THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

10 weeks for you after a bilateral hopefully translates to 5 weeks with a single.
Certainly hope so and all our recoveries are different.
Just didn't want you to think that you were behind the curve.
Certainly have a good side in bed !
As I told Tiny Mom AND Bebe...all good now:chuckmarch:

I love positive reinforcement. I took my pain meds on schedule yesterday and slept all night in my bed last night. Lesson learned. I still got up a few times, but was able to readjust and get back to sleep. Slept about 6 1/2 hours, much longer than I’ve gotten the past few nights. I’ll try napping today as well. I was also able to sleep comfortably on my non-op side for a bit a few times. I actually found that doing some butt squeezes or pressing my knee down (quad set) helped to dissipate some of those twinges during the night. I guess it helps to move the fluid out of the tissues.

PT wants me to transition to the cane. I said ok, then grabbed my crutches as soon as she left as I don’t feel ready yet. My hip hurt a little with the cane and I want to make sure I’ve got this medication thing down before I start throwing anything new at my hip. Decided to listen to my body.

They also want me to transition to outpatient PT next week, but I think I’ll continue doing what my OS recommended at home for at least another couple of weeks.

Steri strips haven’t fallen off yet, and don’t look close to thinking about it yet. Don’t know what to expect there. The site doesn’t bother me at all except for the maddening itch from where the tape used to be around the perimeter, not on the incision. Another allergic reaction to make note of.

Sticking to the pain medication schedule and hoping for more sleep tonight. :praying:

PT wants me to transition to the cane.
This just drives me mad! PT has a checklist and uses the "one size fits all" method. Good you went back to your crutches. There is no set timeframe to transition to a cane. Listen to that hip - it will tell you went it needs less support. You might transition from 2 crutches to 1 first and see how that goes before trying the cane.

Thank you @Jaycey I knew my hip was right. I’m moving great on the crutches, and I do get around on one crutch as well, but even then I can tell when it’s too much. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m just over 2 weeks post surgery. The good news is that tomorrow is my last in home PT session, then I can just listen to my body for a while and take it from there.

Hi :wave:
You're doing great! @AJinNH I like your approach.
No races to be won here....you're only days out of major surgery in the whole scheme of things.
Keep listening to your body....you're wise.
Wishing you another great night of sleep :sleeep:
Hugs

Steri strips haven’t fallen off yet, and don’t look close to thinking about it yet. Don’t know what to expect there.
I still have a couple remaining on my incision even after 6 weeks. Tough little guys.

Hi AJ......I've been experimenting with one crutch today, just to see if I can do it. I CAN do it, but after about 3 steps I'm more aware of my hip. Think I'll give it a little go every few days, but I'm anxious not to invite my pre-op limp back, so will stay on 2 crutches longer if necessary. I have friends with knee replacements who are asking me why I'm not doing physio class yet (they started at 1 week out) so tell them 'hips are different'....then of course, they know someone with hip replacements who did physio from the operating table (well, not quite but you know what I mean!)....would quite like to hibernate for a bit, everyone I see seems to have an opinion on my recovery .....mean well, of course, but it's a bit tiring batting them away :wink:

@anny you are so right. One of the things I hope that they cover on Joint Awareness Day is why there is such a disparity among healthcare professionals on things such as physical therapy and antibiotics before dental and other invasive procedures for hip replacements. They all have access to the same studies and industry advancements. Depending on your doctor, you may be told that you need to take antibiotics before dental procedures for the rest of your life, or for just 2 years or even never! Healthcare is a science based industry but sometimes you’d never know it. And that’s coming from someone who worked in healthcare for 40 years.

I agree! @AJinNH
It can cause a bit of anxiety in wondering which information is overkill and which may be lax.
If your OS says no anti-biotics before dental visits you can't help but question why others are still prescribing. THEN, what info to believe and put into practice for yourself.

I learned through my mom's recent THR experience there is a disconnect between OS and PT. My mom's OS said PHYSICAL THERAPY NOT NECESSARY. But PT came to her room and hauled her off to PT. She obliged them under the assumption she was supposed to. Frustrating. I'm also hoping some of this is covered through JRAD.

Hope you have a great day!

Does anyone have any remedies for postop groin pain? It’s really the only issue that I’m having. I find I have to keep changing positions, but I only have a limited number of those.

I’m trying to figure out that fine line between progressing and doing too much. I’m elevating and icing, taking my pain meds and walking some every hour. I think I might be on my feet too much in the morning doing all of the beginning of the day stuff (breakfast, shower, dressing, making the bed). I do a lot of standing then, although it doesn’t generally hurt while I’m standing. I’ve even gone back to 2 crutches today to give myself a rest.

I’m going to be on my own for most of next week, so I’ve been making sure that I’m pretty independent before then like helping to prepare my meals and getting my own ice. But maybe I over did it? Is groin pain a normal part of the healing process?

I had quite a bit of groin pain with both THR and it was one of the last things to go away. Stretches and massage helped me the most. PT helped with both of those, especially passive stretches where I wasn't activating the muscles. Some of it related to how I was walking. With walker or cane, I tended to be canted forward a bit. Once I got more upright, that helped.

That’s very helpful, thanks @SaraK . It’s good to know you experienced it as well. It’s also a bit of a challenge at times because I’m so foggy headed, and things that should be obvious to me are taking a bit longer to figure out.

Oh, I recognize that one as well! My memory wasn't as good either - definitely learned to make lots of notes and reminders!

Lots of groin pain also...definitely can be some signs of overdoing it. Some probably just regular old aggravating recovery mess:oyvey:
Hope you can get to the weekend and un-lax !:ice:

Last edited:
Is groin pain a normal part of the healing process?
Well I still have it, along with inner thigh, buttocks, etc. and I am 6 weeks post op. I start to feel better and do more and (wham) here comes the pain and I go back to lying down more.

Attachments

• Studio_20180405_170653.jpg
    Studio_20180405_170653.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 114
Oh @Bumblebee so sorry that you’re still having pain. I will try to make my expectations more in line with reality, love your graphic, so true!

Maybe you get echoes of the original pains after the op for a while? I never had any groin pain before, but I had a pain in the bum.....now my right backside really aches when I use it and can get downright badtempered by the end of the day. Sorry you're both having pain, AJ and Bumblebee....at least with glute pain you can pretend it's due to a really hard workout! Maybe you need to rest more....after all, we're not getting bored, are we? :wink::rotfl:

I think you could be on to something @anny , that area had been really tight and always wanted to pull me forward, now I’m sure that I’m stretching it more than it’s been stretched in a long time just by being able to stand up straighter.

I slept 7 hours last night, a big improvement. I’m setting an alarm every 6 hours to take my pain meds, including during the night which I think is key. Of course I stayed awake for an hour after taking my meds during the night, but I still ended up sleeping more, so it was worth it. I’m going to continue with this routine for at least a week and then figure out my next move.

Also I’m going to break up my morning routine so I’m not on my feet so much at one time. And use 2 crutches today to give my hip a rest as an apology for being such a nuckle head.

I think you are on to something too AJ...if we couldn't make those moves before surgery because of joint restrictions and the subsequent muscle tightening/shortening, now that the joint is unrestricted our muscles are working differently yet not "normal" because of the years perhaps of moving a certain way. They have to relearn a new pattern of walking and moving.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013