TKR 9th day

Levy1

Country
United States United States
Everything went fine, very little pain. I thought I was a superstar Friday night and Saturday because I could walk with out problems
I didn't need a cane or a walker to any degree. Saturday was a lot of problems walking, and by Saturday night I woke up every couple of hours because I wasn't in front of the pain management. I kept doing my exercises all day Sunday and taking the pain management correctly thank goodness and by Sunday night I'm feeling pretty good and I'm starting to walk better. Sleeping well from 8:00 to 11:00 Sunday when the kids woke me up. Anticipating a really good day tomorrow. Thanks for all the information on this form.
Fred

I forgot to mention ,76 years old looking forward to returning to Tennis, skiing and being active again.

Welcome to Recovery!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

For some folks it can be deceptively easy the first day: there's still numbing med in the thigh, and the body's normal inflammatory response hasn't kicked in yet causing painful swelling that restricts range of motion.

I'm so glad you got back on a scheduled pain regimen!

My ortho team was really firm telling me that in the first weeks "less is better!"
I iced and elevated 45-60 minutes, doing my ankle movements (to reduce risk of clots) and some quad sets (to start waking up my quads), and getting up to walk with the walker every hour.

Please do use a walker for a while. It's not that unusual to get dizzy or have the new knee buckle momentarily, even several days post op.

Thank you I'm definitely following that advice and a tad more but you got it I had to get in front of the medication which I don't like taking but that in the little bit of exercise you're talking about is great.

Now on my 9th day. Woke up this morning for the first time did not have a throb in my knee not that it didn't hurt a little but just didn't have the throb so that was nice. Went to physical therapy yesterday where they work me hard continuing to improve on range of motion. Funny thing today I'm working out right now and I am a nauseous, That's the first time that's happened to me. All in all getting along fine.

Funny thing today I'm working out right now and I am a nauseous, That's the first time that's happened to me.
Are you on Advil or Aleve or one of the other pain relievers that are so hard on your stomach? If you’re not getting food in your stomach before taking then it can cause a variety of stomach issues.

Last edited:
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Went to physical therapy yesterday where they work me hard continuing to improve on range of motion. Funny thing today I'm working out right now and I am a nauseous
You are very early in this recovery to be working out. The nausea could be your body's way of telling you that it is not ready for this.

My surgical team advised me after both of my TKRs that my only job the first two weeks was to ice, elevate and rest.

Please read the articles Jockette shared above -- especially the ones about post-op exercise and therapy.

Wishing you an easy recovery.

My ortho team was firm that in the initial weeks "less is better!"

I iced and elevated, took a walk every hour. Did a few quad sets to wake up my quads (not to strengthen them) and then when I tolerated sitting up a few minutes a few seated heel slides.

Gentle gentle self stretching and moving within your comfort zone - don't let PT push or pull your knee! - is all your body will easily tolerate for a few weeks.
1705510297746.png

Happy One Month Anniversary, Levy1!
Have a wonderful week and let us know how you're doing when you have the time.
Take care!
@Levy1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Annajean5
Recent bookmarks