Spine 3 level ACDF recovery

Grammy57

senior
Country
United States United States
I had 3 level fusion on Nov. 8. It was supposed to have been 2 level replacement but the Xrays prior to surgery showed the vertebrae above was slipping when I tilted my head forward, thus the 3 level fusion.
The surgery took over 3 hours and I was kept on pain meds through my one-night hospital stay. I was given Tramadol for pain but only took it for a couple of days as I was not in pain. I had a soft cervical collar to wear for 2 weeks.
At my 6 week check up I was given a bone growth stimulator that I wear 4 hours a day for 180 days.
I knew going in that besides the cervical disk herniations leading to myelopathy I also had moderate and severe foraminal stenosis. The foraminal stenosis was not addressed and I still have pain in my shoulders. But, the myelopathy was address and I am now walking without feeling like I will tip over. I had no clue that was a spine issue.
All in all, I feel it was a worthwhile surgery.

@Grammy57 happy to hear you're feeling better and that it was worthwhile. I've been told in the past that with my cervical stenosis issues they'd rather not do surgery unless it was an absolute necessity. Hoping to never get to that piint. :fingersx: Hope you keep feeling better and better and that the shoulder pain let's up. :friends:

@Grammy57 Condolences that you needed to join the spinal surgery club. In my experience, recovery from spinal surgery was much more complex than from THR. Sleep was non-existent for SO long.

Great that you are already seeing the benefits though. Please keep us updated!

@Elf1 and @Jaycey Thank you. I was amazed at how fast I felt better. There was very little post-operative pain. Elf1, the Dr felt the surgery necessary because of the myelopathy. I didn't realize my unsteadiness and falling was associated with my neck. Jaycey, I've heard so many say how painful it was and having to sleep in chairs, etc. I am very blessed I didn't suffer that. The Dr said he had gentle hands. :) Now to see what is said about the foraminal stenosis at C5.

@Grammy57 happy to hear you're feeling good. I know when I had my fusion the only pain I really remember having was the surgical pain. The back felt great, especially after I got off the meds he had me on. I went back to the tramadol pain management had given me and was fine!

Good news that you are having a speedy recovery. Obviously a very skilled surgeon. Well done!

I had my 6-month check-up last week. The CT shows bone is growing back though not totally fused yet. The Dr said my range of motion was very good and I'm ahead of what he expected. I have lost a little height and the lordosis is a bit off but nothing major. Overall I am feeling good. Thankful that I am no longer off balance.

Another update. I am still having a little trouble with swallowing. Also, I no longer have a gag reflex. I went to the ENT for a sore throat and when he was examining my throat he touched whatever is supposed to make you gag and I didn't react at all. I didn't even know he'd done that until he told me. I have my year check-up in just under 2 weeks.

I no longer have a gag reflex.
For some this might be a benefit! I guess a small price to pay to address your previous pain. Please let us know how your appointment goes!

Well, I had the appointment and it did not go as I thought. The x-ray shows lumen at the top level, a possible screw loose. The bottom level is slipping just over 4 mm. I am back to wearing the bone growth stimulator until February when I'll have a CT to see if I've improved. If I have not improved I get a "stopper" for the facet joint and I'm not sure what my happen if there IS a screw loose. I wore the stimulator for 6 months at the beginning of this. I'm doubtful but hopeful it will work.
As for the gag reflex, it isn't all bad. I no longer gag on the larger pills I take. :)

@Grammy57 These spinal issues are so frustrating! :headbang: I guess all you can do is follow your surgeon's suggestions and see where they take you.

Fingers crossed the stimulator works this time. Six months isn't really that long in this recovery.

What was the actual date of your fusion? I'll add it to your signature for you.

I'm sorry I've been absent for so long. My ACDF ended up at 1 year the C6/7 level hadn't fully fused. After a scare of osteoporosis, I don't have it, I finally ended up with a second surgery May 31 of this year. It was what used to be called Dtrax but is now Corus something. It's tiny wedges that they put in the facets. It went well and at my two month appointment I was given the all-clear. After the severe shoulder pain that started this and the exam that showed myelopathy developing, I'm glad to be done with this. Hopefully for good. Now to see about my knee. :)

Just a quick update. The bone growth stimulator did not work. Because the Dr that read the CT of my neck thought I had osteoporosis things got delayed. I found a clinic for osteoporosis and after all the blood work and other tests it was determined I do not have osteoporosis but I do have osteopenia but only to the degree expected for my age. Once all that was cleared up I had a second surgery on May 31 where 2 small wedges were inserted into the facet joints. My 2 month xrays show everything is healed as expected and I am released from that Drs care. The wedges used to be called DTrax but now are called Cavux FFS.

Well, here I am again. A new surgeon, neuro, ordered a myelogram and there are a lot of small things going on, possible problems down the road. But, they also did a flexion/extension xray at the same time and C7/T1 is slipping/moving. I am waiting for a call from PT and the pain Dr. The surgeon I saw said I could do PT/pain management or surgery, my choice. He mentioned an injection from the pain management Dr but I'm not sure if it would be steroid or nerve block. I looked at his reviews/profile online and it says he does facet blocks. I had 3 different steroid injections before the ACDF and none of them worked so I really don't want that. Don't really want surgery either but the shoulder and upper back pain is wearing on me. My arm is still numb also. So, I will do the therapy, maybe the injection and go from there. I am just falling apart.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom