steps, very small steps but each one is a piece of my life I had given up because of the ROTTEN knee I used to have, my new bionic knee is serving me very well at this early time since my replacement. I can't wait to see where I am in a year!

My goal for my first show with my dog will be early July! I think we will be ready!

Re: Another small step fwd to reclaiming my life!

I disagree with you, Catherine. This is NOT a small step forward, it's HUGE!!!! Congratulations and welcome to the "fun" side of surgery. I look forward to more updates on your dog training.

ahahah yes Jamie, lets call it "one small step" :happy dance: like a step... walking on the moon!!!
I can't stress how important focusing on the "can" part of this recovery is. All the little things I CAN do, not "can't do YET"
I DID have a frustrating few weeks week 3 and 4, and felt stuck, it was mental more than anything else.
thanks again for the support!

All I can say is WOW! You're able to do a lot more than I did in the first few months. I was basically either doing physical therapy or lying around with my leg up icing my knee. Congratulations. How wonderful to be back to doing something you love.

I agree with Newknee. What you're doing is huge. I'm not that far along at 8 weeks. Keep up the positive attitude.

Ann

Good for you, girl! May you have many, many more.

thank you everyone,
I'm choosing to "try" these new things (trained the dogs on a Tuesday) with some "sense" I have PT - M, W, F
it was good for some my balance issues and practical life.

I also get massages Tueday afternoons

I do PT in the mornings becuase I have more energy and am less swollen.
I then RELAX watch TV and "hang out" the rest of the day.

I had another good PT day, felt good and managed to get my flex to 120!

I think riding the bike has been really good, I do that every morning and every night, almost always.... I ride 34 min each time. I have started to lower my seat and I think that is helping. I do with almost no resistance, mostly it is to help my knee bend.

thank you!!

Catherine this is a great update! Thanks for posting it. You are really making great progress. I have no doubt you will reach your early July goal. Well done!

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!:yahoo:

Catherine, you are amazing! I bet your heart is dancing with happiness now that your working with your dog's again.

Catherine...you must be on cloud nine! Great recovery story and you only had your surgery at the end of January! WOW!!

today was my 6 week follow up w/ my OS.
My knee is awesome!
Doc said to keep doing what I'm doing!
I plan to go back to work on March 28th
Also heard what I was fearing, but expecting, when I go back for my 5 month follow up in Aug, we will talk about a partial for my R knee. The medial part of my knee is a lot wose than my prior xrays from a year ago.
all and all good and I can deal with my right knee, it is very painful at times, but stable.
I was at 0 and 123 at PT on Wed.
I'm very pleased with my progress as is my OS, and I'm grateful for his skill!

It is great to hear how well you are doing! Your ROM is fantastic! Have fun with your pups---Enjoy how good you feel and enjoy what you do with them. Smart ideas too about going to PT in the AM.

Riding the bike was tremendously beneficial to me, and I am happy to hear that you are working it pretty good, too; it will help you with ROM and strengthening your muscles, too. Keep icing and elevating when you need it.

I just wanted to pop in and say congrats and good luck! :THUMB:

thanks!
the bike was a REALLY good investment, and it was at the advice of my PT that I got it. and was riding it 30 min 2x a day prior to surgery, it was the only thing I could do.
today I pushed my time on the bike by 10 min, and I think at least while I'm off work I will bump up the time on my non PT days.
for a few weeks I have been doing 34 min am/pm tonight I did 45 min.
I'm still so thrilled about how good my left knee feels!!!! my only bummer is my burning right knee.
My OS also okay'd me to go start going back the pool, I have had a few internal stitches come to the surface but he said it looked good and go ahead and go back.
I will hate going back to work! I could get really used to this "not" working thing!

It has been awhile since I last posted. I had a big adventure the last 10 days.

Tuesday night the 15th I got a call I knew would be coming but was still not prepared. A good friend (Dave) in southern CA had been given about a week or 2 to live and had entered Hospice a few days prior. He was loosing his battle with Melanoma. I looked at plane tickets and they were out of sight. I made a quick decision to fast pack the mini van and drive with my 4 dogs the 1000 miles to crash a friends (Holly) house and go visit our friend.

So Wed morning loaded up and started the drive, I got off the road after 11 1/2 hours. I used my TED hose and tried to get out and walk more than I normally would.

I got a call wed night from my friend Holly that I needed to get there..... fast... we needed to go see Dave on Thursday. I got up early for the last 6 hours of driving and we regrouped and were back on the road by 2pm. A chat with Dave's wife as we started the last 2 hours of our drive said that he seemed to have slipped into a coma, and we should be prepared.

It was harder than I thought to sit with Dave, hold his hand telling him I loved him and would miss him, I wished he could see how good I was doing w/ my new knee and that I hoped he could see the new "mini" me (had lost 50# since I last saw him - and have 50 more to go). Lots of hugs, lots of tears and after about 2 hours of visiting at 7pm we were on our way back to Holly's house.

We got the call friday morning that Dave passed away about 3 hours after we left. His service would be the 22nd so I decided to stay in Southern CA. Friday-Monday. We had a lot of adventures visiting friends (in horrible weather) including my Great Aunt who is 94 - had not seen her in about 30yrs.

My friend lives up in the High desert and we walked every day with our dogs out in the desert. Holly has a neat Garmin sports watch and I did a 3.4 mile walk one day. Our 4 walks covered over 12 miles in the desert! It Felt good to be "normal" I had Holly help stretch my leg after our walks. I did "fall" one day but didn't get hurt.

Dave's service on the 22nd was beautiful. Went back to their house. Holly and I took their dog for a 2 hour walk to help her get a good outlet, I figure it was at least 4 miles if not more. Then Wed morning our last walk in the desert and I started the drive back home. figured it would be "smart" for a change to split my drive in 1/2 (not long day short day).

Stopped at Williams CA, slept in until 7 am,,,, I turned on the news to see we were getting hit with a bad storm. Hit the road......... soon saw signs about re chains (I had them), that there was a mandatory chain screening area about 10 miles north or Reding and to expect delays - all the time I'm wondering "if" I could put my chains on! if I could do it? (never had before!)

Then it started the snow..... then the sign that said stop and chain up (this is I-5 not a back road!) I pulled over looked at the directions, felt over whelmed :sigh: but sitting there was not going to fix my situation. So I got out of the car in the driving wind and wet snow. I then realized the guy parked in front of me had same chains I walked up and asked if I could watch him chain up and if he had any tips.

Well I did it! got the chains on my car, in the driving snow, and horrible wind, soaked past my skin, my undies were even soaked! 1 hour and 25 miles later it was time to take them off. That is when I really had trouble! One of the sets caught on some part of the inside of my wheel where it attached to my car! Almost in tears I finely put the hood up in my car (STILL driving wet snow) and hoped someone would notice I needed HELP. It only took maybe 3 minutes and a guy pulled over and asked if I needed help. A few good jerks on the chains and it came LOOSE! I noticed he was wearing a U of Oregon shirt! I said WOW! I knew it would be a Oregonian to help me. I thanked him and offered and gave him a hug and then continued on.

Trip on Thursday took 11 1/2 hours - (should have been 8). I did strain some muscles in the lateral part of my knee dealing with the chains but they will heal.

So today I went into PT - 11 days since my last appt. I still need to gain some strength but my leg was -1 (it is now "past" 0) and my flex! was an amazing 129! and had I pushed it I could have made it to 130.

My PT asked if I had any issues concerns at this point of my rehab. I said really there was nothing I could not do at this point - still a bit weak when my knee is really flexed but this is territory my leg has not bent to in years. It will come. He gave me a revised work out for home and I will see him 1x a week for 2 more weeks and then I think we will wrap up.

I return to work on Monday

Catherine, your story brought tears to my eye's. What a loving & loyal friend you are, I'm sure Dave felt your presence which brought him great comfort.

The time you spent behind the wheel is just amazing even if you had not undergone such major surgery. Don't you feel empowered knowing that you can handle chains in a nasty storm!:THUMB:

Your PT results were the big, red cherry on top of a hot fudge sundae. You go girl! :yahoo:

Great thread, just enjoyed reading through it. It is great to get your life back, is it not! I love the message about being positive and focusing on the CAN part for recovery. Great job of taking charge of your outcome!

Gardengirl - thanks
I told Joanne, Dave's wife as she was amazed I drove down. I said it was because I COULD, and since I "could" it was an easy decision - 2 weeks eariler? I may not have been able to do the drive, even a week later? I would not have been able to come because of returning to work. I was so glad I could go and say goodbye.
I lost my Dad last summer, and spent the last 2 weeks of his life sleeping in the bedroom I grew up in and spending time with my dad. I know the importance of taking the time to BE there, I was lucky enough to be able to make the trip, we don't get 2nd chances.

and YES - it felt good at least "mentally" lol :skeptical: to get those chains on, HARD on my body but it will recover!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom