TKR 2nd tkr

Georgiegirl813

Country
United States United States
My first tkr was 13 months ago, still having pain when I over use it. It was a long recovery, not a robotic surgery but old style, a lot of soft tissue problems, but I eventually moved past most of that. I worked out for 6 months prior, still have a membership, trying to keep my skeletal strong. That being said sinse my 30s I have had severe spinal stenosis and scoliosis. I know how to deal with this for the most part, as I have had it for so many years. What I was not prepared for was the sciatica on both sides all the way to me feet. Always just had it on the right side on occation.

Now 12 days out on my second knee. I was terrified to get this done, but knew there was no turning back, as My spinal stenosis and my functional leg discrepancy, was not allowing for an optimal healing. I learned a lot about from the first tkr, as I was bad about taking my pain meds, boy was that a mistake
Never needed them in the past on any surgeries, so why now? I found out. Never had my leg cut in two before. LOL.
This time I opted for the maco robotic surgery hoping for less soft tissue damage, and maybe a faster recovery. I am getting that, I can walk around the house in the daytime with and without a cane, in moderation, unless I get tires, then back to the walker. Use the riding cart in large stores with cement floor.
The big thing that I read on your thread that has helped me so much, is the weepy, emotional thing. I am not this person. But boy am I now, I read it to my husband, as we have been married 52 years, and he has never seen this side of me, and it was frackly scarring him.

Thank you so much for this thread, it is the first one I have seen, that lets me know I'm ok you're ok. Everbody and everything else tells you why are you not just bouncing right back.

Welcome to BoneSmart

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

We are all different, as are the approaches to recovery. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart will offer advice and are there to help. The advice may vary, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:welome:

If you can tell us which knee was done on what date, we can add you to your newer knee's monthly group and also create a custom signature so members can see at a glance where you are on your recovery journey.

It sounds like you've had a rocky couple of years with pain and mobility issues. Please share both your concerns and your milestones with us. Know that if it's the middle of the night and you just need to vent, somewhere in the world its daytime for our members and they'll be here to offer support!

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Georgiegirl813! I'm so glad you found us.

I hope you will read through the articles that mendogal shared above. I found the information very helpful in my recoveries (just had my second knee done in December).

Please tell us more about yourself and your recovery. The community on this forum will give you lots of support and folks are happy to share their experiences.

:flwrysmile:

My second knee is very recent 11 days ago, I am doing remarkably well, except for my sciatica, bi lateral. I am hoping that now that I have both knees done that will help my posture and gate. I am working with a chiro. For functionsl leg discrepancy. My prayer is to go thru the next 20 years or so realitively pain free. I was very active until about 15 years ago, Double black diamond skiier, long mountain hikes, gardening.

My second knee is very recent 11 days ago, I am doing remarkably well, except for my sciatica, bi lateral. I am hoping that now that I have both knees done that will help my posture
So sorry you have sciatica- that was my worst pain- worse than my knee.
Mine did improve with straightening my leg- although I still get the odd twinge and my lower back is still not great ( like you I have spinal stenosis).
I found using a special U shaped sciatica cushion helped. Also I carried on with Naproxen for my back for a few months post my PKR- for my back rather than my post op pain. Gabapentin was also some help. I also got some zopiclone for sleep for the first month.
What really helped once I was able to get on the floor was pilates/ back exercises. I know that you are very early days- but hang in there.It will improve! Good luck.

Hello and Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

Was April 4th or April 5th the date of your latest surgery, Georgiegirl?
Estimating your first surgery was March 2023?
Please identify which knee goes with which date.

This information will be helpful to those stopping by to read /comment and view with a quick glance how far along you are in the healing process. So thanks in advance for providing this information!
I am sorry you're feeling so blue and I hope you take comfort in the fact that you are not alone...we're always available for support. Here is a link to a thread that will help you see there are others sharing those feelings right along with you. May your days soon become brighter! :SUNsmile:
Depression/post-op blues
@Georgiegirl813

Had a new symptom today, my post op was 3 days ago. Still a lot of swelling, but managing it. I have the disposable stitches on my surgery site. Just noticed I have a bit of black dried on blood and redness on the bottom portion I am 14 days post op

Just noticed I have a bit of black dried on blood and redness on the bottom portion I am 14 days post op

I don't think that this is anything to worry about. More than likely it's just irritation from the stitches pulling the skin. If it gets more swollen and the redness increases and increases in pain, call your doctor and/or send a photo to him.

Ok thanks I did not think so, but the pain was getting so much better but the last 36 hours or so it has been out of control. I will be speaking with my surgeon. Again thanks

the pain was getting so much better but the last 36 hours or so it has been out of control.
Have you increased your activity, done more exercises? This can cause increase pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CareBear63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom