TKR Almost 6 Months In

Gravelisgood

Country
Canada Canada
ROM is good at 130 and 0, seems as though tendons or soft tissue gets angry after doing to much cycling, weights at the gym and have to take a few days to rest up, still a struggle going down stairs. Walking 2 miles does not seem to cause any soreness so will keep doing that as weather permits. I check in with the Surgeon next week and will be asking when I can get back to longer rides and hopefully try skating

Thank you for starting your own recovery thread!

Your structure including muscle and tendons had to slowly adapt to your arthritis, possibly even skewing hips, pelvis, or back... Then all at once in OR it all changed! So besides normal healing taking a while (up to a year), there may well be tightnesses and laxities that have to reset.

Whatever causes swelling, pain, or excessive stiffness is best to cut back on, using ice and elevation as needed. It's a one year recovery and you're1/3 of the way there, so heed what your body tells you is too much for now.

Like you, my knees seem to love distance walking, including hills, while the newer 7+ month knee definitely complained big time when I upped the stationary bike from 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Won't try that for another couple of weeks!

Going down stairs... When the new knee is the one remaining up while you first step down onto the non op knee then shift weight... that's an incredibly complex series of muscle maneuvers that all have to coordinate (glutes, hamstrings, quads) especially when you consider our hamstrings are both flexors and extensors! It's often one of the last ADLs for us to master. You'll get there.

still a struggle going down stairs. Walking 2 miles does not seem to cause any soreness so will keep doing that as weather permits.
This was my experience too, that walking was great but stairs took a lot longer.
As @mendogal says stairs take a lot of different muscles/ ligaments and that takes time and a bit of strengthening.
It sounds as though you are doing great with the 2 mile walks and I am positive that the stairs will come.

I read elsewhere that you have a visit with your surgeon tomorrow, Hopefully you get the okay to begin skating again. Best Wishes for your appointment!

Following is the thread of another member that returned to hockey after joint replacement, if interested.
THR A New Ride Begins - The Puckhead's recovery
@Gravelisgood

Hello all, I am on the deck after watching a total Eclipse, it was awesome. Things are going well for me after surgery for a TKR on my left knee Oct 10th, scheduled for the right knee October 25th. I am leaving tomorrow for Kansas for my first Gravel Bike Race since last September, doing a shorter 31 miler, am so thrilled, hope all goes well as I use to do very longer rides, but this is more manageable as I have been riding these miles recently. It will be an emotional event for me for sure, if anyone else is looking to ride, keep at it, it will come, cycling is so good for a new knee

Thanks for such a great update!

Viewing the eclipse was a tad disappointing in the state of Delaware, on the east coast, but knowing what was happening was indeed awesome!

Best wishes on the upcoming bike ride! :bicycle1:

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Your post is so helpful for me to read! I went riding on my rode bike for the first time today, on very flat terrain. I am 5 1/2 months post op and honestly thought I would be farther along than I am. But, I am getting there.

I have a pretty constant tight band feeling around my knee, so my bend is probably around 120. Some days the pain is around a 2, other days it’s more like a 4-5. I am looking forward to not having that feeling or pain in the near future.

Well, I would say I am at much the same at this point, hoping the tightness will go away, but, as they say, it's a 12 month recovery and everyone is different for sure, good luck on your road rides Nay Nay

Happy trails, @Gravelisgood - looking forward to your post ride update!

Such a blessing to be able to view the eclipse! Cloudy day in my neck of the woods, so viewing was impossible.
Wishing you a safe journey to Kansas and good luck for the race. Please let us know how it goes and how the new knee fared through all. Stay safe!
@Gravelisgood

Good for you! Thanks for letting us know.
I hope you're iced and rested up enough to enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
Take good care!
@Gravelisgood

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts