• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

2018 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

Thank you! I got a little lost and posted in the hip forum by mistake but I wish you well! Best of luck!

I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all May Marvels!

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

04 May 2018 sunshine03
08 May 2018 purplehip, sweet alice, rainmaker
09 May 2018 Gettysburg, Kikki (her second)
11 May 2018 mcopt (his second), STLhippie
14 May 2018 rlayt 15 May 2018 LeslieD
15 May 2018 dpholford
16 May 2018 Selkiegirl, NMRJS
18 May 2018 kp28, honeybeast
21 May 2018 Dante, tallguy79
22 May 2018 ckred, turtleyhip
24 May 2018 sabrejet60
29 May 2018 Bone-obo
30 May 2018 eve2
31 May 2018 BusterBeans (her second), bmeirose, LINDZ1975

3 days to go just started using the body wash today but a bit confused about the nasal cream that I have to use the leaflet that came with the body wash says start the nasal cream today. The other leaflet is have got says start on admission day. Not sure which one to follow my instinct is telling me to follow the leaflet that came with the body wash and start the nasal cream

@sunshine03, you have been officially added to the May surgery list! You are now officially a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. Here's a link to tell you how:Starting a new thread and posting With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on Help & Info, then click on How to Use This Forum. Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!

Hi all

3 days to go until left hip replacement operation. Looking forward to it and being pain free but also feeling a bit nervous about the surgery. I have stopped worrying about my weight and also not waking up after surgery. I think I willbe a lot happier when I have woke up in recovery after the general anaesthetic.

hi

I have been reading an NHS website about general anathestic and it said on there that it is more likely you will develop serious complications if you are overweight and having major surgery.

This has concerned me because everyone has told me I will be fine but now after reading this I am not sure and I am starting to having second thoughts about having done because and also I am overweight and having major surgery.

This is part of the article I was reading on the NHS website about general anathesthia

Complications and risks
A number of more serious complications are associated with general anaesthetics, but these are rare.

Possible serious complications and risks include:

• a serious allergic reaction to the anaesthetic (anaphylaxis)
  • waking up during your operation – the amount of anaesthetic given will be continuously monitored to help ensure this doesn't happen
  • death – this is very rare, occurring in around 1 in every 100,000 cases
Serious problems are more likely to occur if you're having major or emergency surgery, you have any other illnesses, you smoke, or you're overweight.

Last edited:
Hi All

I am trying to be positive by saying that I will come through surgery and wake up in recovery ward. I think it is very unlikely anything bad will happen, I think I am just getting a bit nervous with it only be 2 days away. By Thursday evening I will have a brand new hip joint and also be on the recovery side of this forum, nearly there!

Is it very unlikely anything bad will happen while I am having surgery because I am sure that my surgeon and myself want the surgery to go smoothly with no problems.

Good luck to anyone else have surgery this Thursday (31st May) I hope we all have a successful operation and smooth recovery.

Last edited:
I had my RTHR done on the 15th May, so good to know I’m not on my own!
Loving reading all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dpholford, you have been officially added to the May surgery list! You are now officially a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here.

We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum.

To start a new thread about your recovery, hover your mouse over "Knee" or "Hip"on the blue line at the top of the page for the drop down menu.

Click on either the "Pre Op" or "Recovery" forum depending where you are in your journey.

On the upper right hand side under the "Joint Replacement Awareness Day" banner, you will see a black rectangle with the words "Post New Thread" in white.

Click on this, enter whatever title you want for your thread, but do try to keep it short and sweet, then tab down to the dialogue box and start typing your post which can be as long as you need for it to be.

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!

Sunshine03,
Yep I’m getting there!!
It was a shock when I first found out I needed a new hip as I’m only 50 and have been a really on running, walking and cycling and thought I needed a little physio!!
I went into the op feeling like it was happening to someone else and was more worried about coming around from the anaesthetic rather than the recovery!
Thank god I did and yes it’s been a tough start as I kept passing out when they tried to get me out of bed so it was a little scary, especially as there were older ladies getting up and walking around no problem [emoji33]
Eventually was very sick but instantly felt better,
Once home it’s been ok apart from finding it hard to sleep on my back and not over doing it!
When the pain is under control I feel like doing loads but after 20 mins I’ve had enough and that’s hard when I have got a stream of friends coming to see me that’s great but tiring!
The only thing I was worried about was feeling like my operated leg was longer than the other but just hoping it’s going to right itself (fingers crossed)
Sorry for rambling and I love reading all the info from caring people.
Just trying to fine something to wear that goes with green stockings [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023