Bilateral THR 5 weeks pain kinda the same as before surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really the distance.....it's how well you worked up to that level of activity and how your body responded. If you hurt afterwards, it was too much too soon. And if you didn't work up to that distance (and twice in one day!), then that's likely the reason for pain afterwards. Try to remember that slow and steady progress is best with activity increases.

It's not really the distance.....it's how well you worked up to that level of activity and how your body responded. If you hurt afterwards, it was too much too soon. And if you didn't work up to that distance (and twice in one day!), then that's likely the reason for pain afterwards. Try to remember that slow and steady progress is best with activity increases.

thank you.

with my stomach issue, should tylonol be avoided as well as alieve?

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

No, Tylenol is an excellent choice for pain relief even with stomach problems. Just be sure you use the Extra Strength (500mg) version. You should take 1000mg at a time at least 4 hours apart and no more than 4 of these doses in any 24 hour period. Tylenol contains acetaminophen and 4000mg is the maximum 24 hour dosage. So be sure you count in any other medications containing it into your daily total. It is frequently in over the counter allery and cold medications, so always read the labels of anything you're taking!

NSAIDs are actually very poor pain relievers following surgery. The swelling and inflammation is different than what you experienced with arthritis. It's surgical pain and it responds much better to real pain relievers like Tylenol, Tramadol, and narcotic pain medications.

Aleve is also an NSAID and should be avoided.

No, Tylenol is an excellent choice for pain relief even with stomach problems. Just be sure you use the Extra Strength (500mg) version. You should take 1000mg at a time at least 4 hours apart and no more than 4 of these doses in any 24 hour period. Tylenol contains acetaminophen and 4000mg is the maximum 24 hour dosage. So be sure you count in any other medications containing it into your daily total. It is frequently in over the counter allery and cold medications, so always read the labels of anything you're taking!

NSAIDs are actually very poor pain relievers following surgery. The swelling and inflammation is different than what you experienced with arthritis. It's surgical pain and it responds much better to real pain relievers like Tylenol, Tramadol, and narcotic pain medications.

Aleve is also an NSAID and should be avoided.

thank you. i will take some tylonol when i get home [emoji1303]

I can't take any NSAIDs because of past stomach surgery. Alleve was the worst of all of them and couldnt take it even before the surgery. Tylenol every 6 hours has done pretty well. I have taken it pretty much on schedule. I have started missing doses or spreading them out and when I find myself in pain (hip replacement in sept and knee replacement in dec) I check when I last took tylenol (I still write it down) and it is always over due.

I always thought Tylenol was a joke for pain relief until the kind people here told me otherwise. I learned if I keep it in y system it really does help.

I can't take any NSAIDs because of past stomach surgery. Alleve was the worst of all of them and couldnt take it even before the surgery. Tylenol every 6 hours has done pretty well. I have taken it pretty much on schedule. I have started missing doses or spreading them out and when I find myself in pain (hip replacement in sept and knee replacement in dec) I check when I last took tylenol (I still write it down) and it is always over due.

I always thought Tylenol was a joke for pain relief until the kind people here told me otherwise. I learned if I keep it in y system it really does help.

yes I too used to not consider it much.

thanx

I just can't stay still....I have to walk at work as it is on a university campus. I understand what you say, it is just not possible for me. I wish I could. I could cut out the doggy walks but she gets so excited to go.

Thank you for your sage advice.

T

I just can't stay still....I have to walk at work as it is on a university campus. I understand what you say, it is just not possible for me. I wish I could. I could cut out the doggy walks but she gets so excited to go.

Thank you for your sage advice.

T

I know that you had both hips done, but do you use a cane at all? I also work on a campus and I find that walking with a cane (even at 9 weeks out) it REALLY helps keep the pain down. Plus, it adds some stability when I feel my hip getting fatigued. (And maybe even a little confidence:yes!:)

I know that you had both hips done, but do you use a cane at all? I also work on a campus and I find that walking with a cane (even at 9 weeks out) it REALLY helps keep the pain down. Plus, it adds some stability when I feel my hip getting fatigued. (And maybe even a little confidence:yes!:)

i do use a cane.

thank you

Well, the title pretty much tells it.

After surgery I had tons of muscle pain. I had bi-lateral Anterior THRs.

After the thigh pain went, the hips feel much like they did prior to the surgery.

Part of me thinks, "what ? did the surgery not fix the problem"?

I mean I feel like the inside of my hips hurt, but thats not possible since the hips aren't there, so what the hell is happening here????

Thanks,

T

Not sure if I get notifications with this site or not....If I ignore you its not on purpose....
Sorry for the mis up...my dates were not right, I am at 8.5 weeks presently...I think :)

I am a little concerned about hip failure myself, after I told others not to worry.

My left hip anterior and post and the outside of my left knee have a lot of pain when weight is put on....usually, then no pain at all then boom pain.

Almost as if something is loose?????

Any ideas?

Thnx

T

Hi TDennison. Josephine or maybe a moderator can send you the hip pain chart. She usually has a list of specific activity questions that go with it.

Otherwise you can tag her and ask your question using the @ symbol in front of her name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Dennison. I had a hip replacement May 12, 2016. I had physio because of my very bad gate. I walked up my street today with my cane and my hip hurt the whole way. I last saw the surgeon in October and he said it all looked good. I take tylenol 3 because I now need a knee joint replacement but I have no energy to go through it. I too teach and took an online teaching option because there is no way I could ever stand and lecture to a large classroom.
What I have discovered is that this surgery has a lot of preop prep and prep talks but the recovery is a huge undertaking with zero support or explanation. All that soft tissue talk is too much. I heard that a lot...soft tissue this and that but it does not change what you are feeling.
Soft tissue still hurts with me and I still sleep on the non surgical side because it is too painful on the surgical side. I have come to accept this will be a long process as this is huge surgery and there is a chunk of metal in me now and tissue that is still healing and meds that still impact on energy and so on.
I cannot imagine how you would ever go back to work 2 weeks later. You really have to take care of yourself and get off your feet when you can.
I do not mean to be negative but recovery is not an easy issue. I have spoken to many people who have had this surgery and they say it took a year or more to begin to forget they even had it...just did something normal and forgot there was this big chunk of metal in there so it is as much a psychological recovery as a physical one.
Get some pain meds that work but do not screw your brain up. I was on dilaudid for 7 weeks and went through absolutely hell horrid withdrawal so I have to really think about this knee surgery and my knee is totally ruined.
Get rest when you can and you can get physio but it is very soon I think. This will take a long time so just try to accept that and at your age you have a life ahead of you. Here I am at a much older age and I feel like I lost a year of my life so a couple of years from now you will be functioning ok again.

I forgot and how could I? I also have sciatic nerve pain down the operated hip side, right down to the feet and sometimes over to the other leg. That was not there before surgery. Surgeon says it is not true sciatica but it will go away. Been there since last July. It is no fun. I never had this before surgery and it was a burning feeling so you may want to ask about sciatic nerve issues.

@TDennison. I was thinking about you today while at my appointment. I finally buckled and went in again- my surgery date was 12-21, so we are pretty close in recovery. My groin pain and general discontent was wearing me out, and I'm not trying to get across campus like you are! I had mentioned iliopsoas before, and my PA confirmed I'm onto something pretty common. From the top of the pelvis down through the crease of your groin is where this tendinitis can inflame, and in the replacement surgery it is essentially stretched to accommodate the new mechanics. Inflammation galore! I've also had shooting nerve pain down my back to my toes (sciatic? Great!) and nerve pain type I Diabetic weehaw!!! Along with the remaining FAI in the right hip that waits to be corrected next year possibly.
What I came away with was a steroid pac and ultrasound therapy at physical therapy, all of which I am utterly ready to try as this PA actually listened and didn't dismiss as though I was another drug seeker (I am NOT interested in opioids!)
Please be in touch with your surgeon's practice and see if you can schedule a mid-level appt. they seem to have more flexible schedules, and are typically more receptive to real world situations...
Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Sorry one more thought. I read your post again...two hips is so much to deal with and now I see you sit at your job which is very very hard on new hips, even hips operated on months ago like mine. This causes swelling and that causes pain. I have learned that when the swelling is gone so too is a lot of pain but if the legs and groin swell than there is pain so however you can do it get out of that seat you work in every half hour and do a few steps and maybe if you can elevate your legs under your desk and then when home like on the couch or bed or a chair with a foot stool to keep the elevation. It helps reduce swelling which can impact on pain.

TD.
Personally I think your a miracle man going back to work after such a short time.
I'm not sure how the College System works across the Atlantic but when you get a break I respectfully suggest that you take total rest and light ( LIGHT ) exercise. I'm willing to wager that many of your Hip issues will settle if you get an opportunity to give them a break. Also don't listen to any of the Campus Gossip about the Guy in the Arts block who could do somersaults after 6 weeks.
Bi-lateral hip replacement surgery is 2 major surgeries done at the same time. No Joke TD and not to be taken lightly as I learned. BUT over time you will get there at your Body's pace not yours. We are Fellow BI-Lats so I feel for you and understand where you are.
If your looking at the Hip Recovery chart I suggest you add 50% on to the times for Bi-Lateral. That's just my experience. The chart is for 1 Hip.
Look after that Metal TD. Ask me any question anytime.
Joe........

Mr. Dennison. I had a hip replacement May 12, 2016. I had physio because of my very bad gate. I walked up my street today with my cane and my hip hurt the whole way. I last saw the surgeon in October and he said it all looked good. I take tylenol 3 because I now need a knee joint replacement but I have no energy to go through it. I too teach and took an online teaching option because there is no way I could ever stand and lecture to a large classroom.
What I have discovered is that this surgery has a lot of preop prep and prep talks but the recovery is a huge undertaking with zero support or explanation. All that soft tissue talk is too much. I heard that a lot...soft tissue this and that but it does not change what you are feeling.
Soft tissue still hurts with me and I still sleep on the non surgical side because it is too painful on the surgical side. I have come to accept this will be a long process as this is huge surgery and there is a chunk of metal in me now and tissue that is still healing and meds that still impact on energy and so on.
I cannot imagine how you would ever go back to work 2 weeks later. You really have to take care of yourself and get off your feet when you can.
I do not mean to be negative but recovery is not an easy issue. I have spoken to many people who have had this surgery and they say it took a year or more to begin to forget they even had it...just did something normal and forgot there was this big chunk of metal in there so it is as much a psychological recovery as a physical one.
Get some pain meds that work but do not screw your brain up. I was on dilaudid for 7 weeks and went through absolutely hell horrid withdrawal so I have to really think about this knee surgery and my knee is totally ruined.
Get rest when you can and you can get physio but it is very soon I think. This will take a long time so just try to accept that and at your age you have a life ahead of you. Here I am at a much older age and I feel like I lost a year of my life so a couple of years from now you will be functioning ok again.

thank you for your words and I hope you can get through your pain issues. I don't use any opioids and quit at I thing 4-5 days after surgery and I had a couple days withdrawal on just that. I had serious hell getting off morphine 15 years ago wit a back reconstruction so I don't play with opioids and frankly they don't
get rid of the pain for me.

thanks again.

t

I forgot and how could I? I also have sciatic nerve pain down the operated hip side, right down to the feet and sometimes over to the other leg. That was not there before surgery. Surgeon says it is not true sciatica but it will go away. Been there since last July. It is no fun. I never had this before surgery and it was a burning feeling so you may want to ask about sciatic nerve issues.

i know sciatica. when i broke my back many years ago my sciatica was being crushed and mashed [emoji30]. luckily i have none of that today. but good point thank you

t

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila