Revision THR A new year and new hope: revision for loosened THR

:meow:Prairienut...for detailed information on the revision to answer your questions plz see Hippielife original thread report .
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hippielifes-story.46123/

Sorry you had to experience pain from the primary thr ...sometimes it feels like a nut and other times it doesn’t... prairienut I mean..:rotfl:

And the cat incident is explained here .had surgery on hand due to arthritis,yeah a 24 pound panicky cat :yellowcat:is in the doghouse today .imagine the timing for the cat to jump up and hit my pinky as I was reaching down.lots of force in his jump up to the fence. My hand is in a finger splint the end nuckle swollen, lovely colors of purples and blue greens. It’s not infected no need for antibiotics will see doc next week. :catbutterfly: He’s Definately in hot water today.:mooncat::catbutterfly:

Last edited:
I can announce that at 11 days after revision surgery, my operated leg feels better than before surgery. No more unstable, wobbly, twingy feeling in the joint. Let's hope it stays that way a long time. Turns out the morning headaches I had the last couple of mornings were due to a mild viral bug I picked up causing sinus congestion. I found I could not sleep on my left (non-operated) side as it caused the right side to ache even with the pillows. So sleep on my back it is until further notice with my ice pack alongside. I am propping myself up with pillows to keep my head higher than usual. Seems to work. The local hounds are happy to have back their sleeping spot on the queen bed along the windows. At first light, they look out and monitor the wildlife.

Oh, such a wonderful update.:happydance:
Only a few weeks or and you sound like you have confidence that hip is going to do well!
Very happy for you @prairienut
Hope that sinus issues gets home quickly and today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Happy Tuesday :)
Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.
So thrilled for you that things are looking up in more ways than one.
I hope you have a lovely week, you're off to a great start! :yay:
@prairienut

OK, here's a really strange phenomenon for what it's worth. As my femoral implant was loosening (unbeknownst to me) last spring, whenever I would sneeze, there would be a sharp twinge of pain in my right hip. This happened consistently until now. I am 12 days past revision surgery and just caught a very mild cold. I have sneezed several times, but no twinges of pain at all in my hip! Maybe I've discovered a new diagnostic indicator for failing prostheses!

Last edited:
Hahaha :heehee:
Somehow I don't think it will be added to the list of symptoms or indicators.
Interesting for sure, do you suppose the jarring of your body engaged in a sneeze caused a slight movement?

I'm sorry you caught a cold and happy to read there are no twinges upon sneezing.
Feel better soon! :mcoffee: :sleep:
@prairienut

@prairienut Just wondering how you are getting on with this recovery. Sounds like it's going well for you. Update when you get a chance.

Just two weeks out of surgery now. What a difference a week makes. I am down to one extra-strength Tylenol once or twice a day. Back to cooking meals in the kitchen where I can park my crutches in a corner and cruise along the counters. I had enough frozen soups and stews to get me through the first week, but I was happy to get back to some gainful housework. Even started thinking again about my project at the local history museum. I am organizing a display of Winslow Homer's pictures (repros of paintings and some original wood engravings) that were inspired by the landscape and people in my small upstate New York village. Homer spent several summers here in the 1870s. We are featuring recent photographs of the points of view of these pictures to provide the "Then and Now" perspective.

I have read how many people do not like the "armpit" crutches for rehab, calling them a nightmare. These are what I left the hospital with and have hardly used the walker at all. I find them easy to use, faster than the walker, and flexible for putting just the desired amount of weight on the operated side. And of course they are needed for stairs. I had to use crutches for the 6 weeks leading up to the revision surgery so my hands, arms, and shoulders were ready for the job. I have bona fide callouses built up on my hands at this point. I don't like canes at all, so think I will go to one crutch, then to nothing. I have a pair of trekking poles to use when walking in our back meadow or the trails in the woods when the time comes.

Monday, Jan. 21, I see my surgeon for the first follow-up. I have my list of questions ready, but mostly I am very happy with the recovery so far. My hubby reports I am much less crabby and disabled than last time! The questions come mostly from intellectual curiosity. I am bringing an x-ray from last April to see if he sees any signs of the upcoming disaster with the femoral implant. The OS who reviewed the x-ray in April thought everything looked fine. But things were not fine as I had off-and-on dull pain and particularly the "start up" pain that is often associated with loose prostheses. I'll report back what he says.

My last in-home PT session was yesterday. Towards the end of the session, all involving very mild moves, he brought out the much-maligned and dreaded resistance band, albeit the weakest green one. He directed me to set it at my own desired resistance by just holding the loop with my hand and doing a few hip abduction moves while seated. I humored him by doing a few very anemic moves and stopped. It didn't hurt at all. I just don't feel I need more than the standing hip abduction moves at the moment. I'll save the band for a few months down the road. I start outpatient rehab the first week in February.

I hope the story of my recovery from a THR revision (at least so far) reassures others that even if things go wrong with an original THR, which is rare, there is hope in getting it fixed and being on the road to mobility and comfort again.

Last edited:
Wow - great update. You are really doing well. I am so happy this revision is working for you. Still early days but you are making great progress. Thanks for stopping by!

A good friend of mine had her hip replaced at age 16 due to a freak accident, and has had 3 or 4 revisions since then. She also reported preferring crutches and then crutch to the walker or cane, for the very same reasons you shared. I've never used crutches, so the few days I used the walker and the cane suited me fine---crutches always look like a lot of work!

You sound like you are doing great---so positive and already getting up and about. Like you, following my hip replacement I felt so much better mentally, as well as physically, when I could get back into the day to day things, and to enjoying some outside interests again as well. You must have been so discouraged when you were continuing to have the pain---even with sneezing---:gaah: following your original surgery! So glad you are already feeling better. It's amazing, isn't it, how even recovering from a major surgery feels better than before when our hips were so ruined?!?!

The Homer exhibit sounds really interesting----are the areas you have current images of still natural, or will it be a contrast of nature images from the past and present day development? The city I live in has a very vibrant art community and it's one of the things I love about living here!

Last edited:
I may have a problem getting to my OS appointment on Monday. Firstly, our first big winter storm is coming through tonight. Secondly, my husband is still ailing and may not be able to comfortably make the 2-hour trip. Guess I'll have to recruit my son again. Hope he's available. I really do NOT want to miss this appointment. I have all my questions ready! I divided them into three categories: 1) practical recovery questions, 2) questions about the gory details of the surgery itself, and 3) intellectual curiosity questions.

@Debru4, Incredibly, the landscapes that Homer painted in and around Hurley, NY, and even some of the house interiors, are still largely intact. Hurley has a concentration of colonial-era, Dutch-style, limestone houses along its Main Street and in outlying areas, many over 300 years old. Most are still privately owned and all quite charming. The adjacent farms are on a floodplain and have been in continuous agricultural use for thousands of years. The local native people farmed here long before the Europeans arrived. The biggest change from the late 19th century is that forest trees have grown up where previously there were open meadows and orchards. In these places, drone photography will be needed to approximate the former lines of sight.

You sound like you are doing just great and taking things at a comfortable pace for yourself. Great job! I live halfway between Toronto and Niagara Falls and the snow has been flying since about 7:30 am. Accumulation is really starting to add up (we estimate about 9 inches so far) and the wind is starting to pick up. Thankfully, my sweet neighbour phoned yesterday to announce the arrival of his big shiny new snow blower and wants us to leave our snow for him so he can play with his new toy.
:snow plough:

@Carriemay60, We just got word that the storm is tracking further north and west than originally expected. This means our forecast is downgraded from 10-20 inches to 5-10 inches followed by sleet and freezing rain. I was thinking I could ditch my crutches and use the walk-behind snowblower as a sort of walker while getting something useful done. Whaddaya think?

Last edited:
@prairienut No flippin' way!!! Get the son out there is you need the blower. I know from 2 years ago when I tried it is not something to be done with a weakened hip! They take a fair bit of body power to say nothing of the slip & fall risk. I hereby order you to stay inside and watch the storm from the window!!
:holysheep: :no-fin::no-fin::no-fin:

@Carriemay60, Ha ha. Great emojis. Oh, all right. You talked me out of it! Hubby is feeling better today so between him and my son, they will easily knock off the job. I was sort of kidding, but it was a fun mental image to see myself waddling along behind the blower.

:skep:
Okay, pretty lady..don't get yourself on The List:)
No snowblowing for at least another week (absolutely Kidding!)
Hope today is a good day.
All this patience will be be well worth it.
:ok:

Today you will be happy to hear I did no snowblowing, but I did switch to one crutch. Feels very comfortable and allows me to carry things in my right hand. If I get tired or start feeling achy, I will go back to two crutches. Hubby not feeling so well again, so I am pampering him today. Our roles keep switching.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks