• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

After care questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeannel

I am an 80 year old widow, living alone in (fortunately) a one-story house.
I've just about decided that hip replacement surgery can no longer be avoided. I've found excellent information on the procedure and what happens in the hospital..and services covered by medicare. Then, I am stuck! It "feels" like I should find an intermediate after-care facility to bridge the gap between the hospital and going home. And then, home care and services available...under medicare.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a similiar live-style ... and your experience, after surgery. Jeanne

Jeanne .... I am not living alone, however, I was alone most of the time. What I found is that I depended on friends. Even though I tried to make my apartment "hip safe" I wasn't even close. I went to a rehab facility, then had home care. I was quite fortunate, and had the most wonderful therapist. My advice would be to talk to your doctor about it, and investigate the after-care facilities .... perhaps even talk to them.

Thanks for your reply!
I'm due for doctor's appt on Tuesday and hope to get some guidance then.
I THINK my house is "hip safe" - or will be when I get some equipment in (raised toilet seat, walker, bath chair) Any other suggestions? I have no throw rugs. I have a "grabber".
One of the problems of being 80 is most of my friends are my age - or older - I'd be reluctant to rely on their help. Looks like a rehab facility will be necessary and and then investigate home care providers.
I do appreciate your response!

Jeanne ... is your house/apt on one level?

I had to go to a rehab hospital for 10 days after a 5 day hospital stay. My apt. is on 3 levels, with many stairs. I realized after the fact that I had to rearrange my things so that "outfits" were stored together. As opposed to by types of clothing. I also bought 4 reachers .... 3 short and one 1 long, as well as several dressing sticks. Now that I can drive, I leave one in my car.

Bathing was the most difficult. First of all, a terrycloth robe (lightweight) is a must. I also adapted my tub. If you send me a private email, I will be happy to send you photo's of how I did it, or would be happy to call you.

Jeanne, I'll be interested in the information you receive from this posting. I'm 79 and about to have a hip replacement. I need some information about how to prepare for my "homecoming" since I, too, live alone. I'm still not sure how to find a qualified doctor. I know that the doctor I've talked with already is a good doctor, but he has only done 167 hip replacements a year. I don't know if I should be looking for someone who does more than that. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Jeanne, I share your concerns. I'm 79 and need a hip replacement. I need to know how to evaluate the doctor I'm seeing. He has done 167 hips a year. Is this enough expertise to be comforable with?

Jeane and others, be sure your furniture is spread out so that your walker will through and your doors are wide enough so your walker will pass through. Practice ahead of time with the clothing grabbers, pullers, etc. I found the TEDs white stockings for blood clodts the most difficult to manage. I'm in my 5th day and doing great.

Jeanne, another good piece of equipment to have is a bar to help you get in and out of bed, it just slips in under the mattress. I have found that and the raised toilet seat and easy reacher (grabber) the three most important pieces.
Hope all is well.

Jeane and others, be sure your furniture is spread out so that your walker will p*** through and your doors are wide enough so your walker will p*** through. Practice ahead of time with the clothing grabbers, pullers, etc. I found the TEDs white stockings for blood clodts the most difficult to manage. I'm in my 5th day and doing great.

Greg: Where do you find the TEDs stockings?
Peg

Peg,

Not all surgeons use TEDS, mine did. If you need them, they will give them to you in the hospital. Check with your OS's office to see what they will be providing in the hospital. I had an occupational therapist visit after surgery. She set me up with everything I needed for my home as well as teaching me how to use everything. In the weeks before surgery, I also practiced things like getting in and out of bed, chairs without bending my hips and using my arms. I think it helped and we were able to make small adjustments too.

Andrea

Jeane and others, be sure your furniture is spread out so that your walker will p*** through and your doors are wide enough so your walker will p*** through. Practice ahead of time with the clothing grabbers, pullers, etc. I found the TEDs white stockings for blood clodts the most difficult to manage. I'm in my 5th day and doing great.

hi i am 50yrs 7days post op i came home to a one story appt i have no trouble with the stairs but i am terrified of dislocating my new total hip replacement.the pain has been exquisite so that doesnt help.i am not sure how much to door when i wonder why my physio sent me a bill as i clearly didnt get enough info help..

Hi Jude
The hips are pretty robust and the chance of dislocation very slight if you follow the guidelines no leg crossing don't bend beyond 90 degrees etc other than that it does no harm to push yourself a bit forget about it and try to lead as normal life as possible and you will recover quicker
Regards
Doug

thanks for the reply is was very comforting to know you can get information from fellow travellors. does it matter if you hip makes a clicking noise sometimes when you move

cal.li
Did you have a friend or relative with you while you were recovering from your operation? Is this necessary?
Peg

cal.li
Did you have a friend or relative with you while you were recovering from your operation? Is this necessary?
Peg

i had someone withme for the first two days but i think if i had all the equipment you need and are happyto forgo hot drinks as yuo cant carry them you can drink coffee standing next to the machine of course you need a few visitors a daytovisit and get everything ready before you go to
hospital clothes you can reach crockery etc you can doit but it is hard

The Hospital supplied mine right after surgery. I woke up and they were on my legs. Well, I didn't really wake up since I was awake during the surgery. I just had my legs numbed. Wanted that rather than a general. Though my shoulders did get somewhat sore laying on my side. Now Since Feb. 15 I am doing great and back riding my motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom