THR Barb's Hip Recovery - RTHR

One bad thing - I now have to exercise with the dreaded rubber band thingies.
Actually, you don't! Hips do not need this type of exercise to recover.

The best way to recover from hip replacement surgery is to walk. If fact, my surgeon will not order PT for his hip patients because it is not needed. And, it can be counterproductive during the early days.

Glad to read that you are finding this recovery easier than the first! :flwrysmile:

Please be careful re the rubber band thingies - I did that during my first hip recovery and it set me back bigtime. Recovery much better second time around just doing gentle exercise and walking. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice @SurreyGirl, that's amazing, because when I think about it I did endless PT and band exercises on my left hip and it never got any better! It's definitely food for thought.

Thank you @benne68 , I will take this advice on board, and continue to walk walk walk.

Back to Garden Centre this morning for more plants, my friend coming this afternoon to plant them for me.

I don't know if you can help, but could I please change the title of my thread to Barbs hip recovery RTHR?

Thank you

:wave: @Barb56
Got your thread title changed:ok:

I echo the above cautions with the resistance bands for these still-early days.
They caused me to strain my groin as other muscles tried to compensate....
I did a lot of the Supine (lying down exercises) without them because easy as it seems, our own leg weight is enough resistance.

Interesting appointment by phone with physio today. The hospital does not offer any in person physio at all.
I told her which exercises I was doing and my walking schedule, all fairly gentle and still with crutches. She agreed the back bridge not helpful for my disc problems and not to worry about clamshells, just do the standing ones as well as i can.
She also said I could now exercise in water, drive the car if I feel I could do an emergency stop, ride my exercise bike at home, go to the gym, and that I sounded fine. So I'll do all that tomorrow shall I. All without seeing me....
So I think that's carte blanche to do it the Bonesmart way!!
She was quite snippy with me as if I was wasting her time, but I did ask her about my raggedy tendons and whether it was inevitable I would limp. She said she knew a lot about it and yes I would and it's very common in women of "our" age. I'm not sure if that's reassuring but at least she had heard of it.
I'm glad I've got all you lovely Bonesmarties coz I'm feeling a bit abandoned by the hospital. I'll see surgeon in a couple of weeks and see what he says.
I feel as exhausted now as if I'd had a full physio session!!

Skipping the exercise bands for a while is a good choice. Just me but it sounds like walking without a limp would be your main goal . Concentrating on slow deliberate walking with good form should be good PT. I'd think in later months if you want to build strength in the muscles then the bands would be beneficial.

Thanks @Eman85 , I think you are right, slow deliberate walking. I just feel a bit shocked there's no aftercare, thankfully I have bonesmart

drive the car if I feel I could do an emergency stop,
Be sure to test your ability to slam on the brakes in a safe place before driving any distance. I was very surprised at how hard this was for me after my right hip replacement. Was so glad we did a test braking in a parking lot!

I think that's carte blanche to do it the Bonesmart way!!
Yay! Slow and steady.

And, happy one month (early) Hip-anniversary tomorrow!

We're glad you're here, Barb. Thanks for joining us.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope your weekend is all you want it to be. :flwrysmile:
@Barb56

Thank you both. Walked a couple of miles with crutches yesterday, very slowly, as was having a bit of back trouble (my old friend spinal stenosis). Having a more restful day today and just doing some very light exercises. I had to move my car in the driveway as a friend was coming....back didn't feel good in driving seat so I'll give it another week I think .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CareBear63
Recent bookmarks